Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve vs. Band please help!

Hi! I am new here. I have my orientation April 6th, 2010. I was going to get the band and now want the sleeve. I have had medical issues such as blood clots in my lungs, history of hernia surgery, chronic bronchitus and asthma. I Want the sleeve but am scared of any surgery! or IF they will even let me get surgery- I live in SACRAMENTO, California..looking for advice people who were banded and now sleeved and vise versa. Thanks!! Any Sacramento people out there or SACRAMENTO support groups! chrissy:confused1:

Oh, where to begin... there are quite a few of us on here who had the band, then either lost it (like I did, it sprung a leak and severely eroded into my tummy), or who didn't have a good experience with the band, and then got a revision to the sleeve. I now have the sleeve after a very long story with the band - let me be brief: got the band in Oct 05, never had any real "issues", until it totally failed in March 2008. Gained and gained, went in to have my band removed and revision to a sleeve, March 2009. My band was VERY severely eroded, they had to cut it out of my stomach in 4 places... could NOT do the sleeve because of the severe damage. Recovered, and over the next year gained almost all the way back up to my pre-band weight. Feb 1, 2010, got my sleeve. The experience has truly been a good one, much better healing, feeling and losing than the band. I'm about 7 weeks out and am very happy with my choice to move forward with the sleeve. I can't tell you what "to-do" but if I have my little bit of input, I'd say forget the band, and go for the sleeve. If I had known then what I know now, I would have NEVER even messed with the band... As I said before, I never had any real issues with the band, until I had a MASSIVE issue... if you know what I mean. They can't fix a leak in a band, and clearly it was for the best that I got that leak or I might never have known about my erosion until I was seriously ill (or dead).

Best to you in your journey, and here's to your journey. - :001_rolleyes:

PS -- The "upkeep" with the band is THE major hassle/nightmare of it (at least it was for me). Fill, unfill... PB'ing, things getting "stuck", all of that... it was SO annoying. AND, may I say (as a self-payer) it was VERY expensive. All-in-all, not the experience I was looking for... glad it's over and I'm a new and improved sleevster! :wink:

Edited by youknowit

Thank you so much! I actually have a GREAT friend who is banded-went to her support group today. I would say out of 10people-8 of them wished they were sleeved. I don't want things getting stuck, too many restrictions, or having to get fills! Let me tell you if something were to go wrong with "something" I am one of those who has that luck!! lol...I would be the one to get erosion ect. I really appreciate your input. It seems like MANY banders switch to getting the sleeve too. Thanks so much! I have been doing a lot of research, and it also seems just as safe. I still can't find too much on anyone ever dying because of the surgery yet. How is the heartburn issue?

I never had heartburn as an everyday problem before the band, with the band, without it, before the sleeve, nor really now... I have some tummy discomfort sometimes, and I do take Prevacid every day, but that is prescribed by my doctor for healing purposes, which is good I think. One thing I do have, which has nothing to do with the sleeve or the band, is H. Pylori, which in a lot of people CAN cause ulcers and possibly heartburn, which is another reason I am taking the Prevacid, and will be for a while. Some people on here do comment that they have or have had GERD or heartburn issues... I personally can't really speak to much of that. :001_rolleyes: I'm happy to help in any way I can, as are so many other people here... Will you be seeking surgery here in the states or elsewhere?

best! - a

Edited by youknowit

Living with the band is a nightmare. Living with the sleeve is effortless.

YES! I live in Sacramento, Ca and I will be having the surgery in Richmond, California. I have Kaiser insurance and everything is covered. I had my gall bladder removed already it shouldn't be a problem with the heartburn especially if I loose the weight. Today when I went to the lunch with the "bandded" lol It FREAKED me out the gurgling, talking about fills, ect...I was like NO WAY!! lol. I am happy I found you! Did you have Laproscopic surgery? And where did they go in? I have a 8x11 peice of metal mesh from a hernia below my belly button. I am scared they wont do it, but if it's higher I am safe!

Yes, like I said I felt like a "banded" today. I went to a support group today with my friend and we walked and had lunch. To hear the "getting stuck" issues, the not getting a fill, people couldn't eat certain things-It seemed like a nightmare! 2 of the ladies said they wouldn't have done the sleeve and they were happy with the band, the rest of the ladies said GET THE BAND! After all I have read it sounds like this is the right choice for me!!!

All of my incisions are well above the belly button. For my sleeve, they did four incisions, across the center of my abdomen, they are all less than one inch wide (less than 1/2 an inch actually), with exception for the one where they do most of the work and remove the stomach from, etc. This is the same incision area where I had my port for the band as well. My scars are healing very nicely this time, and are very clean... I know years from now, I'll barely be able to see them.

Good for you that you have great insurance that will help to pay! Mine is terrible, and I wanted the best treatment and the best doctor, so I went to Dr. Aceves in Mexicali. By far the BEST medical experience I've ever had, here, there, or anywhere. I would go back to them again in a heartbeat, and it just makes me sad to think how terrible my treatment and experiences have been here in Las Vegas, compared to Mexico...

When will you be getting surgery?

Did you mean the rest of the ladies said: get the sleeve? Sounds like the bandsters aren't necessarily happy with their situations... AND, the people who seem to be happy with the band are those who have YET to have a problem, IMHO. :001_rolleyes:

With "Kaiser" there are certain steps in the process. First you go to this stupid meeting (which it is totally pointless) Then you email or call your pcp and ask for a referral. Lucky me and I was "ahead of my game" and told my pcp that I already took the class and she sent the referral!! lol. I DID take the class but just called her the day before I took it. I got ahead of about 60-70 people because I did this!! lol....I know how to work kaiser...anyways. Next is orientation. Mine is in 2 weeks! (cause I was sneaky and beat the others out!)you can meet with the surgeon there, and they tell you we will give you the surgery if you loose this much weight. (it differs to everyone) my friend had to loose about 30 pounds. THEN you have a psycological appointment and then given your surgery date. It will take me a few months to get it, and dependent on ME to loose the weight. I have NEVER EVER been so motivated!! I will for sure be on here and now I have new sleevster to talk me along the way! (you) :001_rolleyes: I am glad you shared your story with me!

Yes I am actually double covered so EVERYTHING is free not even meds or co-pays. My hubby and I work for law enforcement and get great benni's!! I am lucky.:wink:

You're cracking me up! Love it... Sounds like you've figured out how to speed up the process, and I'm excited for you! Keep me posted, and don't hesitate to ask all of us questions. I know I'm happy to help, as are so many here. This website is a god-send (to me at least)! :001_rolleyes:

Yes I am a total nut. LOL!!! ,my hubby said I wont pass my psch test. When I told him I would cause I have passed them for my job he reminds me of how stupid some of the "bosses are" I will agree with that one!! Yes I will for sure keep you updated!! I am so glad I found this site as well! You are another person that has made me make up my mind!! I am a "wanna-be sleevester!" xoxoxo chrissy