Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really struggling with eating

I am not sure what to do. I never feel like eating. Nothing sounds good or tempting or even satiable. I can eat two to three spoonfuls and get full (and I am using baby spoons). I worry that my sleeve really shrunk during the time I was on the feeding tube. Essentially I had nothing in my mouth/stomach for 3 full months. And now that I can eat I am really struggling. My biggest concern is that I am not getting more than 20 g Protein in a day. I know this is horrible. I am not looking for a lecture. I am unable to get anything in. I have tried every Protein Drink. I literally throw up, walk around the house gagging and trying with all my willpower to keep one sip down. I have tried holding my nose, a straw, anything. I mix with Water, or milk, both make me sick. Surprisingly my labs last week were all fine. I was shocked by that, I wondered if my body is just really good! or if that is just still from the tube feedings. My nut says I can have any thing with Protein, not to worry about carbs, etc. But even the premixed drinks (carnation, etc) make me really ill and nauseous.

I just want to have something crunchy, when can I eat a chip and salsa? Or a tiny chicken wing? Ir a taco shell? please don't flame me! I haven't eaten in 4 months and I just can hardly take it anymore! But I am so scared to even try anything!!!

Sorry this is going a few different directions, any suggestions are welcome. I was on full liquids for two weeks and now am doing mushies and trying to advance to more. My husband tries to get me to eat, you can have anything, just small amounts, but I am scared, why? I have no idea!!

I'm sorry I can't offer any advice. But it is completely understandable that you're scared to eat! I would be too had I gone through what you have in the past few months. I'm sorry I can't offer any help, but I'm sendinf you a cyberhug and hoping things get better for you soon!

Thanks MidwestGirl! What are you eating now? Can you eat a taco? We should be in the same place now =(

If you've been released for regular food, then you could try to eat something crunchy. I started off slow with crunchy stuff, I ate those big thick pretzel sticks with some mustard, it was only a couple of bites, and I was done. It was just enough crunch to satisfy that need, it got super soft and dissolved with me chewing it.

I know it's tough and you're right your sleeve is probably smaller because it hasn't had anything in it in so long. So, it's going to take you some time to be able to get in anything of substance.

The Protein drinks suck, and I had a really hard time getting in Protein until I could tolerate chicken and tuna salad. Even then it was really difficult.

I'm almost 11 months out, and I can only 1/2 taco with meat, cheese and sour cream. I was scared to eat too because of the complications we went through, but you're gonna have to eat. Your body needs it, mentally you will feel better.

Thanks MidwestGirl! What are you eating now? Can you eat a taco? We should be in the same place now =(

Well, to be honest, I'm not limiting my food choices at all. My dietitian has told me not to worry about carbs so long as I'm getting my Protein in first. I try to watch the sugar content and other general nutritional value in what I eat, but I basically eat whatever I want (within reason!). I know I'm the type of person that if I limit myself in my food choices, I'll end up binging later, which would really suck with tiny tummy :blink:. I try to make good choices, and sometimes I don't make the best ones, but that's why we did this, right? :thumbup: Wow, sorry about my ramble. To answer your question, I can eat a taco, just not a whole lot of one! I think I've only really had tacos once since surgery and I got some kind of obscure organic-section brand of soft-shell wraps that was low carb, some kind of herb flavor. I made it small but I still couldn't eat it all. I don't measure out my food any more, but if I had to guess I would say I'm eating somewhere between 2-4oz. at a meal, depending on exactly what it is I'm eating.

I know it must suck right now, but just think! A month ago you weren't eating food at all, so you ARE making progress! Like Tiffy said, you gotta eat something, girl! I know you said you get full after only a couple bites, so if you have the option maybe try eating lots of itty bitty meals throughout the day? I'm not sure how viable that is depending on your schedule, but that may make you able to get more Protein in without feeling like your sleeve is going to explode! Hang in there, Stacie! Things will get better! You'll catch up to me food-wise in no time! :blushing:

Well first of all I am so happy you are on foods. YEAH! You know I'm always telling everyone to boil a chicken...so boil a chicken. Can you eat broth with some slivers of overboiled chicken in it?

