Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2006 Band Crew ~ June Chat

Hey! Is anytone exercising yet? I start a program through my surgery center in a week or two (supervise with exercise physiologist). In the mean-time I'm gonna try to walk.. Anyone recently banded tackled the treadmill yet?

Hi DrewsLou,

I am having the same problem as you. I was banded on May 17. I lost about 12 1/2 lbs during the week that I was on Clear liquids, and then when I started eating mushies, I gained back about 3 lbs, and since then I have been going up and down about 2 or 3 lbs. No loss. I've had thoughts that maybe this won't work for me since my metabolism is so slow. So I'm hoping that I will start losing after I get a fill. I'm glad that you are doing better....... that gives me hope! :P

Cathy

Hey Chicas!

I'm glad to hear that everyone is doing well and came through surgery like champs! I am almost 5 weeks out and had my first fill last Tuesday. I am doing great. I gained back 5 pounds from what I lost on the liquid phase when I started mushies but have since lost 4 of that since my fill. I guess 4 pounds in a week isn't so bad! I am just so ready to start seeing more drastic results though. I am down a size in shirts already, to a 22/24 and can now fit very comfortably in a size 22 pants. Some are even too loose! The first place I noticed loss was in my feet of all places. I'm hoping to get out of wide shoes before too long. I can now also take my wedding ring off without greasing myself up... pretty cool!

My bday is coming up soon, June 20. I will be 31 and am excited that this year marks a new me and a new way of life. I feel like I have so much more to look forward to now that I am working on getting healthy. My husband and I are planning on adopting a couple of kiddos here in the next year and for the first time I am not afraid that I won't be able to keep up and play with my kids like I want to be able to do. I know it sounds cheesey but I really feel like I have been given my life back. Each day is a gift that I am finally starting to feel worthy of.

Keep up the good work my friends!

Peace.

I was banded on May 5th. I feel great just hungry all the time. I have my first fill next week, week 6. I am eating anything I want but raw veggies. I can eat alot which scares me. I am just trying to make healthy choices. I lost 20 lbs in a month-wow! I am so pleased but concerned that I am so hungry. I also can still drink while eating. I know I should not but I get so thirsty. I have to work on it. From what I understand, once the restriction is there, I will not bea able to... I am so happy with my decision and look forward to a great 2nd month! Keep up the good work everyone!!

Hello all! I was banded on 5/26 and I'm almost at the end of my second week. I've already lost 24 pounds which is outstanding! I can finally see my ankles again and my clothes are already getting more loose! :clap2: I've been very strict with my diet and I'm following the instructions exactly. I'm so glad I did this (even though I have to look at my friends and family eat burgers, fries, salads, Soups, ice cream, etc. on an almost daily basis). I'm staying strong and I know this was worth it! I'm looking forward to a new me! I'll be 36 in July so I definately have cause to celebrate!:cheer2:

Blessings,

Chris

Just banded 5 days ago. Yeah! I have not had any problems whatsoever. Allready lost 10.5lbs. Started mushies today and had no problems with my first "meal". Although, I almost wish that it would have been painful to eat because now I am panicking about it being too easy to eat. For the first time in my life I feel like I have control over my apetite/ hunger but am still afraid that I will uncontrollably eat something I shouldn't. Really, really working on recognizing the feeling of "fullness". Not sure I have ever felt full before. LOL. My doctor told me that my new stomach would hold around 1/2 cup so my first mushy meal was approx 1/2 cup and I don't feel hungry but I am not sure if I feel full either. Weird. Good luck to all of us! Keep posting.

Yasmin

Feeling full.... now that's a new one for me. I am just now.... 5 weeks out.... learning to recognize what that feels like. I find myself having a hard time leaving food on the plate and being done with it. I have really struggled with that up until a few days ago and then it was like a light bulb went off in my head. I DON'T HAVE TO CLEAN MY PLATE! Noone is going to take away my birthday if I leave food uneaten.

Coming to terms with that has given me a different outlook on food and the choices I make. Funny how much of this crap is in my head!

Hi Everyone....just wanted to check in with ya, I've been doing pretty good. Banded May25th, and have lost 14lbs so far, broke out my Treadmill on Monday, and have been doing about 1.5miles on it daily.:)

Jim

... I also can still drink while eating. I know I should not but I get so thirsty. I have to work on it. From what I understand, once the restriction is there, I will not bea able to...

Robin, I don't think it's that you won't be able to, it's that you shouldn't. The idea is to keep the food in your pouch for awhile so that you feel full for longer. The nerve sensors that indicate fullness are located at the top of the stomach where your new pouch is. If you drink with your meal, it will wash down into your lower stomach and you will feel hungry sooner.

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean that you should.

Just duckie and 3loves - are you taking a multiple Vitamin? I know low potassium levels cause cramps.. maybe eat some bananas (I bought some baby food bananas for my mushy stage, haven't tasted them yet). I'm drinking Carnation Instant Breakfasts and they have Potassium too.

Thanks for the advice Kim. I take my 2 Flinstones and 1 Viactiv. My leg started to cramp this AM when I stretched b4 getting up. Maybe I'll try some bananas. I bet they would be yummy in my Magic Bullet. Oooo....do you think I could add a tsp of Peanut Butter? :hungry: I'm craving peanut butter b/c they told me not to eat it b/c of the fat content.

I have Question. I was banded on 5/31/06. I started having fever first 100 and now it is 101. has any one heard of the body rejecting the band?

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on rejection at this point. Your body is fighting infection somewhere. Don't wait, call your surgeon ASAP. My discharge instructions said the call ASAP if I had a temp over 100.5. Get the message number and they will page your surgeon and they will call you back immediately. You may need some antibiotics. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. I sure hope you get to feeling better soon. I know a fever is not fun.

LJC - Call our doctor asap! You might just have a bug or something, but, you could also have an infection due to surgery. My doctors follow-up care specificaly stated that if I ran a fever to CALL! If it is an infection, you want to get on antibiotics!

So, go call your doc or go to an urgent care as soon as you read this! Infections can get go from bad to worse very quickly and, you don't want to jeopardize your band!

Well, it's 4 am and I am off to California for a few days!

Take care all and I'll see you when I get back!!!!!!!

Thanks Kim! My son told me to do the same thing. I have some potasium pills, I've started taking them a couple of days ago and haven't had any cramps except in my hands -- weird place to have them! :) But I get my first fill today and won't be able to take any for a couple of days, so maybe I'll try mushed up bananas. I take liquid Centrum. It taste bad, but it's easier to take than pills.

Someone asked about exercise......Ohhhh Baby! Do I exercise.:D I did a 60 minute aerobic/weight lifting tape and today I am sore. But I feel my arms and tummy starting to tighten up. :clap2: They make you do these killer crunches. In every position you can imagine.:omg: By the end, my muscles are just jelly. But it's good and really, by the time I leave the gym, I'm feeling pretty good. And it forces me to drink Water. Lots of it. Lots and lots of it. :eek: :)

Ladies, have a great day!

Hi all. I'm looking forward to working out at the gym. I'm not quite 2 weeks post op so my abdomen is still sore around the port site so I'm holding on going to the gym for now. I can't wait to feel up to going to the gym and start toning up! I also can't wait to start sleeping on my sides again. Sleeping on my back constantly is really prohibiting me from sleeping well. But, my philosophy - remain positive as this is soooo worth it! :wave: