Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Creamy Jalapeno Sauce

My absolute favorite Tex-Mex restaurant is Chuy's. They serve a Creamy Jalapeno dip (Creamy "J") and since I moved away from TX, I crave it often. I did a search for it and tried out one of the copycat recipes, and this tastes really close! I like to use lowfat stuff in it and eat it over refried Beans (and other mexican dishes), but with refried Beans is a quick snack and it really gives them a kick! You can adjust the heat by adding less jalapenos. :)

CREAMY JALAPENO SAUCE

3/4 C low fat mayo

3/4 C buttermilk (low fat...regular milk can be subbed)

1 packet hidden valley ranch dry dressing mix

1 (4 oz) can sliced jalapenos, drained)

cilantro leaves, fresh (to taste)

1 t. salt

1 t. lime juice

1 t. garlic powder

I just throw it all in the blender and add the cilantro last. I put a lot of cilantro in it and just keep tasting it until I get it right!

Sounds super yummy, thanks for posting. If I make it, I'll have to cut out the cilantro.

When I finally convinced John to try Mexican food, we went to On the Border (it's a safe bet that I knew he would find something that he would like). Anyways, while eating, he kept saying that he had this weird soapy, metallic taste in his mouth. We requested new utensils, and a new drinking glass thinking it was that causing the issue. As he continued to eat, I noticed that every time he took a bite of his steak (covered in cilantro, and cilantro/butter glaze of some sort) is the only time he had this happen. He could "wash" the taste out of his mouth with soda. When we got back to his apt, I googled it, and low and behold, a lot of people can't tolerate cilantro. I have to substitute parsley for all the recipes that call for cilantro.

Sounds super yummy, thanks for posting. If I make it, I'll have to cut out the cilantro.

When I finally convinced John to try Mexican food, we went to On the Border (it's a safe bet that I knew he would find something that he would like). Anyways, while eating, he kept saying that he had this weird soapy, metallic taste in his mouth. We requested new utensils, and a new drinking glass thinking it was that causing the issue. As he continued to eat, I noticed that every time he took a bite of his steak (covered in cilantro, and cilantro/butter glaze of some sort) is the only time he had this happen. He could "wash" the taste out of his mouth with soda. When we got back to his apt, I googled it, and low and behold, a lot of people can't tolerate cilantro. I have to substitute parsley for all the recipes that call for cilantro.

I am one of those people who can't tolerate it! I hate cilantro! And I love Mexican food, hahaha... it can be difficult!

Wow, does parsley even come close??? I used to hate cilantro, but now I really like it if it is not overpowering.

Wow, does parsley even come close??? I used to hate cilantro, but now I really like it if it is not overpowering.

It's kind of close, but definitely not the same. I wish I could sneak it in, but I know that he would figure it out since cilantro is the only that makes his mouth taste funky.

Could you put in fresh jalapenos? has anyone tried it this way? I was totally addicted to this sauce at Chuey's, tried to make it once but it wasn't close enough. I will definately try this.

Could you put in fresh jalapenos? has anyone tried it this way? I was totally addicted to this sauce at Chuey's, tried to make it once but it wasn't close enough. I will definately try this.
I don't know why you couldn't use fresh jalapenos. I only use fresh in my salsa and have never tried it with this dip. But it might be yummy!

I made it today with fresh and it's great! You mentioned putting it on refried beans- what is everyone else putting it on?
I have dipped veggies in it (carrots, broccoli), and I dip tortilla chips in it too! I like to put it over anything mexican, pretty much!!!

it is nice to see that something spicy is still OK.. that is one of my biggest fears. I love spicy food and don't think I could give it up entirely... :001_tongue:

Try adding about a 1/4 to 1/3 cup tomatillo salsa to this, it's great!

Hi, We had our surgeries a day apart. This sounds really good, but I'd really like to know what all your eating. I haven't been near as creative as you. I've had tuna salad, egg salad, Soup, Protein Drinks. Would you send me a quick line and let me know about a typical day of your food? Thanks, Sheryl

Oh, yummy! Thanks for posting this, I have had it before and loveeeeee it. Had no idea it was so easy to make.