If it were me I'd try to get the Protein in very natural ways, but gentle.

If you need something crunchy...how about trying something that is crunchy but dissolves before you swallow it like lay's chips low salt or pringles...that is what I'd do. I had crunchy stuff pretty soon and I did better with that than with THICK stuff like tuna salad or refried Beans (had to be pretty thin) or even baked potato. If it is thick it is scarey to me.

But finally, let me address your weight loss. I mean, one hell of a way to lose it of course Stacie, but let me tell you that you are over half way there and on some level you have to be loving that...or you will be soon.

I am not sure what to do. I never feel like eating. Nothing sounds good or tempting or even satiable. I can eat two to three spoonfuls and get full (and I am using baby spoons). I worry that my sleeve really shrunk during the time I was on the feeding tube. Essentially I had nothing in my mouth/stomach for 3 full months. And now that I can eat I am really struggling. My biggest concern is that I am not getting more than 20 g Protein in a day. I know this is horrible. I am not looking for a lecture. I am unable to get anything in. I have tried every Protein Drink. I literally throw up, walk around the house gagging and trying with all my willpower to keep one sip down. I have tried holding my nose, a straw, anything. I mix with Water, or milk, both make me sick. Surprisingly my labs last week were all fine. I was shocked by that, I wondered if my body is just really good! or if that is just still from the tube feedings. My nut says I can have any thing with Protein, not to worry about carbs, etc. But even the premixed drinks (carnation, etc) make me really ill and nauseous.

I just want to have something crunchy, when can I eat a chip and salsa? Or a tiny chicken wing? Ir a taco shell? please don't flame me! I haven't eaten in 4 months and I just can hardly take it anymore! But I am so scared to even try anything!!!

Sorry this is going a few different directions, any suggestions are welcome. I was on full liquids for two weeks and now am doing mushies and trying to advance to more. My husband tries to get me to eat, you can have anything, just small amounts, but I am scared, why? I have no idea!!

Sorry to butt in on this thread since I have absolutely no experience with this. I just wanted to say that I'm so excited to hear that you've been cleared to advance your diet. I remember reading about your complications and I think it's great that that part of things is behind you. I sincerely hope that the issues you're having with eating are resolved soon. If nothing else, your body has proven that it can get past extreme challenges. BTW, I recall reading a thread about people doing well with Pork rinds. Have you tried those?

Stacie,

I'm a newbie so I don't have experience with the sleeve (going to the hospital tomorrow for the "event"), but I know when I read someone in hurt, pain and frustration. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers for all of this to pass so you can enjoy your beautiful daughter and life once more. Diane

Stacie you have been through such an ordeal...it takes time but you will progress. It was very hard for me to eat for the longest time and I had to get on meds that stimulated my appetite cause most everything made me feel yuch! One of my staple/fallback foods is cream of wheat w/a scoop of solgar vanilla bean whey Protein powder(it's really pure and easily digested),easy to wisk in,add a swirl of pure maple or agave and a packet of stevia...it's so delicous, and the warm soupy like Cereal goes down easy. No whey protein after taste. I also added it (and still do) to yogurt. I mix a scoop into a 6 oz cup of greek vanilla, chocolate or caramel yogurt, let it set about 5 minutes, it completely disolves and I don't taste it but it ups the protein count. As for crunchy...maybe chipping away on a saltine cracker? Roasted or raw cashews, almonds? (Just be conscious of chewing nuts and crunchie stuff well.) I'm just so glad you are finally able to work on eating. Thank God you are out of the dark. Every day will bring progress, just look at Tiffykins, she's been through it. Keep on posting, we are all here for you.

Thanks everyone! I am overall doing really well. I have lost 63 pounds and am over half way to my goal. So that is wonderful. I am so happy to have the feeding tube and drain out and be able to shower normally. I am going through clothes so quickly, it is really fun to fit into things so nicely.

It is just the eating thing. I try not to let it bother me, but then I realize the day is over and I haven't eaten anything and I don't want anything either! Which is fine if it weren't for that darn Protein issue! So thank you all for your thoughts and prayers and your food suggestions. I really appreciate it.