Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long story with a happy ending in sight?

I was one of those kids that started out big. I graduated from high school just shy of 200 lbs. My freshman 15 was actually a freshman 50! Tried a bunch of diets and failed every one due to depression and cravings. I am currently 433 lbs, just inching into pre-diabetes and have suffered with sleep apnea and hypothyroism for years.

Found out recently that I have PCOS, which at least tells me why I had so much trouble maintaining a healthy weight as a kid, especially as active as I was (Taekwon do, basketball, walking 2-3 miles daily). No matter what I just kept gaining!

5years ago I started the journey towards getting banded. Finances and uncooperative insurance kept me from it. 2 days ago I was getting ready to place my deposit to see Dr. Joya in Mexico for the Realize band when my family forwarded me that statistic about 25% of banders electing to remove it in 2 years. :thumbup: Scared the crap out of me, I need something that is going to work.

I made the decision today that I am going to do the VGS. No more delays!

Tracy

Tracy, Welcome to VST! I think you're making a wonderful decision. I too thought that I wanted the Band because I knew I didn't want the RNY. It was over at lapbandtalk that I first heard about the Sleeve and found my way here. I am so happy with my new Sleeve!

Lee,

I actually found the link to VST on Laptalk as well! Best link I ever found.

I actually watched a co-worker nearly die with the RNY (stomach puch too small and too much intestine removed), so i never wanted it. But seeing the poor statistics on the band, that was a hard hit for what I was seeing as my last chance! I want to goto one seminar to be sure I'm on the right tract for me, but then I'm signing up!

From a former bandster, let me just tell you, life with the band can be downright miserable. Heck, I only had mine for 8 months, and those were the most deplorable 8 months of my life.

Life with the sleeve is pretty much effortless at this point. I absolutely love it to be brutally honest. I've been below goal (but still in a healthy weight range) for 2 months now. I eat anything and everything I want or desire in smaller portions, and couldn't be happier.

Best wishes on your research, I promise the sleeve rocks my socks, where the band just left me miserable. The sleeve has overall better stats for loss, well heck all the WLS have better stats for initial loss, and lesser chance of needing a 2nd surgery than the band.

Cheers to you, and keep us updated.

Congrats on your decision Tracy!

I was also considering the lapband. I knew I didn't want the other surgery and didn't really know about the sleeve! Was so thankful to find this board and realize what a poor decision I was about to make.

I am only a week out but other than minor discomfort, I am doing great and couldn't be happier. The weight this first week is just falling off. I know it will slow down, but that's ok too! Slow and steady will be just fine!

You are just south of me! I will wave the next time I got to Portland to visit my sister : )

I would love to keep in contact with you through your experience! I actually travel to Seattle a few times a month as I have several buildings I oversee their (I am a corporate RN). So I will wave too :biggrin0:. I am actually going to Swedish next wed eve for a seminar on the VGS / BAND / RNY. Though I am 99% sure that the VGS is for me.

Congrats on the first losses!

I am only a week out but other than minor discomfort, I am doing great and couldn't be happier. The weight this first week is just falling off. I know it will slow down, but that's ok too! Slow and steady will be just fine!

You are just south of me! I will wave the next time I got to Portland to visit my sister : )

Tiffykins,

Thank you so much for your comments and sharing your story on other threads. I must admit that reading your comments is what made me decide to pursue the sleeve. You are an inspiration!

Tracy

Welcome Tracy! I think you're making a great decision. Like you, I started looking into the band and then discovered this procedure and realized it fit me so much better. Good luck with your journey and I'll wave too next time I'm in the northwest (was just in WA last week).

I'm in the Seattle area too. Best of luck with your seminar - ask lots of questions! Keep us up to date on your progress and when you have a surgery date.

HI Tracey and welcome

Like you I'm in the decision making process, with 2 consults booked, so I hope certainly this year I'll get done.

Best of luck with your seminar.. .and looking forward to hearing more from you.

I was one of those kids that started out big. I graduated from high school just shy of 200 lbs. My freshman 15 was actually a freshman 50! Tried a bunch of diets and failed every one due to depression and cravings. I am currently 433 lbs, just inching into pre-diabetes and have suffered with sleep apnea and hypothyroism for years.

Found out recently that I have PCOS, which at least tells me why I had so much trouble maintaining a healthy weight as a kid, especially as active as I was (Taekwon do, basketball, walking 2-3 miles daily). No matter what I just kept gaining!

5years ago I started the journey towards getting banded. Finances and uncooperative insurance kept me from it. 2 days ago I was getting ready to place my deposit to see Dr. Joya in Mexico for the Realize band when my family forwarded me that statistic about 25% of banders electing to remove it in 2 years. :frown1: Scared the crap out of me, I need something that is going to work.

I made the decision today that I am going to do the VGS. No more delays!

Tracy

Welcome Tracy and most of all Congratulations for your choice!!! You won't be disappointed. . . I'm 9 weeks out now and when i was 7 weeks out i weighed in at the doctor and had lost 53 lbs. . . do you know how exciting that is??? . . . i go back March 16th to weigh in and a appt. . . i won't have lost that much but anything will be better then gaining. . . in the beginning for about 1 week i really hated this sleeve . . . but after you 'learn' what to do and go according to doctor orders you will be really happy with it, there are bad days and good, but there is nothing as great as the feeling when you get on that scale and see your loss and put on clothes that haven't fit in a long time! Good luck with your journey and may all the blessings be with you!:)

thank you everyone for your support! I am very excited to schedual my surgery. The seminar in Seattle is the final step to make sure it's for me. I'll keep everyone posted!

My VGS surgery is schedualled for April 10th in Mexicalli with Dr. Aceves! I decided I wanted to do the pre-op diet longer then 14 days as he recommends. I have lost 8 lbs since starting on the induction phase of Adkins! With my prior weight loss on MEDifast (don't do it, it sucks), I have loast a total of 21 lbs in 6 months! Makes me feel much safer to go into the surgury. (My poor fatty liver :001_rolleyes:). I'm hoping to loose at least another 20 before surgury :).

Tracy

Congrats on your decision to change your life! I too am planning to change mine as soon as I can. I was just about sold on the lap band, and was talking to a lady who had bypass and was at my daughter's plastic surgeon to get a Tummy Tuck. I knew I didn't want a bypass because of all the nutritional problems, etc with that. The lady that was with her told me her son had had the sleeve and just loved it and lost over 100 lbs. I had never heard of it before that day. When I got to checking it out, and especially after coming to this site, I decided the sleeve was for me. I can't wait! I hope you do great with yours, too.

Edited by 2muchfluff

Congrats on your decision to change your life! I too am planning to change mine as soon as I can. I was just about sold on the lap band, and was talking to a lady who had bypass and was at my daughter's plastic surgeon to get a Tummy Tuck. I knew I didn't want a bypass because of all the nutritional problems, etc with that. The lady that was with her told me her son had had the sleeve and just loved it and lost over 100 lbs. I had never heard of it before that day. When I got to checking it out, and especially after coming to this site, I decided the sleeve was for me. I can't wait! I hope you do great with yours, too.

Thanks! Do you know where you are going to go to get yours?