Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can handle the physical, the mental is the hard part!

Hello! My name is Jennifer and I'm new to the site. I am 7 days post op.

I know this sounds a little weird, but everyday since the surgery I've had dreams of myself eating something wrong. In my dreams, I forget I've had the surgery until after I've eaten. I think this is a combination of my fears of failing, and my past dieting mentalities. Either way, it scares me!

I am also struggling with keeping to my liquid diet while my family and friends are eating normally around me. I have prepared my self for smaller portions and smarter choices but the depression that comes along with a liquid diet totally blind sighted me! Does anyone have any advice for me??

I have two ideas. One is to carry in your pocket a list of why you want to succeed--like being able to cross my legs, tie my shoes, look hot on the motorcycle, walk without being winded, flirt and get interest, travel without worrying about stares from people when I eat, quit shopping at Lane Giant& Fashion BUtt. Interspere messages like-I can have those foods too once my stomach heals, this liquid phase is only temporary. Reread the list whenever necessary. 2. find someone who is qualified in hypnotherapy and have them use hypnosis to help you utilize positive self talk regarding head hunger ideas.

Hello! My name is Jennifer and I'm new to the site. I am 7 days post op.

I know this sounds a little weird, but everyday since the surgery I've had dreams of myself eating something wrong. In my dreams, I forget I've had the surgery until after I've eaten. I think this is a combination of my fears of failing, and my past dieting mentalities. Either way, it scares me!

I am also struggling with keeping to my liquid diet while my family and friends are eating normally around me. I have prepared my self for smaller portions and smarter choices but the depression that comes along with a liquid diet totally blind sighted me! Does anyone have any advice for me??

Welcome to the family Jage. We are all here to support you and are so glad you have joined us.

I didn't have those dreams; however, I know that Ruthi did -she and I had surgery the same day and I know that there are others on this site who have shared similar stories, so rest assured you're not alone! It would be interesting to have one's dreams analyzed as they never mean what they really seem to mean.

As for the liquid diet - yes, that was very difficult - I, too, never thought I'd have a problem with it - however, it was a tough journey -- I got through it by telling myself if was only temporary and that in xx number of days I could have, in my case, Tomato Soup. The full liquids, while still difficult, are so much easier than the Clear Liquids. Hang in there - for me it was 10 days - and I kept telling myself it would all be worth it ... and at 10 weeks out and 39 lbs. off, it has definitely been worth it. Norma's ideas are great ideas, too. Also, don't be around those when they are eating - just remove yourself from the temptation (or torture).

You'll do this !!!!

Hi Jennifer,

We must of had our surgeries around the same time. I was August 18th. I feel the same way. My husband and I met up with some friends at the car show and we walked around looking at cars, then our friends mentioned lets go have lunch. I was terrified because these friends I did not tell them I had surgery. I said ok.... and we walked to the burger joint and boy did it smell so good! I just ordered ice tea and said I ate a late Breakfast I am not that hungry. I was dying watching them eat their juicy hamburgers and fries. I got through it sipping my tea. We can get through this Jennifer! We already went 1 week Clear Liquids now liquids but thicker this week. We can do it!

Kelly65

One thing that made it easier for me was watching the scale move every day. It seemed to make it so worthwhile.

I also tried to stay away from anyone who was eating. Can you go into another room

while your family is eating?

I had the same thing happen to me post-op! I would dream about eating a chip before remembering that I was on a liquid only diet. The good news is that once I went to mushies, those dreams went away!

I have four kids at home & I had to prepare their meals each day...that was very tough while I was on liquids. I had a few breakdowns where I cried, but you know what??? I made it through it & I am 30 pounds lighter just 7 weeks post-op! I did leave the room while others were eating (when it was possible, sometimes it just wasn't). It is tough, but it is only a short amount of time...hang in there.

When I had these dreams, it usually meant that I was being too strict on my eating (I was on regular food when they started). I am guessing that you are just missing these foods because you are on liquids and it will get better once you move to softs and then regular food.

Thanks for all your support. You have all given me some good advice, I'm so glad I found this site!

Welcome! I am three days post op and I had dreams about food the first two nights. The night after surgery I was watching people eat and couldn't get to them. The second night I was in a lunch line picking stuff out but the stupid lunch ladies would not give me anything.

I think the dreams are for a few reasons. I don't know about you but I am not hungry at all so I don't think it is physical hunger. I know I have an addiction to food. When I quit smoking I dreamed about smoking so it does not surprise me when I "quit" food I would dream about it.

My husband pointed out that you are exposed to food no matter where you go. In the hospital my roomate was on a normal diet and got a huge tray of food. I got 1 oz of Jello that I never bothered to try and eat. Eating is also social. I came home last night and my family was tired and just wanted quick pizza. I ordered it for them. It was strange watching them eat. I was not hungry and really didn't want any but felt I was not a part of the group because I was trying to get a few ounces of Propel Water down not chowing on pizza.< /p>

Last night I felt a loss of the social part. Hang in there. I know it will get better. Hopefully my ramblings let you know you are not alone.