Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

protein shakes-I'm going to starve!

Oh my goodness! I thought that I would pick up a few Protein Shakes and kind of try them out so that I would be ready for my pre-op that starts in a couple of weeks. Yes, I am still 3 weeks from then but I am kind of anal when it comes to preparing for things - plus I am just so excited!

Anyway, I picked up a Chocalate Malt muscle milk and you have got to be kidding me! People actually drink this??! LOL I can handle Atkins and Sllimfast - heaven's knows I have drank enough of those on my fat journey. But this stuff is just undescribable. Somebody please tell me that all high Protein Drinks dont taste this bad!

Oh my goodness! I thought that I would pick up a few Protein shakes and kind of try them out so that I would be ready for my pre-op that starts in a couple of weeks. Yes, I am still 3 weeks from then but I am kind of anal when it comes to preparing for things - plus I am just so excited!

Anyway, I picked up a Chocalate Malt muscle milk and you have got to be kidding me! People actually drink this??! LOL I can handle Atkins and Sllimfast - heaven's knows I have drank enough of those on my fat journey. But this stuff is just undescribable. Somebody please tell me that all high Protein drinks dont taste this bad!

Lucygoose,

By the way, I love your name. Really cute.

Bad news is, from what I've learned most are nasty, or at least leave a nasty aftertaste.

Good news is, there are some that are palatable...but people have different tastes. Some swear by one kind and other folks can't stand it.

Personally, I love the Jay Robb chocolate whey Protein powder mix. I add a splash of banana extract to it, and mix it in fat free lactaid milk in my blender. Sometimes I add some nutrient-dense fruit as well...papaya is a favorite of mine.. You can get the single use packet at GNC. It does come in different flavors so if you want to try several you can without investing an arm and a leg. It's the only way to get in adequate protein in the first month or two after surgery, when you can't eat much.

I hope you find something you like. Read more on protein powders on this forum and you'll find favorites from other posters.

Hi Lucy-

I find the powders are much better. I put a scoop of vanilla Isopure brand in, add frozen fruits, ice, and skim milk or yogurt (depending on your desired thickness) and blend! and you can barely taste the powder. If the powder makes the consistancy add 1/2 scoop, and just add little scoops here and there to compensate. I love frozen blackberries, mango, raspberries. Makes the best shakes ever!! Also, I've been drinking Isopure brand Fruit drinks with 40 grams of Protein and 160 cals per 20 oz. bottle. And I personally think they are very tasty.

Let me know if you try that stuff and how it works out for you!

Lucygoose -

Unfortunately, it is just trial and error. Everyone's taste are different. Something I love, you may think is horrible and vice versa. There is a thread under food that rates different Proteins - everyone has their favorites. I would explore that thread and then order a bunch of the samples from the sources listed in the thread. Until you try them, you just don't know.

Linda

I hate, hate, hate muscle milk. That must be some of the nastiest......

Anyway I really like Chike nutrition. GNC is ok. I love Premier Nutrition ready to drink shakes. They only make chocolate but when my stomach is in a mood this is the only thing I can drink. They sell it at costco and online.

You won't starve I promise. I did 25 days on clears. I know the human body can go a long time without food!

You will learn to like or at least tolerate the shakes.< /p>

Hi Lucy-

I find the powders are much better. I put a scoop of vanilla Isopure brand in, add frozen fruits, ice, and skim milk or yogurt (depending on your desired thickness) and blend! and you can barely taste the powder. If the powder makes the consistancy add 1/2 scoop, and just add little scoops here and there to compensate. I love frozen blackberries, mango, raspberries. Makes the best shakes ever!! Also, I've been drinking Isopure brand fruit drinks with 40 grams of Protein and 160 cals per 20 oz. bottle. And I personally think they are very tasty.

Let me know if you try that stuff and how it works out for you!

Some people call Isopure "isopuke". I am one of those people. I added 1/4 bottle to my clear fluids during the first 10 days post op, just to get in some protein...but could not stomach it "straight up">

oh lordy, you're right about that, cajun. i wouldn't touch the stuff in just water! blahg.

There is a thread in the food section where you can order all sorts of samples.< /strong>

I love muscle milk light. it's chocolate not malt. I get that at costco as well as the premiere costco brand. I also love PVL whey gourmet Peanut Butter chocolate that you order from netrtion.com

Everyone is right. Everyone has their own favorites.

