Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fatty Diet and Cancer

Fatty Diet Linked to Pancreatic Cancer

PRINCETON, JUNE 26 -- People who consume large amounts of fat, especially from red meat and dairy products, are more likely to contract pancreatic cancer, according to a National Institutes of Health study.

Men and women who consumed large amounts of saturated fat were 36% more likely to suffer from pancreatic cancer (95% CI 1.14 to 1.62, P<.001 for trend), researchers reported online in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

The study found that the link between fat intake and cancer was strongest for saturated fat from animal food sources, which were associated with a 43% increase in cancer risk (95% CI 1.20 to 1.70, P<0.001 for trend). The relationship was particularly strong for red meat and dairy products (HR 1.27 and 1.19, respectively).

Action Points

• <LI class=APP>Inform interested patients that research suggests diets high in fat, especially fat from meat and dairy products, are linked to increased risk of pancreatic cancer.

• Note that the accompanying editorial argued more evidence was needed to confirm the importance of animal fats in the development of pancreatic cancer.

"We observed positive associations between pancreatic cancer and intakes of total, saturated, and monounsaturated fat overall, particularly from red meat and dairy food sources," wrote Rachael Z. Stolzenberg-Solomon, PhD, of the agency's Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, and colleagues.

"We did not observe any consistent association with polyunsaturated, saturated, or monounsaturated fat from plant food sources. Altogether, these results suggest a role for animal fat in pancreatic carcinogenesis," they concluded.

In an accompanying editorial, Brian M. Wolpin, MD, MPH, of the Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston and Meir J. Stampfer, MD, DrPH, of the Harvard School of Public Health, cautioned that more research is needed to confirm that consuming animal fat puts people at higher risk for pancreatic cancer.

"The available epidemiological and laboratory evidence are insufficient to confirm the importance of animal fats, per se, or even that meat is the important factor, as opposed to other dietary or lifestyle preferences associated with meat consumption," they wrote.

For this study, NIH researchers analyzed a cohort of more than 500,000 people from the National Institutes of Health-AARP Diet and Health Study.

Participants completed a food frequency questionnaire in 1995 and 1996 and were then followed prospectively to track a variety of health outcomes, including pancreatic cancer.

Over an average follow-up of 6.3 years, 865 men and 472 women were diagnosed with exocrine pancreatic cancer (45.0 and 34.5 cases per 100,000 person-years, respectively).

Among the participants who consumed the highest amounts of total fats, the rate of cancer was 53% higher for men and 23% higher for women, compared to participants with the lowest fat diets.

Combining the data for men and women, the researchers found that total fat consumption was associated with 23% higher rates of pancreatic cancer (95% CI 1.03 to 1.46, P=0.03 for trend), while high intake of monosaturated fats was associate with 22% higher cancer rates (95% CI 1.02 to 1.46, P=0.05).

"An association between saturated fat from red meat and pancreatic cancer was seen in men only -- consistent with what was reported in this cohort for red meat consumption -- whereas the association with saturated fat overall and from dairy products did not differ between men and women," Stolzenberg-Solomon and her colleagues wrote.

They theorized that the association between fat intake and pancreatic cancer could be related to the exocrine function of the pancreas, which excretes enzymes such as lipases that digest fat.

"Fats and fatty acids contained in chyme enter the duodenum, which releases cholecystokinin to stimulate pancreatic enzyme secretion and pancreatic hypertrophy and hyperplasia," they wrote, "which could in turn increase the susceptibility of the pancreas to other carcinogens."

They also note that studies have linked saturated fat to insulin resistance and that diabetes and insulin resistance have been associated with increased pancreatic cancer risk.

In their editorial, Wolpin and Stampfer, praised the NIH researchers for adding evidence for the health benefits of diets low in meat and saturated fat, and for offering potential clues to the mechanisms underlying pancreatic cancer.

"Pancreatic cancer is the fourth leading cause of cancer-related mortality in the U.S., and 80 to 85% of patients have incurable disease at the time of diagnosis," they wrote.

"Furthermore, more than 95% of patients diagnosed with pancreatic cancer will ultimately die from the disease, highlighting the urgent need for novel insights into pancreatic tumorigenesis."

However, the editorialists also called for studies that dig deeper into the mystery of pancreatic cancer, suggesting that researchers collaborate to increase the numbers of participants in studies.

They also suggested a greater use of banked plasma, germline DNA, and tumor tissue from study participants to advance understanding of pancreatic cancer pathogenesis.

Overall, they called on scientists, "to push our research efforts in novel directions and provide hope for meaningful progress in this highly lethal disease."

The National Cancer Institute funded this study. The researchers reported no conflicts of interest.

