Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Missing my Friday night wine

Am curious when it is safe to drink a little alcohol again? I am missing partaking of adult beverages on Friday evenings...I am only 4 weeks out so I am sure it is way too soon. But just curious, I have heard wine is probably too rough, perhaps too acidy and that post op 3 months is ok to try a little of something like a frozen drink, daquiri, margarita or pina coloda perhaps?...I am sure this has been asked before but I'm a neeby so please indulge me with your experiences/recommendations. Thanks!

I was released for alcohol at 3ish months. Doc warned me it's wasted calories so just don't go overboard. I drank Riesling the first time, and it hit me kinda hard and fast, but wore off pretty fast as well.

I drink socially now, and have a glass of wine once maybe twice a week. I've tried margarita, and they didn't settle well. But, mixed drinks, rum/coke, and various shots work just fine. My tolerance is like it was pre-op, it doesn't hit me hard and fast, and I can maintain a decent buzz. I don't drink a lot, but when I do, the big plus is that I rarely get a hangover anymore.

My dietitian said 6 months post-op I could try to drink. And they also recommend wine as a "first drink," actually. I think she said my "first" time to try 4 oz. or less of a white wine (fine with me!). And actually...I was naughty. At about 2 1/2 months post-op I tasted a wine (in the store kinda thing), and had my first actual glass of wine at about 4 months. I also had a daquiri at about 4 1/2 months. None of it really bothered me, though the first time I drank I noticed it hit me a lot harder, though that could've been because I hadn't drunk at all in so long. I also find that I don't really enjoy it as much anymore. It's kind of strange.

Anyway, as a piece of advice, I would say if you're going to drink maybe try to stay away from the margaritas, daquiris, etc. just because those mixes can add a lot of calories and sugar. But otherwise, I say go for it. :001_cool:

Okay - you all know I like my vodka martinis so I had to way in on this one. I had my first 1/2 martini at about 9.5 weeks post op. I know I was supposed to wait until 3 months post-op but many of us know that didn't happen. I have had no problems with an occasional drink (or two) and primarily stick to vodka because I can mix it with anything including crystal light, or my favorite dirty vodka martini. It's easier to monitor the "empty calories" when it's simply crystal light and a shot or two of vodka, rather than all the sugary mixers. Thus far, I haven't had any problems with any of it, but we all know it's just empty calories so use caution. :001_cool:

Okay - you all know I like my vodka martinis so I had to way in on this one. I had my first 1/2 martini at about 9.5 weeks post op. I know I was supposed to wait until 3 months post-op but many of us know that didn't happen. I have had no problems with an occasional drink (or two) and primarily stick to vodka because I can mix it with anything including crystal light, or my favorite dirty vodka martini. It's easier to monitor the "empty calories" when it's simply crystal light and a shot or two of vodka, rather than all the sugary mixers. Thus far, I haven't had any problems with any of it, but we all know it's just empty calories so use caution. :001_cool:

I shouldn't have read this post. I never thought of crystal light with it! LOL...I have two bottles of vodka in the freezer (they've both been in there almost a year already, and one was a 21st birthday gift!)....vodka was my first love. :thumbup:

Whoops - sorry.

I have learned a trick or two on WL drinking. When mixing your crystal light (I really like the Ocean Spray Cranberry 5 calorie packets with a squeeze of lime and vodka - a diet cape cod), use only about 3/4 of the Water indicated. This makes it sweeter and better as a mixer. By the time you add vodka and ice, it's perfect. IMO, if you make it as indicated, it tastes watered down as a mixer. Cheers!! :001_cool:

thanks for the tips and comments. only 2 more months to go. I love cape cods!! :-)