Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kicking my PPI - Day 7...

Hey Gang,

Here is my follow up to a thread that was running a week or so ago about the dangers of ppi's, long term consequences, etc., that gave me enough initiative to try and get off; afterall, the entire reason I had a VSG in the first place was to get and stay healthy, not cause more problems for myself.

So, I had my VSG on Jan 25 and took Nexium as prescribed, once a day, for three months. If I didn't take it, I paid dearly. Needless to say, I took it religiously in the morning and on the rare occasion I had to take a half tab in the evening. Ran out, bought Prilosec OTC which worked just fine. Enter the thread as mentioned above.

Last Tuesday was my first day since surgery (except for forgotten days or the couple of days at the very beginning when I thought I didn't need it - ha!) that I didn't take my PPI but did take a Zantac 150. No problem. Next day, no problem and so on. Thrilled so far! A couple of times I did take a half Zantac in the evening to kill any burning that was coming up. Worked like a charm. I think I'm on the road to being acid pill free! Not sure how long I'll have to take the Zantac but I'm taking that one day at a time now. I hope it's not as bad for us as the PPI's seem to be... Anyone know?

I know it's only been a week but the only real hiccup so far was last night; I decided to have a small Starbucks regular coffee... what a mistake; burning, "hunger", pain, churning, burping, noise, the overwhelming urge to get something in my gut - not carbs or anything, really wanted some cheese actually so got some. It helped. Lesson learned and I KNEW from past experience that coffee in the evening has been a no-no since surgery. Not sure why - I do just fine with it in the morning but just can't do it at night anymore. This was the case too with coffee with the PPI's.

So, there you have it. If you're thinking about getting off, maybe give Zantac a shot and see what happens.

Good Luck!

Carol

Thanks for sharing Carol. I'm still too much of a wuss to wean off until I meet with the surgeon later this month or next month for my 1 year follow up.

I may go to 1 Prilosec every other day, and see how it goes. I'm just a wuss LOL, and don't want any acid.

Is that the churning "hunger" sensation that I get daily? I have been so confused because I usually only feel hungry after I eat! When I have my two cups of Decaf a day my stomach doesn't hurt but it goes crazy, I feel hungry and it growls and carrys on. I have never taken a PPI and my surgeon never mentioned one.

Is that the churning "hunger" sensation that I get daily? I have been so confused because I usually only feel hungry after I eat! When I have my two cups of Decaf a day my stomach doesn't hurt but it goes crazy, I feel hungry and it growls and carrys on. I have never taken a PPI and my surgeon never mentioned one.

Oh wow! I don't know how you've gone almost two months without! Yes, it sounds like what you are describing is acid. Maybe try one of the PPI's and see if it helps. That said, if you've gone this long, maybe you'll be ok...? I've finally come to the point where I can identify real hunger and it definitely is NOT the churning, burning, extremely annoying, almost painful sensation that acid produces. Kind of just a low rumble - a distant relative of a true hunger pang - that can be easily ignored. It's taken me a long time to be able to identify real hunger. Kind of a duh moment, really, haven't eaten in 12 hours? yep, real hunger!

Good Luck!

C

Hey Tiffs! Aww, you can do it. If I can, you certainly can and you are the furthest thing from a WUSS there is! Sheesh, look at all you've been thru! It really hasn't been that bad so far but after last night's coffee incident, maybe it's coincidence, maybe not but I have a hunch that the PPI isn't truly out of our system for maybe a week or longer after stopping... the Zantac is working wonders so far.

Have a great week!!!

C

Before when I was at my heaviest I had to take anacids, non stop! Since surgery I have taken only one, that was after a onion chicken experiment that I did! LOL The only thing that I ever found that worked for me, and my hubby was Zantac, so glad I don't have to take them anymore.

One question...if you take them does it keep you form eating?? Or does it just stop your tummy from doing all of the grumbling? I really don't think I get actual hunger pains, but my tummy makes wierd noises all the time.

I am almost a week off my PPI too. The first few days were hell. My stomach hurt really badly. It just plan ached. The heartburn was nearly unmanageable. Dr Aceves told me to take Gavescon as needed and I took some Sunday but didn't need any today. He said it takes 2 weeks to get off of it. I hope I can stay off it.

Congratulations Carol! And thanks for the tip about Zantac. I've been off of mine for about a month (forgot to take for a few days and felt fine so just stopped all together) except for this past weekend when I felt really bad heartburn one day and took it in the evening for some relief.

I've been off my PPI for about 2 weeks now. I've been using Pepcid AC chewables when I feel the acid coming on - some days I need one, some days I don't. It's not nearly as bad as before though. My surgeon told me he didn't want me to take it for more than 3 months, and to get off of it as soon as possible.

Before when I was at my heaviest I had to take anacids, non stop! Since surgery I have taken only one, that was after a onion chicken experiment that I did! LOL The only thing that I ever found that worked for me, and my hubby was Zantac, so glad I don't have to take them anymore.

One question...if you take them does it keep you form eating?? Or does it just stop your tummy from doing all of the grumbling? I really don't think I get actual hunger pains, but my tummy makes wierd noises all the time.

My stomach rarely makes any noise, and I'm literally never hungry.

I think deep down, mentally, that my biggest fear with going off my Prilosec is that I'll be starving. I love not being hungry, I have a schedule for my meals, I am able to sense when I need to eat. Going off the Prilosec may cause hunger, and honestly I eat a lot as it is without hunger, how will it be when my stomach actually growls? Hopefully that makes sense.

OK I am confused. What is the difference in Zantac and the PPI's? I take protonix and tried at my 3 month appt to go off and felt crappy and went right back on it. I am concered about staying on it too long and wonder if I should try again soon. I only gave it two days when I stopped.

Zantac will get rid of acid once you get it. The ppis stop acid from forming. I was on protonix (a PPI) also and I've been off of it a week now.Like I said, the first few days were miserable, but I seem to be fine now.I am happy to be off of it.

Zantac will get rid of acid once you get it. The ppis stop acid from forming. I was on protonix (a PPI) also and I've been off of it a week now.Like I said, the first few days were miserable, but I seem to be fine now.I am happy to be off of it.

Daisy, did Dr. Aceves recommend Protonix initially?

Dr. Aceves recommended Nexium but Protonix is just as good and I took the generic cause it was so much cheaper. My PCP told me Protonix is comparable to Nexium.