Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling better but down on myself today....

....I know better. I'm smarter than this. I CANNOT do this to myself. But, here I sit slightly depressed because the scale isn't shouting out how great I'm doing. It's absolutely insane as I just had surgery Monday, but I can't help the way I feel. I'm sorta bummed that the scale still shows just about five pounds difference since surgery. I don't really know what I was expecting or what would make me "happy." I guess I just have to have something to whine about.

I suppose I'll just get my butt up and walk some more and try to have a head talk to remind myself that there is no way that this isn't going to work based on the number of calories I'm consuming. I know it's just that crazy "fat girl" fear that makes me worry that I'll be the one it doesn't work for. Head games....hate them.......

The head games can definitely get ya down. It's going to work, and I hated when people say this but it's so true "we didn't get fat overnight, it isn't going to go away overnight."

Stay strong, and know the scale will move.

Have you measured yourself? Measure today, then measure again in 2 weeks, I guarantee you'll see results.

I can sure relate to that scale telling me how wonderful I'm doing. I've been using the scale my entire life to tell me whether to feel good or bad about myself. The times I'm happiest, I've put the scale away. I've had to put it in the trunk of my car to get away from it. I call that desperation!

I had my gallbladder removed on 11/2/09. The night after surgery, I was up 10 (TEN) pounds. Since I hadn't eaten anything, I knew it was from the gas blown into me. It took me several days just to get back to what I weighed the morning of surgery.

Hang in there. The scale will move and regardless of what it says, you're doing great! Put a new script into your head. Come up with a mantra that makes you feel good and everytime that nasty voice sneaks in, replace it or just tell it to shut up! :)

Theresa,

Hang in there. I know I would be the exact same way. I am thinking about having my daughter, she is going to take care of me the first few days, put the scale away for right after surgery. I kinda feel like that in this pre-op time. I have lost maybe 2 pounds. I have not been perfect, but my tummy is growling right now. I guess the Tiffkins is right, it is a long race, and you are just at the onset. I know you will get those pounds off. Hang in there, bud! Inch by inch, pound by pound we will get there!

Thanks, guys! I don't know what I'd do without the voice of my friends here! What on earth did folks do before having these online networks to get them through life-changing events.

Tiff-VERY sad you will not be here in Dallas over the holidays!

Barb--your day is almost here! I'm so excited for you. How long will you be in Dallas? If you are up to it, maybe we can catch up for a second while you are here? I know you will be a champ. And, the hiding the scales is not a bad idea! HA! Your daughter is such a go-getter (I could just tell she was a real firecracker with tons of LUV for mom!) that she will have you doing all the right things in short order!

Theresa,

My loving hubbie has given me a cold from hell, so I am hoping that all the ickiness subsides by next week. I went to the store and found some cold medicine without all the "things" we aren't allowed to take, like asperin.... My hubbie is not the best nurse, so I am glad to have my daughter. She is a "get things done" kind of kid, so I know she will be measuring and monitoring me to death. I am getting more excited and less scared - sure my story will change, but I am ready. I will probably travel to Dallas on 28th and plan to return to Austin on the 31st - early. Want to beat the NYEve crazies.

TwoBlueCats,

first I'm dying to ask what your screenname means......

and ....I had surgery the same day as you, I didn't even get weighed prior to surgery unless they weighed me while I was in the bed unconscious! So I don't have a clue and I'm glad. Until I'm below 219 this is just regained weight that I'm re-losing. My acheivement will be when I can step on the scale and have it say less than 219. Until then I'm just working the plan, doing the exercise and working my way through my closet full of smaller sizes! I'll start celebrating when I have to go buy something to wear!

Nothing to worry about, I love my sleeve and to date since 05/21/2008 I have lost 220 LBS. When the scale starts to move it moves very quick! I wish you much success with you sleeve!

Nothing to worry about, I love my sleeve and to date since 05/21/2008 I have lost 220 LBS. When the scale starts to move it moves very quick! I wish you much success with you sleeve!

YOU ARE MY HERO! WHAT AN AMAZING FEAT! You must feel like a whole new person, and you certainly deserve kudos for your achievement! The walking did me some real good today, and I had a good talk with myself. I realize that everyone here has walked the same path, some even rockier than mine. I can and will do this just as others before me have. I still like to weigh every day as it's just typically been the morning reminder that I need to stay focused and on track. But, I won't let my crazy thoughts sabotage what I know logically--with the number of calories I'm consuming, I WILL LOSE WEIGHT!

Barb--get better! It's tough when you can't take many meds. Just get as much rest as you can, and it should pass before surgery day! You won't be here in Dallas long, and I know you aren't one to want a crowd at the hospital (I swear I wouldn't have remembered anyone there anyway I was so out of it!). That said, if you need anything at all, you know where to find me. My heart will be with you, and prayers will be heading straight to God's ears! Funny, once I was at the hospital, I had a real peace about everything. I'm sure you will too!

Theresa

Theresa - the best advice I ever got with my band is to weigh only once a week. There are too many things that make our weight fluctuate on a daily basis. Remember, you didn't put it on overnight... Your body has gone through a HUGE shock and is adjusting to the surgery recovery AND the restricted intake of calories. Right now just let your body heal and I promise, the weight will come off. (All easier said then done.)

You might want to keep this message and send it back to me in a week when I am where you are now! LOL!!!

Tracy--I get more questions about "twobluecats" as it's part of my e-mail address too. Funny, we picked that out when e-mail first came on the scene. At the time, we had two grey cats (still have one), and we are big fans of blues music too.

I believe we are sleeve sisters, having surgery on the 14th? Regardless, I wish you the best of luck, and your attitude is great!

Creatingglee--thanks for your words of wisdom too! I used your advise today on my walks, and that's how I decided to punch the stupid talk in the face with more logical thinking! This is gonna be such an interesting ride!

Theresa,

Well I stayed off the scale and only weighed like once a month, It was just melting off of me, I didnt excercise or anything other than at work. I just really focused on pure Protein and stayed away from everything else (Bad Carbs). In the first month I lost 45 LBS. Thank you for the compliment!! Actually to be honest I know I am still the same person, But I do not feel any different now than I did at 400, People are like no way you have to feel different. Well I dont but I know the stores made a ton of money off of me going from 5X to XL (and that is loose) but I like it loose. I hope to see your progress on here or keep me updated, I rarely am able to login to type emails but I wish you all the success in the world and it will work! Let me know if I can help you with any tips or tricks and I will sure help you! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year you are on your way to looking completely different :). :thumbup:

James