Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

surgery 9/15 home 9/20 9/22 11:32 PM SOS!!!

Hey all. I'm freaking out sitting here with my drain and bandages and anxiety overwhelm. I just got in my car and rode to my daughters 3 miles away because I needed support!! Today I had a carrot/apple/celery/parsley/bananna drink made to order from a local juice bar...water...tried some whey Protein Powder in blender with Water only, (yuch)..later organic free range chicken boxed broth...which I loved but it seemed to be giving my throat pinching sensations and caused me the need to exert my abdominal muscles to clear up my throat...ouch. I later had more water/apple juice/water...then my throat kept pinching like there where particles or something iritating it....I brushed my teeth well and gargled but in a few moments the same sensations... so...I felt as if there were particles floating around my mouth, teeth etc. I made a cup of lemon zinger tea and figured that would sooth whatever it was but then I decided to open my mouth and take a look at my tongue and to my HORROR it has white stuff growing all over it like yeast or something!!!:scared0: Freaked, I immediately decided to get my ass to the closest ER and so I got in my car and drove first to my daughters to have her look on the way I phoned the emergency number to my surgeon and one of the on call surgeons told me to calm down, go home, brush my tongue, gargle and go to sleep, and if things get worse then to go to the er and he will tell them what to do. He said it sounds fungle. Has anyone of you gone through anything like this at all??? Was it something I drank?? Is my body detoxing or something?? Will it go away? I have xanax so I asked the attending physician/surgeon who is a member of my surgeons team if I could take one to calm my freaked out nerves and he said YES. So I did but I forgot to crush it and instead swallowed it whole!!!! What is going to happen to me? Will I make it through the night?? I'm so freaked out. :svengo: help help help please won't somebody help me?!

Calm down, take a deep breath. Yes, my tongue was icky after surgery, and stayed yucky for a couple of weeks.

Did the pill go down okay? Not get stuck, are you in pain? Cramping in your abdomen?

hmmm the pill went down fine....and I'm feeling it now. I am just afraid to go to sleep...what if my tongue swells up or something? Am I like detoxing maybe from this necessary fast? The things on my tongue are affecting my throat too like making little tickle pricks that I need to cough up. Thanks for being up and answering my call. xxxooo Since the surgery I'm a changed woman, I grovel and beg for mercy and help...you should have seen me in the hospital!

Hey all. I'm freaking out sitting here with my drain and bandages and anxiety overwhelm. I just got in my car and rode to my daughters 3 miles away because I needed support!! Today I had a carrot/apple/celery/parsley/bananna drink made to order from a local juice bar...water...tried some whey Protein powder in blender with Water only, (yuch)..later organic free range chicken boxed broth...which I loved but it seemed to be giving my throat pinching sensations and caused me the need to exert my abdominal muscles to clear up my throat...ouch. I later had more water/apple juice/water...then my throat kept pinching like there where particles or something iritating it....I brushed my teeth well and gargled but in a few moments the same sensations... so...I felt as if there were particles floating around my mouth, teeth etc. I made a cup of lemon zinger tea and figured that would sooth whatever it was but then I decided to open my mouth and take a look at my tongue and to my HORROR it has white stuff growing all over it like yeast or something!!!:scared0: Freaked, I immediately decided to get my ass to the closest ER and so I got in my car and drove first to my daughters to have her look on the way I phoned the emergency number to my surgeon and one of the on call surgeons told me to calm down, go home, brush my tongue, gargle and go to sleep, and if things get worse then to go to the er and he will tell them what to do. He said it sounds fungle. Has anyone of you gone through anything like this at all??? Was it something I drank?? Is my body detoxing or something?? Will it go away? I have xanax so I asked the attending physician/surgeon who is a member of my surgeons team if I could take one to calm my freaked out nerves and he said YES. So I did but I forgot to crush it and instead swallowed it whole!!!! What is going to happen to me? Will I make it through the night?? I'm so freaked out. :svengo: help help help please won't somebody help me?!

If it is a fungus or something, I dont believe that should require emergency room visit. I know you are worried, unless of course its impeding your breathing or airway? Otherwise, you will have to sit in the ER for hours. I would follow up with PCP or surgeon tommorrow, if you have to. I would take some deep breathes.....im with Tiff, if you arent experiencing any abdominal discomfort (nausea, vomiting, abdominal distention or cramps) then you are probably fine.

