Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Job interview help needed

So I'm past the first hurdle in getting back my "real" job that I left seven years ago, a job I loved and to which I desperately want to return. I had a conference-call interview with a search committee, and now they've invited me back for a 3D interview with three people.

Here's where I need help: How does one negotiate for a salary? I haven't interviewed for a job in eons. Maybe ever? The last time I talked about compensation for a new job, I took what was on offer and left it at that. I was 23 years old. :)

They've said the salary is "negotiable." I know what I need to make, and would love to make more (of course). I know they can afford my floor, and how high they might be willing to go depends, I guess, on how badly they want me. If they can't meet my floor I'd be prepared to decline, though sadly, but as I said I know they can afford it. But I don't want to settle for my floor just because I know they can swing it. I know they can swing more, if they want me.

So how does this work in the real world? When and how does the money discussion take place? Before or after they offer me the job? Are they going to bring it up at our meeting next week? Do I ask what they're offering and make a counteroffer? Doesn't a job offer involve a salary offer as well? How does this work?!?!?!

To complicate things, this is not a corporate setting, and these people are likely just as naive as I am. I'm trying to prepare, so I can appear confident in this process. I already know I'm their first interview that day (out of 5 candidates, I'm told), and I can't decide if that's good or bad. My experience with the organization makes me, I'd think, uniquely well-qualified for the job, but of course I'm not counting my chickens just yet.

Thanks for any war stories or tips in this arena. I really appreciate it!!

My DH is the king of this. He pulls stuff out of his butt that surprises me sometimes. I will ask him when he gets home....he was called back to work tonight b/c of a power surge from the storms. :faint:

I think it is a good thing that you are the first to be interviewed and I'm sure they did that on purpose. Usually the stronger candidates are first so that they can "compare" the others to the "baseline" (you!).

I don't have a lot of info about the salary negotiation but also...don't forget that at the time you discuss salary, you can also negotiate other terms of the contract (ie. vacation time etc). Sometimes holiday periods are more important than salary (depending on your priorities and what you want. Also, hours can be negotiable etc. Don't forget about those "little things".

Either way: GOOD LUCK1

I’m a consultant for Payroll, HR & Recruiting Software. I see hundreds of clients and totally amazed at the differences that people make that do the exact same job. It all depends on how they negotiated.

I've seen HR Managers making anywhere from 30,000 to 95,000, I've seen Payroll Managers making as low as 19,000 and as high as 70,000... I'm just always astounded by the differences.

I had to negotiate my last salary and I know I came in too low. I could tell by how quick they said yes and didn't even think about it.

I believe they will take the lead in asking, "What type of salary are you looking for?"... I would respond with something high (quite a bit higher then your floor) ... and then tell them you are willing to take less with a 6 month and 1 year increase schedule to get you where you want to be based upon performance.

This keeps your options up while taking less without the risk of "no raise" for years. It's always best to get it in writing during this time too. I see new people come into companies and they've negotiated double vacation... benefits early and all kinds of things I wouldn't have thought to ask for...

The reason I know about all these perks is they have to come to me to make the rules based software work for the 'many' exceptions.

If you have to take less make sure you get something in return so you don’t seem like a pushover… like the extra vacation or benefits or higher increase amount during your reviews.

Say "I'll compromise on XX,XXX (# of dollars) per year, but I except to be making the salary I want within two years and I would like my contract to reflect an increase schedule to get me to that level etc etc.

Thanks, Gopher. The other things are valuable, of course, but having had this job in the past I know there's only so much vacation one can TAKE without it biting me in the butt. At one point in that job, my bennies included four weeks' vacation and five personal days. I'd racked up almost three months of unused vacation after several years, which turned out to be a good thing since I used it all for maternity leave. :)

But there is something I DO want, and that's telecommutation. I'm still going around and around in my head about how to bring that up. The job is one where it would be, I believe, within my own sphere of responsibility to decide how and when to incorporate telecommuting--but of course I will be upfront about my plans.

