Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Haven't lost any more weight since the initial 1 week post-op

The same thing is happening to me. I started mushies last Wednesday, and the scale hasn't budged. Haven't gained, it just stays EXACTLY the same. I'm ready for it to move down again.

Mine stalled for about 2 weeks and now it's moving again -- nothing has changed as far as my food or exercise regime, so not sure what's going on, but not complaining that the scale is moving (downward) again.

I learned recently that SOY is a goitrogen, so if you have any thyroid problems, be wary of soy. It will impede your thyroid and slow down your metabolism. I noticed a lot of the Protein stuff has SOY as the main ingredient . I'm going to avoid SOY and go with whey and eventually pure protein (chicken,fish, etc). Check your labels, you will be AMAZED at how much stuff has SOY in it these days (using it as a filler because it's cheap) ! GOOD LUCK:thumbup:

I say it's Water weight. If you watch The Biggest Loser, they always bitch about how, after the big loses in week 1, week 2 is a bitch and people even GAIN.

The thing is, when you first go on a diet, your body depletes your muscles of glycogen to get its energy. But, after a while, it figures out this is a long-term deal and it starts burning fat instead. It takes 4 lb. of Water to store a lb. of glycogen. So the first week or two, you lose 4 lb. of water for every lb. of glycogen you lose (usually 1 or 2) and then the next week or two, you put all that water back on.

In the meantime, you are losing fat just fine, but the amount of water you put back on may mask that.

I sure hope it's Water weight. It's been almost two weeks since the scale has moved for me. I go for a check-up tomorrow, and I'm pretty frustrated. This stall started a few days after I got off liquids.< /p>

I sure hope it's Water weight. It's been almost two weeks since the scale has moved for me. I go for a check-up tomorrow, and I'm pretty frustrated. This stall started a few days after I got off liquids.

From all that I have read, that is totally normal Ash - I stalled for 2 weeks - scale didn't move even 1/10th of an ounce - then it started moving again - hang in there!

Ash, I promise, it will start moving again! I stalled for several weeks. It can be frustrating, but it will pass.

Hi There

How are you doing? Have you been able to drink any more Water, or lose any weight? I go into see Dr. Joya for VSG on the 17th. I have been on liquid preop diet for 10 days and only lost 8lbs. so I feel for you. I hope to lose even more. Maybe it's your thyroid too, have you had it checked? Good Luck!

Ash, I promise, it will start moving again! I stalled for several weeks. It can be frustrating, but it will pass.
I'm praying you guys are right! I go in for a check-up today and I'm going to voice my concerns....the scale has mostly stayed the same until Monday. It went down, yay, and has gone UP ALMOST FOUR POUNDS since Monday. I'm doing nothing different other than trying to drink more water!!!! I've got many questions for the Dr today!!! :svengo:

My guess is that it is Water weight from the additional water - perhaps you were dehyrdrated - keep drinking (water that is) and I am sure once your tissues get rehydrated your weight will once again start dropping.

My guess is that it is Water weight from the additional water - perhaps you were dehyrdrated - keep drinking (water that is) and I am sure once your tissues get rehydrated your weight will once again start dropping.
Yeah, my mouth was getting super dry at night...like...I'd wake up and my tongue and lips would crack...it HURT! This was a nightly thing ever since surgery. It has really improved since I started drinking more water (more than 64 oz) every day.

Even now, I have to keep a bottle of Water next to my bed at night. I am doing great at getting all my fluids in now, but still wake up during the night with an incredibly dry mouth so it helps having that bottle right next to me.

This is pretty classically expected. The initial steep drop is basically due to very low calories, limited diet as well as consumption of the immediate source of energy of thebody from the liver (Glycogen) which is very avid to hold Water. (this latter is the cause of easy loss of the first 2-3 Kg on any diet) The other factor and probably lasts for two weeks is the active breaking down stage after surgery (catabolic stage). Then you will enter a stage where the body is getting adapted to the new weight and figuring a new level of body weight fighting to lose more weight. Thereafter, You lose or gain according to your net balance of intake and expenditure. It is logic to lose 2-3 Kg / month. Good Luck, be moderate in expectations.

Hi DrMedHat,

Just checked my weight loss chart, at 5 months I am averaging 12lbs per month. The line is still pretty linear and my BMI is just over 30. Hoorah, soon I will be just overweight rather than obese!!

Cheers, Jane