Keep us updated.

I gargeld with warm salt Water, and spit it out. It seemed to help with the itchiness/fuzziness.

I would stick with just plain Water to drink. If you were having an allergic reaction, I would think your tongue would be swollen already.

right.....well that is what the on call surgeon said too- he said if it gets worse where my swallowing is affected then to go to the nearest er and have them call him. He said it sounds fungal, like a yeast infection. I suspect this stuff comes out when your body is going through this drastic change in nutritional intake? Thanks love.

I gargeld with warm salt Water, and spit it out. It seemed to help with the itchiness/fuzziness.

I would stick with just plain Water to drink. If you were having an allergic reaction, I would think your tongue would be swollen already.

sounds right to me too....that is also what the doc said, gargle with salt water brush my tongue good and they will contact me in the am. love your smile btw.

right.....well that is what the on call surgeon said too- he said if it gets worse where my swallowing is affected then to go to the nearest er and have them call him. He said it sounds fungal, like a yeast infection. I suspect this stuff comes out when your body is going through this drastic change in nutritional intake? Thanks love.

Okay, that is great to hear! Get you some rest, dont worry about it. Those things happen all the time. Relax, follow up with us in the a.m. to let us know how your night went. G'nite ..Hope your tounge gets better.

sounds right to me too....that is also what the doc said, gargle with salt Water brush my tongue good and they will contact me in the am. love your smile btw.

Thank you. . .

If the white stuff does not come off if you wipe it, it is probably a fungus called Thrush. Nothing to be alarmed about. Babies get it all the time. It can be causing your tickle sensation in your throat. If it is still there tomorrow, do go see a doc, but dont panic and dont bother with an ER visit.j They will just give you some oral nystatin to swish and spit out to coat the tongue and kill the fungus.

If the white stuff does not come off if you wipe it, it is probably a fungus called Thrush. Nothing to be alarmed about. Babies get it all the time. It can be causing your tickle sensation in your throat. If it is still there tomorrow, do go see a doc, but dont panic and dont bother with an ER visit.j They will just give you some oral nystatin to swish and spit out to coat the tongue and kill the fungus.

I just woke, (in pain), did a short salt Water gargle, chrushed two percoset pills and put them in a shot glass with apple juice drank it down.

The stuff on my tongue doesn't come off. Thrush is what I think it is, thrush is what my daughter said it looked like too when she looked at it. It does pinch my throat from time to time. I'm thinking WHY? I never had this ever once in my entire life. How did I get thrush? My daughter said she thinks it's because my body is going through major changes, sudden starvation, weight loss etc. I'm also cramping up a bit and have had some very soft stools. Plus I'm still in bandages, bleeding around the drain sight and emptying the drain bulb. Oh how I want this part to be over. I feel so weak. This is such a trial. In the hospital although it was hard at times to get comfortable I felt safe. At home alone my nerves are wracked. I'm rambling now. When the pain meds kick in I'll go back to bed. Thanks all for being here. I'll let you know what happens with this tongue of mine! :svengo::scared0:

Try liquid benadryl for the "pinching" in your throat -- I didn't have thrush after surgery; however, I did have a constant "tickle" in my throat and everytime I laid down to sleep, I would start coughing. After 2-3 days of benadryl, that went away.

If they gave you a lot of antibiotics in the hospital it could be "thrush", which would have a red sore area under the white stuff when you brush it off. This is easily treated by your pcp and does not require an ER visit. You could catch something worse sitting in an ER!

If there is a sore red area under the white stuff when you brush it off, it is probably thrush. If not, it is just the dry mouth stuff that Tiff talked about.

Try liquid benadryl for the "pinching" in your throat -- I didn't have thrush after surgery; however, I did have a constant "tickle" in my throat and everytime I laid down to sleep, I would start coughing. After 2-3 days of benadryl, that went away.

Wow I am glad the liquid benadryl worked for you VegasAngel. I have a strong aversive reaction to benadryl. I am just getting up now (have alot of pain around incision)...and about to brush teeth tongue and gargle. It looks like this fungal outbreak on my tongue is fading. I hope so. If not my surgeon will probably call in a prescription to my pharmacy to treat it. Thanks for caring.