What I mean is, I don't want to ASK them if I can, but rather get into the job and then set it up so that I can work from home some days just because it works better for me that way.

It's definitely in the back of my head, and I'll reserve it as a bargaining chip. It really is worth more to me than the 5K difference we'd likely be talking about anyway.

Alexandra,

Congrats on being interviewed for the job you want. I have no doubt, since you're well qualified for the job, they know you, and are interviewing you first, that they'll offer you the job.

1st thing, don't let them know how much you want that job! It'll bring any $$ amount they have in mind down.

Wait for them to bring up money. Chances are they'll offer you the job and will either make the offer with a dollar amount attatched OR will make an offer and want to discuss your salary. Try not to be the one to give a figure first. If you tip your hand, they'll make the lowest offer they can, sometimes even lowering from the amount you suggest. The reason they would do that is because they'll think you're negotiating by throwing a number out and that that number is your high end. Try to avoid being the one to offer a figure. Remember, they're trying to get the best deal they can too, so their first offer will be on their low end.

Be prepared for the negotiations by knowing how much others in your field are making.

Figure out how much you want to make and counter their offer to above what you will accept. Either they'll agree to your price or they'll tell you that they can't offer that much. But don't dispair! THAT'S the time you get to make them put their offer on the table. WHEN THEY DO, see if you can negotiate for some additional benefits to bring the two figures together. For instance, you can ask for additional vacation time, or 1/2 days on Fridays, or . . . whatever.

Obviously you should try to get a feel for how strongly they want you for the job. The more they want you, the more they'll be willing to negotiate.

If your discussion begins with a scenario in which they're wavering between you and another candidate, or you have a group interview - the worst! - you'll have to re-assess your negotiations.

What kind of job? Why did you leave it before?

Wow, Cashley, thanks!! This is a not-for-profit, though, not a corporation, so I doubt I'd be able to go "quite a bit higher" than my floor. We're really only talking about a 10K difference between what they've mentioned as being "negotiable" and what I would consider "really good as a start." If we split that difference and add in the flexibility to telecommute two days a week, I'm GOLDEN. :biggrin1:

It's the executive-directorship of a not-for-profit membership organization, and I left because I couldn't continue commuting five days a week with a baby at home. Plus, I was burned out and exhausted. Now I know part of that was my undiagnosed and untreated thyroid condition, plus the demands of new mom-hood.

I'm a whole new woman now (and a whole lot smaller) and completely ready to pick up the reins again.

I work with a lot of non-profits also... actually sometimes they pay more then the private sector.

Since you don't feel that you should ask for "quite a bit higher" I would wait for the offer... say "Well I was thinking of XX,xxx but I'd be willing to start work with your offer providing we can negotiate an increase on this date and a second increase on this date to get me where I want to be"

Thanks, Jack. Can I borrow your AARRR growl? That should help!

The field is notoriously underpaid, because of the not-for-profit status. Many other people in similar jobs have law degrees and "real" jobs, for example. But it's in NYC, and I am and have been their bookkeeper for the intervening period so I know exactly how much money they have. And it's a WHOLE lot more than they had when I left (and they replaced me with 1.5 people!).

(Before anyone asks, there was a policy change the year after I left that allowed them to start accepting corporate sponsorships. That's why they have more money. It's not because of anything I did or didn't do.)

Cashley, does it matter what I'm making now? I mean, how appropriate is it to say "I'm making XXX now" with the implication being "beat that if you want me, big boys"?

That's what I did last time... I said well I'm being paid XX,xxx and I make average about xx,xxx incentive (bonus) per year. I would need to start with at least xx,xxx...

They gave it to me right away... I'm not sure that I should of done that but it worked.... now I realize I should have asked for more then I was making (see I told them the truth) so I didn't come out with as much as I really wanted. I did negotiate the raise after 1 year and jumped up about 6,000 which wasn't too bad of a jump.

