Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much house will $1 million buy in your area?

There's a similar thread on another board I belong to and it's pretty interesting. In our area, which is a suburban development area of Kansas City, MO a million will get you this: (pics are not mine, they're from a realtor)

1312378_1.jpg1312378_2.jpg1312378_4.jpg1312378_6.jpg1312378_8.jpg1312378_9.jpg

5 bed, 4.5 bath, 6,000+ sqft w/ suspended garage.

Well in the area I live right now the houses go for around 450K.

If you took our present home and put it in Malibu then it would sell for 1.5Mil.

The house shown in the pictures would go for about 4-5 million here on Long Island in New York. Sad, but true. Real estate is out of control.

Are you kidding??? WOW!!! 1 MILLION DOLLARS???? Here a million could by a whole city!!

In my area, we consider an expensive house to be $200k or more. We are currently house hunting and the nicest, newest one (custom built in 1998) we have seen so far has 7 (large) bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, large family room, large living room, HUGE kitchen, 3 car garage, HUGE HUGE yard, cathedral ceilings, beautifully done, etc.... Their asking price is $234,900.00. Never will they get that in a million years, the town, not city, I live in - population less than 2000 people. The BUTTCRACK OF THE WORLD.....

In my area, a million dollars will get you 3 to 5+ bedrooms, depending on the other rooms in the house.

EESH.

You CAN get 3 bedrooms for less than that, much less house of course, but still.

Here in Boise, the price of houses have skyrocketed over the past couple of years. We have a lot of people moving here from places where small homes are going for $500k. They sell their home and move here to buy a house 5 times the size of their previous one, and then they pay cash for the new one. Keep in mind that the economy in our beautiful city hasn't improved very much. Jobs are scarce. But when you don't even have a house payment, you can live on a lower income - in style!

Anyway, here a 1,600 sq ft, 3bd, 2 BA, 2 car garage on a typicaly lot will go for $200k. I was just talking to a realtor the other day and she said that 5 years ago, there was only one million dollar house in Boise. Now it's not unusual for someone moving here from out of state to think that a million dollar house is very reasonable. Well duh... they are arriving with $500k plus in their hands from the sale of their 2 bd condo! And trust me, the contractors see these people coming with fistfulls of the green stuff and suddenly the prices go up, up, up - which makes it very hard for the local people to buy a home.

I'll keep forgetting to send picks of our new house (no...I didn't manage to spend a million...but I have several million-dollar homes in our neighborhood). It varies in Minneapolis area, but average price is around $265k for under 2,000 sqft, 3-4 beds and 2 + baths. In my new neighborhood off a big man-made lake...a million will buy you about half of that square footage if it's done dramatically. Finish is everything here. I could get better more square footage for what I paid, but granite, oak, maple, customizing....boy it all adds up. I think our neighborhood average is about $350-500. we have several on the Water at 1.4 and 1.8million, though.....nice neighbors to have when I go to sell!

I'm kind of the poor guy around my hood....but I don't mind a bit!

Jon

Wheetsin - I need to learn how to insert pictures. Is there a thread somewhere with instruction?:help:

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&s=vic&cc=&c=40890774&tm=1148504706&id=102539387&f=0&p=10&t=res&ty=&snf=rbs&ag=&cu=fn-rea&fmt=&header=

Waaaah. Story of my life. We made the huge mistake of building in a new suburb in outer Melbourne and because our house hasnt risen in value like the inner suburbs, we simply cannot afford to get out of here despite a family income of almost $200,000 a year. It sucks. This is the type of house we would need to buy in the area I grew up in, closer to work for Doug and good schools for the kids. I had a look at it llast weekend and its only just adequate size wise, its pretty but in practicality only better than the home we live in now (worth about $300,000) simply because of the extra bedroom.

Sigh. When I go back to work perhaps.

Oh, that's Australian dollars too, so x 1.2 :think

Stitchy,

On the advanced reply page use the paperclip icon. The pics will upload to the little window and will attach automatically when you submit.

Real Estate in my area is much like Mari Maru's. 3-5 bd in a nice house. Depending on location. You pay more for the neighborhood than you do for the house. We are close enough to Seattle to bring that price. Maybe if gas doubles, Real Estate will drop and I will ride a bike. For now the commute is worth it for the city up and comers.

These are in Sammamish, WA. On regular sized lots. Maybe the pictures will attach this time. Hmmm. Well, not exactly what I had in mind, but Oh, well. Thanks, anyway, Marsailles. You're near Seattle, too, so you know about the prices.

post-207176-13813133384058_thumb.jpg

post-207176-13813133384224_thumb.jpg

My house is a three bedroom, one bath ranch that we got for $330 last summer.

After installing new windows, roof, ripping apart the inside completely and putting in brand new walls, kitchen, floors, bathroom. After adding two more bathrooms and a bar, family room, laundry room and small kitchen area in the basement, it's now worth nearly 500k, this small little cramped and crowded ranch. I wish we could afford a bigger house.

For 1mil, we could get a nice 5-6 bedroom good quality home, but it would still not be huge.

We own a house in Poland that is enormous. Probably worth about 5mil if you put it in a good area of Chicago. I still can't believe I went from a mansion to a small ranch.

We have one of the only $1 mil houses in the area going up on my cul-de-sac. I live in a rather rural subdivision (our lot is about 2 acres with a creek, we are edging a national forest, so lots of wildlife...too much for my taste!!) Anyway, the house is not outrageuosly huge, but it is built on the top of the mountain, has a tiered boulder yard, 4 car garage, walk-outs on all 4-levels, an indoor pool, and is stone on the outside!! It is absolutely gorgeous! It has natural forest for a back-yard view, and overlooks the entire countryside from the front! My daughter and I went inside to snoop last weekend, and it is amazing...all of the things you would ever want were included, oh, the kitchen, and soaking tubs in all bathrooms, dumbwaiter and laundry chutes,wet bar in the basement rec room, my ho my!!! By the way, the owners are an older couple with grown kids. I guess they are a big name in the area (which means nothing to me, since we haven't been here that long). She has a cute little two seater convertible to roll around in, and he has a SWEET Harley, not to mention the Lexus and big ole SUV of some sort I've seen them riding around in!!! - can you see me glowing green with envy?!?!?!

Our house is plenty big for my family 3,600+- sq. ft, 6 bedrooms, 3 1/2 baths, playroom, 2 car garage, screened porch, computer den, outrageous pantry and kitchen!! We built it for around $200K... we're gonna love our million-dollar neighbors when we are ready to sell, huh????

~cheri

PS. I crack up everyone at home (in Ohio) when I talk about moving back. They all say I could never handle moving back because my kids would drive me crazy in the houses we could afford there!!!!

$1 mil will get you this in Phoenix area.... 5BR/loft/gameroom/5Bath/2fireplaces/4car garage/pool and gazebo spa/4400 square feet/horse property/ton of fancy indoor upgrades

post-204351-138131333852_thumb.jpg