It really is best to get some samples and try a few out.

Optimum whey has been the only Protein powder I could tolerate the taste. My biggest issue with the powders or ready to drink is the smell and texture.

If there is a hint of "protein" smell, I will dry heave.

Optimum whey tastes just like hot cocoa to me. Unfortunately, I don't think my body likes any of the Protein drinks so I quit trying them. I posted a thread on here on where to order the Optimum whey, but you can also purchase it at GNC.

The one great thing about GNC is that if you do not like a product, you can take it back even if it's open and partially used.

My favorite is the liquid Worldwide Pure Protein Frosty chocolate shake. I get it from Trader Joes and it's the only one I like. It has 35 grams of protein in an 11 oz can. I think it is very yummy. Isopure was hard to get down even when I did mix it with another beverage. I haven't found a powder I like, even the same maker -- Worldwide -- the powder form is just a bit funky tasting.

Lucygoose,

By the way, I love your name. Really cute.

Bad news is, from what I've learned most are nasty, or at least leave a nasty aftertaste.

Good news is, there are some that are palatable...but people have different tastes. Some swear by one kind and other folks can't stand it.

Personally, I love the Jay Robb chocolate whey Protein powder mix. I add a splash of banana extract to it, and mix it in fat free lactaid milk in my blender. Sometimes I add some nutrient-dense fruit as well...papaya is a favorite of mine.. You can get the single use packet at GNC. It does come in different flavors so if you want to try several you can without investing an arm and a leg. It's the only way to get in adequate Protein in the first month or two after surgery, when you can't eat much.

I hope you find something you like. Read more on protein powders on this forum and you'll find favorites from other posters.

I've bought the Jay Robb Choclate Whey protien powder mix. I've not tried it yet, but I have it. As a matter of fact, I've got everything I need. Pantry is stocked, fridge is stocked...just waiting on my BP to come down. SHould I try it now, because I know my taste will change after surgery, or at least that is what every one says.

I have figured out why my BP was out of control. It was all the last suppers the week before my surgery date. what a HUGE mistake that was. I ate cheese dip (rotel and velveta) pizza, Fried Seafood, ice cream & coke floats, chocolate, donuts, ribs, fried chicken, you name it I had it. I was so stupid....didn't realize....what a mistake that would be. It knocked me right out of my surgery date. Won't do that again...EVER.

I've been researching blood pressure, and OMG....I guess I've had it for years, but didn't know it, or didn't wanna know it.

I've been to the Dr. many times because if it, but just assumed it was stress related. Never realized it was an ongoing everyday thing.

Never checked it regularly. My father had High BP, so does my brother. I'm 100 lbs over weight, and have been for at least 25 years. It all adds up.

I've noticed since I've been taking the meds, my hot flashes have almost disapeared. I've not had any headaches. And just feel better. I'm walking a 30 minutes a day, and trying to eat much better.

My favorite is the liquid Worldwide Pure Protein Frosty chocolate shake. I get it from Trader Joes and it's the only one I like. It has 35 grams of protein in an 11 oz can. I think it is very yummy. Isopure was hard to get down even when I did mix it with another beverage. I haven't found a powder I like, even the same maker -- Worldwide -- the powder form is just a bit funky tasting.

Does anyone use Dr. Atkins ready to drink Protein Shakes? or

Insure?

Hi everyone Im currently on my 8th day of my pre liquid diet and I got a two week package from betterMD.net I got Protein Shakes, Soups, and Fiber drinks everything I needed for two weeks. Plus you can have all the liquids 5cals and under you want including sugar free popsicles,jello and also smoothies and yogurt dannon lite and fit. I like the taste of their shakes you can add Water or skim milk taste like milk shakes to me and I dont feel hungry and also lost 16 pounds the first week. I'm going to try some others after surgery but at least I know these I like. Good luck to everyone. Have a great day.

Does anyone use Dr. Atkins ready to drink Protein shakes? or

Insure?

I used to drink Atkins RTD before I got the muscle milk light and premeire from costco. They are not my favorite, but I like the convenience of just opening something. I can do that now with the other 2 and they are way cheaper.