Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I am starting my pre-op diet on Thursday. I have to be on full liquids for two weeks and I'm nervous that I will get hungry and want to cheat. Those of you who had to do a 2 week pre-op diet, how did you guys do??

I am fortunate that I only had 1 week pre-op. I am still on the 1 week after surgery liquid diet though. I will tell you the first two days were the roughest and I was super grouchy! 4th of July BBQ was much easier. But after a few days your stomach will shrink and it will quit growling for the most part. I just had to keep telling myself that I have to do this. If I can't do it now for surgery then I will not be able to restrict myself afterwards. My surgeon scared the crap out of me as to what would happen if you cheast the first 3 weeks post op so I definatley am being a good girl. 17lbs gone so far and 13 days since day 1 of liquid diet. 5 days since surgery. Good luck with everything and remeber the body can edure some amazing things. Just think of the outcome : )

Hi, I had to do a milk and yogurt diet for 10 days prior to my band op and again for my revision. I found that the best way for me to cope with it was to have a complete blow-out the night before of my favourite takeaway and then I was sorted and my head was in the right place to get on with the pre-op!

I had milk for Breakfast, milk for lunch and milk for tea. I didn't have much yogurt as I can't stand the taste or consistency but I did have the odd oxo cube to satisfy my cravings for savoury. I heated the milk up, whisked it like mad and had it with coffee as a Cappuccino, I drank whenever I felt hungry or had a craving, I let my family prepare their own meals and went upstairs whilst they ate and did everything I could to keep occupied and not thinking about food.

I was also mindful of the fact that my liver needed to shrink for the op and that my surgeon would know if I hadn't stuck to the diet and would possibly cancel as a result. I kept this in mind all the time that by doing this it would make the op easier and safer to perform.

It's not easy but just keep thinking about why you want this op and that you are going to succeed. You can have a moan on here anytime you want and we will all support you!

Good luck!

I had the two week diet. It was hard for the first five days. If you get hungry and have to cheat, do it with a low carb Protein shake. Of course, I am unable to take my own advice and over the course of the 2 weeks had 2 biscuits and some wine. I blame PMS. But I got back on the horse afterwards and kept going with the prescribed diet. I've lost about 15 pounds, so I'm sure my liver is fine (surgery is today). If not, I'll find out soon enough!. One thing that really helped me were DaVinci sugar free flavored syrups, which I put into Isopure Zero Carb Protein powder to make shakes whatever flavor I wanted, instead of buying a bunch of different flavored Protein powders. This saved me more than once from the mind numbing repetition of shake after shake of the same flavor or couple flavors. Tip: make sure you have some Isopure Pluz zero sugar/carb clear RTD for the day before surgery and the 2 days after surgery when you're on clears. It lets you get your Water and your protein in at the same time. They are totally worth the price, and the protein keeps you from feeling so tired. I used the grape flavor. It wasn't great, but it was doable, and doable was what I needed. Good luck the pre-op diet. You can see my blog for my struggles lol. Well, it's off the shower and then to the hospital. Next time you hear from me I'll be sleeved!

Cheers,

Donna

PS another tip-if they give you a bottle of magnesium citrate or other laxative to take the day before surgery, don't take it in the afternoon or you'll be having diarrhea all night. Take it around noon to give it plenty of time to get out of your system before bedtime--and read the bottle, there are some important instructions on there about how to take it. Good luck!

For me I had a one week pre op diet, and I was so worried I'd not stick to it. But.... being aself pay I just kept it in my head that we were spending all this money to 'fix' me... after 20 odd years of dieting... so the least I could do was stick to the diet not to mention the health benefits of shrinking my liver, putting me in the best possible position for a major surgery, losing the most weight possible to give me a head start.

Tips to help you have already been listed like eating seperate from family etc.... avoid temptation if you're likely to be tempted..... I didn't but my head just clicked into the right place.

Stick a sticker on the fridge at eye level saying DON'T EAT!! Every time I went in the fridge for liquids I saw that, and it reminded me. It worked for me.....

If you feel the urge then get out the house, go for a walk, get down the gym... anything but cheat on it. How do you imagine you would feel if they got in there, then closed you back up as you'd not shrunk your liver enough ?? Totally Gutted I bet.

Good luck