Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just read some scary stuff, need perspective

Hi-

I was over on the yahoo group, wls_uncensored, and I read some scary stuff about the VSG...

Like fat and Protein deficiency and leaky gut syndrome, as well as Calcium, Iron, and B-12 problems. Death/paralysis of the stomach in the long term...

Now I know these are just worst case issues, but I don't usually experience buyers remorse, and I would love a little re-assurance here.

I am having a minor freak out at the moment.

In good news I am 2 weeks out and down 20 lbs.

OK------

As always, you will read the worst of the worst and then think OMG what if??? Well what if the sky is cloudy tomorrow what if my car doesn't start, what if what if what if....get my drift?

From everything I have read, there are more problems with the RNY and Band than the sleeve. Yes the other two have more 'history' however the problems with the other showed early in the use, to date problems with the sleeve have been minimal compared to.

Say a prayer turn it over to your higher power and let it go.....

Peace

Well, it can be scary when you look at the risks. I think the reputable bariatric surgeons try to make their patients aware of any risks too prior to the surgery. But, on the other hand, there are associated risks with every surgery. If we focused on it, we would probably not have any type of surgery or take any type of medication. The question that usually has to be weighed though is how large are the risks really and how do they compare to the risk of NOT having the surgery/procedure or taking a certain med.

Also regarding some possible long-term effect of "death" or paralysis of the stomach, that was mentioned, let me remind you that it is entirely possible to live without a stomach at all. (Unfortunately, a close friend of mine did when she developed stomach cancer. Not desirable to be sure, but she adapted to eating without it just fine.)

My husband had VSG on 7/28/09

Dr. James Davidson

Dallas, Texas

Edited by kaykay

I just looked into that other group and they sound like they exist solely to scare people away from getting WLS.

Most of what you list is really just not an issue for 99.9% of the people or is easily combated by proper nutrition.

Protein and fat deficiencies? Protein I could see for a certain small minority but fat? I don't see how that's even possible. We have less intrinsic factor because our stomachs are smaller and that gives a small minority a problem (they have to take B12 supplements), but there is no reason why we can't process fat normally. Calcium deficiency? That is a known problem with partial gastrectomies that is easily remedied by taking calcium supplements. (And it's a problem for many women in the US who haven't even had WLS.)

Leaky gut syndrome? You'd have to develop a leak. Less than 1% of patients do that and even less of them have issues once the leak heals.

Partial gastrectomies have been performed for decades, first as a cure for ulcers and stomach cancer, and then as part of the DS, and have been shown to be relatively safe with few side-effects.

Thanks guys.

After I took a few deep breaths, and stepped away from the computer, I felt much better.

I have a good PCP, and a good surgeon, and I am going to follow their directions. I am even participating in that study, so if something goes wrong, I am sure they will be picking up on it.

I am very happy with how I am doing. And gosh darn it I am going to keep it that way!

Dear Blue Skidoo-

Well, your stomach can die if your surgeon cuts the gastric artery. That's the reason to use a surgeon who is highly experienced in sleeve gastrectomy and who has an excellent reputation.

The good news is that your surgeon apparently did not cut your gastric artery. If he did you would know it by now!

Anyone can have nutritional deficiencies. You don't have to have had bariatric surgery to develop a deficiency. As long as you eat properly and take the Vitamins your surgeon recommended you should be fine. In the event you do develop a deficiency, your PCP will be drawing blood once a year and should catch anything in plenty of time to correct it.

As for the rest of the stuff you heard, it sounds like urban legand.

Stop worrying. Just see you PCP once or twice a year for blood tests.

Best wishes,

Point of fact: Leaky Gut Syndrome has to do with Bacteria crossing the intestinal wall to the blood stream. I don't believe it has anything to do with a leak at your staple line. Leaky gut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In any case I visited that group. I read for HOURS. I could not find anyone who had VSG with problems. In fact I can't find people with serious problems anywhere with VSG and I have looked (I am not speaking of leaks because they do happen). "I mean more of I had it 3 years ago and it was the worst thing I ever did". Wouldn't they be burning up the net by now?

