Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:)

A couple of days ago I went through all of my clothes and put aside everything that was now too big for me. The pile filled one of those HUGE leaf bags. (the bag went to a friend of a friend's who is one or 2 sizes bigger than me but who is losing weight and would love to have the clothes - not a wls person). So, in that sense it felt really great knowing I was "paying it forward" and someone would get good use of my clothes. Admittedly, I have/had some very nice things so someone hit pay dirt for sure!!! I know, I know...it all sounds like a great NSV, right? And logically I know that it is a good NSV.

BUT...

Located within that pile was my all time favourite sweater (that I only even had for one year). It was a beautiful "nordic" like ski sweater ...pull over with a few of those nordic buttons at the neckline. BEAUTIFUL colours weaved throughout. I just loved this sweater; I had always wanted one but was never able to find one in my size (until I came across this one last year). When I tried it on, it hung on me so laughably there was no way I could ever wear it. I know some sweaters you can wear even when they are too loose..and it's not so bad etc...but this one looked horrible; really horrible. So, into the bag it went, as I promised myself I wouldn't keep anything that was obviously too big. Plus which by the time next winter comes around it will be even bigger on me (*knock on wood*). So, it is also a sad NSV for me. bye bye sweater.

I know I can eventually get a new one (& I probably will next winter)...but nevertheless, I have mixed feelings about his NSV.

Yoda, I know exactly how you feel. I recently got rid of my most favorite dress of all time, a blue velvet number that has seen me through all manner of Christmases, weddings, funerals and other dressy occasions. I even wore it as the basis for a witch costume on a couple of Halloweens. But I had to face facts, it just didn't fit any possible way.

Sad, but there are other wonderful clothing options out there for us. We'll just have to make new memories! Congratulations, in any event.

I've worn clothes so big they went from tightly hugging the upper portion of my butt, to nearly hanging down to my knees! I still insisted on wearing them though, only in the house :)

Three years ago I wore a size 12 or 14, now I'm a 24, but I still have some of my favorite size 14 clothes hanging in my closet. I'm VERY sentimental about my clothes. I have bags and boxes sitting in every empty space of my house, so many that I even had to stick one in my son's room, under his desk. None of them are ever going away :)

I don't have a point, it's too early lol.

Congratulations on your bittersweet NSV!

Congratulations Yoda. I understand you perfectly, although I have nothing that is too big yet. Maybe one day soon.

Roberta

Aren't we all glad it's gone?! SIGH That was a great sweater. So, okay, I'll admit, it's still in my closet. It was just so drapy and comfy and I could "hide" beneath it. Yeah, right. Pic taken at Myrtle Beach SC in the Fall of 2000. Weight was around 230-240?

post-204312-13813133349511_thumb.jpg

Yoda,

Isn't it funny how attached we become to some things? Just think though, you will probably be able to find lots of those kinds of sweaters that fit you beautifully now.

Tks all....

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has "attachments" to some pieces of clothing! :think

The upside is I can fit into some of the "smaller" clothes I had put away now...not to mention some really nice colourful push up bras that I've hung onto. Needless to say Mr. Yoda is QUITE happy about that one!! :) :)

Ummm...yeah, Jack...believe you me, you'll hear about it once I'm forced to shop at a normo store!!! I promise never to be discriminatory against the normos though!!!! :)

Congrats on the "BAD" NSV!! Look at it as an opportunity to have a "GOOD" NSV when you get to go shopping for new clothes! I LOVE SHOPPING!------

Which is evidenced by my massive amount of "old" clothes piling up around the house like Magsi. Any other ideas on what to do with those "old" clothes??

I have about 6 leaf bags of sizes 24-20 of clothes, some still with tags on them. I don't really know anyone that would wear that size. And I don't want to keep them because I feel like that would be a safety net for me, allowing me to hang on to them if I gain weight back.

:eek: Kristin

I have to say - anywhere BUT Goodwill. I used to work for their corporate offices. Trust me, you don't want your donations going there. :eek:

Here are a few other suggestions:

How about donating to a battered women's shelter? There are plenty of plus-sized women there, and most have left a lot of their clothing behind and are in need.

Sell them on Ebay. Use the $ you get to put toward new clothes. I put a few things up just to see what it would be like and I got more than I paid!

Put them in a consignment shop.

If you have a local support group, suggest a clothing swap night. Someone out there will want your sizes/clothes. Your worst will be someone else's best, vice versa.

Those are great ideas Wheetsin! Thanks so much! I really like the ebay idea for some of the clothes with tags still on, as new clothes seem to be getting expensive. But worth every penny!! :)

:eek: Kristin

My pile of clothes is getting bigger in the closet and as yet i think i still don't believe fully that i will never (say it loud, NEVER!!!:clap2: ) wear them again. I did give a bunch away before- remember when youtake a tax deduction just how much more plus size clothes cost!

I am wearing a pr of capris I bought off the rack from Walmart- cheapest pants i have bought for years and years! My first pants buy from a normo store! Hated to buy a size bigger then my other jeans but seeing as womens clothes makers can't get together and standardize sizing, we do what we have to. Romans 26 falling off, Walmart 28 fits perfect, and a walmart 26 is a couple weeks away to fitting.:biggrin1: Now, if enough of us band together and create a stink do you think we can get women's sizes standardized? Naw, dreaming again.........

Oh, there's better stuff out there for you. I myself have felt such loathing for my fat clothes that I can barely stand to touch them to throw them in the back of the car and head for the charity bin. Years of being forced into stuff I didnt want to wear, that I convinced myself was nice enough, god I've loved getting rid of the bloody lot of it.

I found a Tshirt the other day in the back of the wardrobe though which I tried on and I cant believe how huge it was on me. I honestly cant see that I've lost that much weight. Massive.

But if you're attached to it, why not keep it for sentimental reasons? Remind you where you've been and how far you've come?

I donate to Big Brother/Big Sisters and they are always grateful for whatever they receive. Since childhood and teen obesity is, sadly, on the rise, large size clothing is greatly appreciated by this organization.

I just keep chanting Bananna Republic, Bananna Republic... My dream has been to be able to wear clothes from there. I got fat right before they opened stores here.

I know it's sad, but think of all of the cute new stuff you can get :)