Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie from England, Uk, 10days post op, needing friends and support

Hi

Just joined the forum as I am 10 days post op, and have no firends that have a clue what it is I am going through! I feel like I'm whining all the time if I say i'm uncomfortable and sore. My Hubby is a gem, as are my kids and my parents, but whats missing in my life is girl friends!

I am starting this journey over in the United Kingdom, and am hoping to make some lifelong friends on here.

So far, the journey has been a sore one, but definately worth it! No complications, very smooth op and home in 3 days.

Starting to pick up on the eating and drinking day by day and am amazed that I have lost 18lbs already. I have a total of 140lbs to lose for my self set goal.

I am very needle phobic, and I was not pleased that I have to have an injection every day for 6 weeks post op. Maybe that would have changed my mind for having the op?! Maybe its a good job I didn't know about it before then :lol0:.

Well, thats enough for now, hoping some of you read this and take pity on me (haha) and reply.

Chat soon xxxxx

Hi tandy, glad you're doing well. I had my op nearly four weeks ago in Sheffield and you will find it will get easier. I was a band to sleeve revision so have not lost as much as you yet - I lost 7.5 stones with the band and then had the sleeve after having a lot of problems with slippage. I would still like to lose another 4 stone though to get to goal. Sounds like you are doing really well though and it won't be long before you are shopping in Next! Why do you need an injection for the next 6 weeks? I only had to self-inject clexane for 10 days post-op in order to prevent dvt.

There are lots of really lovely and supportive people on this site and I am sure you will find all the help you need. They tend to do some things different to us and what I have done is supplement the advice given by my surgeon and dietician with that given here. I wasn't advised to have Protein shakes or to take an acid reducer and I have been doing both now after taking advice from people here. Unfortunately information is rather sparse in the UK - my GP didn't even know what a sleeve gastrectomy was or bother to look it up and you will find that there is a lot of general ignorance surrouding bariatric surgery over here. Sounds like you have a very supportive family.

Helenxxx

Hi tandy, welcome to our forums. You have come to the right place for advice, support and friendship! We are just one big happy family here.

As Helen already stated, I am curious about the injections as well? I have never heard of that before.

Hi, Tandy! Welcome to the sleeve forum!

You will probably find this site very supportive and helpful.

I am currently giving my husband injections daily (he wasn't keen on "self-injecting!") of Lovenox after his surgery to prevent blood clots, but I think he also only had to do about 14 days worth. We have about 3 left.

Welcome Tandy. You will definitely find friendship and support here - someone is always willing to chat, advise and listen. don't ever feel as though your whining -- we've all been there.

As with everyone else, I, too, am curious about the injections. Guessing it must be to prevent blood clots but will be interested to hear.

One thing - your font color is very difficult to read (at least in my opinion, but them I'm old and going blind) ... would you consider darkening it up for us ole folks?

Welcome to the forum Tandy. Keep us posted on your progress or any other thing you might want to share.

Hi Tandy! Welcome.

Whine away. I have not even had surgery yet and I am whining and whinging here all the time. Also there are a lot people who have not had surgery yet like me who want to see how it is uncensored.

What is the time difference between there and the US on the West Coast Pacific time?

We have a good time in the chat room in the evenings. I know in the lap band chat room, a lot of the UK people would come in late because of the time difference. I am a night owl so that's okay with me.

Glad you found us. We are all very supportive and are happy to answer questions. There are some very knowledgeable people in here.

Thanks for all the lovely comments.

The jabs I am having is Clexane, which is to prevent DVT. Apparently, it used to be for 2 weeks only, but my surgeon had recently had a fatality at 2 weeks post op as soon as the clexane was stopped and he said he was not taking any chances at all so it was now for 6 weeks. I absolutely hate that part of it!

I know that I am still only 2 weeks post op now, and am still sore. sleeping is so uncomfy as each part of my back hurts however i lay. In addition to this i have the awful pain under my left bust which is like a constant ache, so will be glad when that goes!

Despite everything, i know this will be so worth it in the end. I am amazed that I do not feel hungry, this must be because the part of the stomach that sends hunger signals to the brain is removed, leaving you not feeling hungry at all. I have to keep reminding myself to actually try to eat something.

Tiredness is a bit of a killer and I hope this will get better with time. Am supposed to be back at work in 2 weeks, so better get a move on with recovery.

Thanks again everyone

hi tandy

i had my surgery almost 3 weeks ago so i know how you feel. i got the sleeve down but 3 others in my family have gotten it done. the only problem is that it all ended badly for them. im scared out of my mind i keep thinking its going to happen to me to. and for friends not one knows what im going through and its hell. scared cause it feels like im alone in this town and not knowing what to do or eat or if im doing enough. write back..

joanie

Tandy, I am also having a really hard time seeing your font. It's very small and very light.

Can someone direct Tandy how to change the color and make it a little bigger? I don't want to miss anything she is saying!

Hi Tandy,

I am in the UK too, had my sleeve done 3 months ago. Please don't worry, it does get better.

Did you have it done laproscopically?

I hated those little injections too, I got my daughter to do them for me as I couldn't bear the idea. I only had a weeks worth when I got home from surgery so poor you. They sting a bit too. But in a few months you will look back on it and be glad you did this operation.

Carrying an extra 140lbs is totally draining, you will feel so much better soon. My back is not constantly aching now, and I can walk for 3 miles nn problem! I feel I have a chance of being around for my kids when they have their children now, before I thought I would definitely die early.

Your current tiredness is probably to do with the anesthetic still in your system. That will improve and in a couple more weeks you will feel much more normal.

Like Helen says you will get all the real info you need on this forum. Using a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) acid blocker is important and getting 60g of Protein a day is key too. The Protein shakes are available in big Tescos and Asdas (and probably all the other big supermarkets) and as long as you choose high protein/low carbs you will find they help enormously.

Anyway, All the best to you.

Jane x

Jane's right, it does get better. Only a couple of weeks ago I was wondering when I was going to feel normal again but now at 4 weeks out I have practically forgotten that I had an op! Mine was a bit more complicated as it was open surgery and all my abdominal muscles were stitched up as well. You will be running around in no time!

Oh how i feel for you at this time! You must mail on here and you will get the support you need. Just because it didn't work for your family does not mean it won't work for you. Remember you are in control of what you put in your mouth, howmuch and when you go through the stages. Dont be talked into anything else by anyone one else. I am here for you, any time you need a chat.xx