Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does weight loss vary for lower BMI?

I've been talking things thru with my hubby, who is behind this 100% - we have made the decision to proceed, and now need to decide which surgeon to go with.

One query I have for you all..... for those with lower BMI - did you shift your weight approx at the same rate as those with higher BMI or do you think it was slower as you are a lower weight to start with?

I'd like to shift say 70lbs.... possibly a little more....and presently have a BMI of 35.5.

Yes, I did. I am 5' 9" and started at 227. My BMI was about what yours is if not just a tad bit lower. I'm down almost 40lbs in 7 weeks.

I was a "light weight" and am sort of a slower loser, I suppose. I have lost 40 lbs. since 12/29. But to tell you the truth, I am ok with it. I am in this for the long haul and I feel SOOO much better even 40 lbs. down. I have about 20 more to go, but am super short, 5'2"..... Inch by inch.....

Yes, I did. I am 5' 9" and started at 227. My BMI was about what yours is if not just a tad bit lower. I'm down almost 40lbs in 7 weeks.

Thats a great result Sabrina! Congrats!! Can't wait until I will be able to post that too!!!

I was a "light weight" and am sort of a slower loser, I suppose. I have lost 40 lbs. since 12/29. But to tell you the truth, I am ok with it. I am in this for the long haul and I feel SOOO much better even 40 lbs. down. I have about 20 more to go, but am super short, 5'2"..... Inch by inch.....

Well done Barbannn - great weight loss....I think if it is slower for me it might be a little easier to explain to people, as only 2 people will know about it so I'll have to think of something for the others.

You will lose slower, being a "light weight" but that doesn't mean you won't lose it all in the end! :wink: I have another friend who went to Dr. Aceves last year, and she was 180 5'1" on the day of surgery. Yes, it took her a little longer to lose all the weight, however, she is now 120 and very happy. It took her about 9 months to get there...

I started at 210 and as of today am 183. This is in just 8 weeks. I can't complain! :001_rolleyes:

well done everyone!!! I am a BMI 31 and am getting surgery in late june. I hope to lose slow for the sake of my skin and general health. I need to loose 60lbs. What happens when the 60 is gone..... will your body stop loosing on its own or is it possible to loose too much weight and become unhealthy in the opposite direction? any thoughts

thanks

Stacey

There was somebody over at the OH boards who started at 190-something and lost to 110 in 7 months. When she wanted to stop losing she added in some calories and carbs. It's certainly possible to lose too much weight but you ought to be able to control it by eating more, and/or more high-calorie foods, and/or by cutting back on the cardio.

I'm a lightweight, too, and I want to get this weight off me as soon as possible! LOL

There was somebody over at the OH boards who started at 190-something and lost to 110 in 7 months. When she wanted to stop losing she added in some calories and carbs. It's certainly possible to lose too much weight but you ought to be able to control it by eating more, and/or more high-calorie foods, and/or by cutting back on the cardio.

I'm a lightweight, too, and I want to get this weight off me as soon as possible! LOL

I was a lightweight: BMI of 40.2 5'2" 220 I had my surgery 7/30/2009 and so far I have lost approx 65lbs in 8 months I have about 5-15 to lose but I am cool with whatever- I haven't really started a workout routine so it's all good. If I get to 150 awesome, if I get to 140 fantastic! But it's all good either way!

Edited by alegna242

I've been talking things thru with my hubby, who is behind this 100% - we have made the decision to proceed, and now need to decide which surgeon to go with.

One query I have for you all..... for those with lower BMI - did you shift your weight approx at the same rate as those with higher BMI or do you think it was slower as you are a lower weight to start with?

I'd like to shift say 70lbs.... possibly a little more....and presently have a BMI of 35.5.

And then there is me, who started off with a BMI of 44 or 45, and in 11 weeks lost 63 lbs. . .

On April 4 I will be two months out; I started at BMI 36 and have loss 42 lbs. and gained a lot of muscle. I've been working out 5-6 times a week since a week after surgery. I want to complete my first triathlon in October :laugh0: I can not believe I'm almost half way to my goal at not even 2 months out! As a "lightweight" you should do wonderful things just like everyone else!!!:w00t:

On April 4 I will be two months out; I started at BMI 36 and have loss 42 lbs. and gained a lot of muscle. I've been working out 5-6 times a week since a week after surgery. I want to complete my first triathlon in October :laugh0: I can not believe I'm almost half way to my goal at not even 2 months out! As a "lightweight" you should do wonderful things just like everyone else!!!:w00t:

I'm hoping to do this same thing -- pack on the muscle at the same time I take off the fat.

All my life I've had an easy time putting on weight -- fat OR muscle. Usually that's worked against me; I can add heavy slabs of muscle with just a month or two of working out, but it's all concealed beneath a thick layer of fat. As I get rid of the fat, I'm looking forward to profiting from the "gain muscle" (anabolic) side of my metabolism!

I might finally rediscover my love of regular exercise :lol0:

I want to keep my muscle too. I work out a lot... you just can't tell because its burried in fat. How long after surgery until you can do a hard core work out.

Stacey