Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No more philly cheesesteaks... *sob*

Well, I had a big moment of food regret today when I was out for my fitness walk (2.2 miles today! huzzah!) All along the Seattle waterfront (where my walk goes) are these amazing restaurants, big and small, from deli to Anthony's (anyone in Seattle will know Anthony's).

The food smells were dizzying and delicious. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not HUNGRY. It's just that after three weeks of being on mushy/slushy foods and Protein shakes, the idea of one of those delicious, meaty, hearty philly cheesesteak sandwiches was just... overwhelming. And then I got to thinking "well, with the bread... and the meat is sometimes a little tough... I can't have a philly. Ever again! WAAAAH!"

Don't get me wrong, I'd still get sleeved again in a minute, and I still think fitness and health and self-esteem are WAY more important than a stupid sandwich. But the thought of never again, no more philly cheesesteak and a beer while people watching on a warm summer day... that made me sad!

I'm a strange creature, I know :thumbup:

I'm not lucky enough to have been sleeved yet, but with me, I'm pretty sure it's going to be extra cheese pizza from Hungry Howies.

Maybe one really, really small bite will go down and not make me sick????

Good luck and way to stay positive...

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to have a Philly ever again. Maybe make it at home so you can make it healthier, but I think you're overlooking the point of the sleeve. Eventually (with some exceptions), we should be able to eat whatever we want...in small amounts (and moderation, of course). That's why I chose the sleeve. Hopefully this is cheering you up a bit! :thumbup:

And by the way, if you're looking for a way to enjoy the flavor of a philly cheesesteak right now??.... Snacks.html" rel="external nofollow">theworldaccordingtoeggface: Super Bowl Snacks

I've made those "bites" and they are YUM! I would think these would qualify as mushies or soft-solids. And they are protein-packed! When I first made them, eating very slowly, 2 of the bites would fill me up. Now I can probably do 3, maybe 3 1/2. Seriously, try them, I promise you won't miss the bread. :thumbup:

Although...I hear ya on the beer. I love cider (the British kind, like Strongbow, Magners, Bulmers, etc.)...but it's carbonated. :sad0:

You will be able to have a Philly

cheesesteak. You won't be able to eat the whole thing of course. Honestly, there is nothing that I can't eat. Sometimes I can only eat a few bites of something as filling as that, but I can go back later and eat some more. One thing we do get used to as sleeved people, are leftovers!

On one hand, we all love food. On the other hand, we hate being obese and miserable.

I think the one thing we all need a little reminding of is that anything can be modified, or tweeked just a little to make it more sleeve friendly. You could make philly cheesesteak crescent wraps, or wrap up the meat, cheese, whiz, onion/peppers, etc into a low carb wrap then slice it into 1-2inch little philly cheesesteak pinwheels.

Crescent rolls aren't as dense as normal bread/buns, and while I can't eat a lot of one, it does give me my "pizza fix". I make pizza roll up pinwheels all the time with crescent rolls. You can add anything as the filling and go from there.

I know right now you're just kind of sharing your "ah ha" moment. I want to let everyone know that some stuff that I thought I would ever eat again, is completely doable. Not in huge volumes, but doable so the experience is pleasurable.

First of all you are not strange!

I don't see any reason at all why you won't be able to have a cheesesteak again, I have been able to eat all of the foods I did before surgery. But like the others said you will just not be eating as much! I average about 3 meals out of a dining experience! I always have tons of left overs.

And yes I know Anthony's.....num!!! I'm hungry so all of this talk about food is not helping!

No worries, you will have cheesesteak again, maybe not while drinking a beer!

I had that exact same feeling when I realized no more eating copious amounts of brooklyn style pepperoni pizza! It's my favorite!!

Like many veteran sleevers have already posted, yes you can have it again if you want it. You just won't be able to each much of it. I found thru my journey that I still like the "idea" of sandwiches and burgers. Now them I am getting closer to goal, I let myself have them on occasion. I usually have a couple bites, for the experience of it all together (to feed the craving in my mind). I then usually don't want any more and nibble on the Protein from the middle until I've had enough (to feed my body).

Tonight my husband made pizza, it smelled sooo good I just had to have a slice. I ate 3 bites slowly and enjoyed it but then didn't want any more and grabbed a chobani yogurt. IMO - Once your body gets really accustomed to utilizing healthier fuel, it craves healthier food.

I'm only 8 weeks post op and I had a piece of a cuban sandwich. Philly cheesesteak couldn't be any worse than that. It was great and I didn't have any problems with my sleeve. I had about a fourth of the size of sandwich that I might have eaten before, and I still ended up taking about half the bread off--but the taste was there and I was really OK that I couldn't eat more. It was enough to satisfy the desire to have an old favorite.

I'm not sleeved yet, but I've been mourning the loss of Philly cheese Steaks for 8 years now. We moved to Oklahoma 8 years ago from Pennsylvania and we can't find an authentic Philly Cheese Steak anywhere. I still think about how delicious they are. I guess I'll have to get used to missing many different foods after my surgery. It's gonna be ok though. I guess we'll just have to adjust.