What I'm making now is almost exactly what they're paying their current person, so when I add in what they're ALSO paying me to do their books, I get my floor number. I'd just get to combine two jobs into one, basically. My current job has better benefits, though, so I can throw those around as well.

But basically I think we're all in the same ballpark, so I just want to avoid getting taken advantage of.

Good Luck!!

Also, I found this on askmen.com (funny they would know wouldn't they)

Make More Then The Average Salary

The onus is on you to arm yourself with information to justify your argument for better pay. Here are some sample questions to toss out as you negotiate your salary, whether for an entry-level position or not:

What is the salary range for the position?

What is the basis for that range? In other words, what does a person in this position need to have to rise to the upper range?

Is there precedent for the company to go beyond that range? If so, what were the circumstances? If not, what has to occur in the future for that precedent to be set?

What is the average salary raise for this position from one year to the next?

How often will a person in this position be subject to a performance and salary review? What are the milestones a person in this position has to attain on a regular basis in order to receive a raise or promotion without negotiation?

do your research

You have to conduct a fair amount of diligence on your own in order to be in a good position to negotiate a higher wage. Apart from the information you may derive from the questions above, here are some more points to address before you make your plea. I suggest, for one, that you do whatever you can to discover the average industry salary range for your job type. There is quite a bit of pertinent information available on the Internet (check the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics), so the World Wide Web is your best bet here.

Advertisements for like jobs that list a salary range are an obvious barometer as well. In addition, ask friends, family and industry contacts you trust to offer their two cents too. They may know something you do not.

Last but not least, it may be worth your while to contact professional associations, recruiters and headhunters and find out what you can about the average salary for your job and industry. Just remember to take the information with a grain of salt and cross-reference it thoroughly.

The data you uncover with a bit of research may lend a very persuasive and powerful argument your way.

...at the job interview

This comes up a lot in questions readers send my way, so I will address it here. It is never comfortable to discuss salary when the job is not even yours yet, but the question is inevitable and is, in essence, your first potential turn at wage negotiations. When an employer asks what your salary requirements are, never answer directly. For the most part, this is a lose-lose proposition. Instead, relay the expectations of the position and what you hope to deliver in return. and then ask what the range is.

In the same vein, realize the fruitlessness of an honest, or even dishonest, response when an employer asks about your previous salary. Rather, tell them that your preference is to discuss the requirements of the job further before you negotiate compensation.

In addition, always offer the employer an opportunity to increase the offer on the table. Never jump at a salary they throw your way. Instead, take the time to consider it and whenever possible, increase the range so that their top figure is your bottom figure. Thus, a $40,000 to $45,000 salary range becomes $45,000 to $50,000 when you counter-offer. Just make sure that there is industry precedent for that wage.

As you embark on your mission to get paid , remember, above all else, never to bend the truth. Be honest about why you deserve a raise and if they press you, do give the exact salary of your previous job.

One last tip is to bear in mind the company's total investment in you as an employee, from a health plan, company car or any other perks they remunerate you with. If they grant you a raise, one of these could somehow disappear. Make sure that this doesn't happen -- get everything in writing.

Best of luck.

When an employer asks what your salary requirements are, never answer directly. For the most part, this is a lose-lose proposition. Instead, relay the expectations of the position and what you hope to deliver in return. and then ask what the range is.

This is the part I'm having trouble envisioning. I know what they pay their current person; I know they've already said "$xxx (negotiable)"; I know THEY know that I know their bottom line better than they do; I just can't picture how this conversation is actually going to go.

Them: "What are your salary requirements?"

My instinctive response would be: "You're paying B $xxx, and you're paying me $8K to do the books. Combine those numbers and we get $XXX+8K. I want $XXX + 15K because I am MUCH better qualified than B is, and I know you can afford me. Take it or leave it."

That won't work, probably, right? :)