I had done an enormous amount of research before I went for surgery, both on the surgery and the surgeon.

But man, thst group really has every single bad possibility laid out in such a way as to freak a person out.

I think Mac is right, they exist to dissuade people.

They are sites like that. And they always say "we tell THE TRUTH" here .... because obviously all good experiences are made up lies. :wink:

My husband's grandma had a partial gastrectomy for other health reasons when she was young and died when she was nearly 90 from liver cancer and MRSA! All surgery carries its risks whatever it is. Yesterday the BBC reported a woman who had died after a having a gastric band and predictably her family were warning people not to have bariatric surgery blah blah blah. It's very sad but unfortunately every death relating to WLS is reported by the media. I know that I would probably have died sooner from an obesity related illness.

Yes Helen, me too. I am trying to join that group to put alternative POV. I did the numbers and figured my chances of living were far higher with WLS than staying very fat.

My husband's grandma had a partial gastrectomy for other health reasons when she was young and died when she was nearly 90 from liver cancer and MRSA! All surgery carries its risks whatever it is. Yesterday the BBC reported a woman who had died after a having a gastric band and predictably her family were warning people not to have bariatric surgery blah blah blah. It's very sad but unfortunately every death relating to WLS is reported by the media. I know that I would probably have died sooner from an obesity related illness.
Yes Helen, me too. I am trying to join that group to put alternative POV. I did the numbers and figured my chances of living were far higher with WLS than staying very fat.

I agree. There reaches a point when the continuing obesity is a lot bigger risk than bariatric surgery.

Below is the correspondence with the owner of WLS_Uncensored. I have not had a reply. I would ignore this group as they are a single issue band with no desire to hear alternative POVs.

Cheers, Jane

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Sue,

I was concerned about the info you linked to at http://obesitysurgery-info.com/gastric-sleeve.htm

I have had 60% of my stomach removed not 90%. I did do a lot of research before going for this op, weighing up the relative risks of surgery vs being morbidly obese. I think it?s good that you are running a site that puts the down side of these procedures, everyone should know the risks as well as the promised hope. But it should be correct info IMHO, otherwise you run the risk of scaring people unnecessarily.

I would be happy to answer questions re my op but I am only 3 months out from the procedure. I am in contact with others that are much further down the road and seem to be doing very well. But as with all surgical procedures there are risks. There are also big risks of being fat. I think from the stats I read I reduced my chances of dying prematurely from 3x normal to 1.5 x normal in the 1st 2 months post op.

But I have found it difficult at times adjusting to the new eating ability, which is restricted. I have to eat healthily, Protein 1st and veggies after. I take a multivit too to be on the safe side and I am still dealing with being on a PPI and looking to wean myself off this. My gall bladder may be making a bid for freedom from me too! But on balance I am very glad I did what I did as my life was so bad before, I could not even walk 50 yards without intense back pain and lack of breath.

Anyhows that my story, warts and all.

All the very best,

Jane x

Sent: 18 August 2009 19:41

To: xxxx

Subject: VSG - wants to join WLS_uncensored

Hi you wrote you are a new op with a VSG and very happy... wonder why you are wanting to join a list where there are a lot of long termers who are not real happy and people are basically looking for informed consent info....

I'd love to have a VSG resource to answer questions but they would have to be very honest about the down sides etc....

talk to me... :)

hugs,

SueW

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, it's that looney tunes, Sue Widemark! Her websites are horrible - full of misinformation and lies -- and she is completely not interested in hearing anything good about WLS.

She calls herself a medical researcher but she's a software engineer who reads stuff on the web about medical issues and blogs about it. Medical researcher, my ass!

She's a Morbidly Obese woman who belongs to the Size Acceptance movement and believes WLS is evil... but Weight Watchers is okay. (Hypocritical, if you ask me....)

My response is: "I wonder why you want to run a list about WLS when you've never had it and don't believe in it."