Primary source: Journal of the National Cancer Institute

Source reference:

Theibaut C, et al "Dietary fatty acids and pancreatic cancer in the NIH-AARP diet and health study" J Natl Cancer Inst 2009; 101: 1001-11.

Ugh, sound appealing not.

I'm glad we have more of a moderate Protein, high wholegrains, fruit and veg program here in Australia.

Edited by Jachut

I was born allergic to milk and, by choice, don't eat beef, pork, or lamb. I weaned myself off of using butter a few years ago so my diet is pretty healthy. Now that I'm eating smaller portions, I sure hope I have the recipe for success.

Coz I am always so vocal on LBT about what I think about all the focus being in Protein and particularly what I think about low carb diets, lol, lots of people pm me.

Why? Because they get a year down the track, have their annual check up and find to their horror that their cholesterol, HDL/LDL balance, blood pressure has WORSENED in the year following their surgery. Seriously, I have had about 40 pms in my time on there with people wanting to know more about what I eat because their blood chemistry is so bad after a year on Protein shakes, high Protein animal foods such as meat, eggs and dairy and so very few fruits and vegetables, grains, nuts and seeds.. They're secretive about it because the culture of high protein eating is so strong there, and they dont want others to know that its not working for them. They want to know more about my "high carb" diet - its not that high carb actually, I just do eat organic stoneground bread, grains, and focus more on produce than protein.

Nutrition after weight loss surgery is a very very precise thing. Yes, you run a risk of running low on protein with the small intake. But focus on protein and you run a risk of missing out on something else. Focus on Calcium and you wont get enough of something else, focus on fibre and your protein will be too low. Its almost impossible to get the right balance on the small amounts of food most WLS patients eat. So nothing is RIGHT or WRONG, its all a matter of balance for your body and what suits you personally.

I grew up in the 80's, to me the basic food pyramid will always be the healthy way to eat, I dont believe its all a conspiracy. But in reality, I may not have the cancer risk that someone on a much lower carb, higher protein diet has but I've probably got four times the risk of say, diabetes, or something incredibly vague like degenerative disease of the eyelashes, lol.

Nothing's perfect, that's why I think moderation and not jumping in boots and all into ANY philosophy of nutrition is probably the safest bet.

Thanks for that -- I always thought that Atkins wasn't healthy for any length of time. I prefer sals with a bit of chicken and cheese on them over eggs, red meat, etc. I also love whole grain bread - I can't even tell you the last time I bought white bread. So it's nice to read you take on moderation of all food groups is the best path ... once I am off these damn liquids/mushies and can eat "real" food, I intend to go back to eating the veggies, fish, chicken, fruits and some whole grain foods as I did before ... I'll just leave out the pastries, ice cream, Cookies -- basically white refined sugar. I think I will do well with that concept ... and lots of exercising -- I guess only time will tell.

Thanks for that -- I always thought that Atkins wasn't healthy for any length of time. I prefer sals with a bit of chicken and cheese on them over eggs, red meat, etc. I also love whole grain bread - I can't even tell you the last time I bought white bread. So it's nice to read you take on moderation of all food groups is the best path ... once I am off these damn liquids/mushies and can eat "real" food, I intend to go back to eating the veggies, fish, chicken, fruits and some whole grain foods as I did before ... I'll just leave out the pastries, ice cream, Cookies -- basically white refined sugar. I think I will do well with that concept ... and lots of exercising -- I guess only time will tell.

My 3 month check up (at my one year post op) was primo! The only food group I have cut out is white carbs. Bread, Pasta, flour, sugar, and potatoes.

I feel great, I maintain well, life is grand.

I feel one hell of a lot better than when I was having band problems and lived on Protein shakes and tuna!

Coz I am always so vocal on LBT about what I think about all the focus being in Protein and particularly what I think about low carb diets, lol, lots of people pm me.

Why? Because they get a year down the track, have their annual check up and find to their horror that their cholesterol, HDL/LDL balance, blood pressure has WORSENED in the year following their surgery. Seriously, I have had about 40 pms in my time on there with people wanting to know more about what I eat because their blood chemistry is so bad after a year on Protein shakes, high protein animal foods such as meat, eggs and dairy and so very few fruits and vegetables, grains, nuts and seeds.. They're secretive about it because the culture of high protein eating is so strong there, and they dont want others to know that its not working for them. They want to know more about my "high carb" diet - its not that high carb actually, I just do eat organic stoneground bread, grains, and focus more on produce than protein.

Nutrition after weight loss surgery is a very very precise thing. Yes, you run a risk of running low on protein with the small intake. But focus on protein and you run a risk of missing out on something else. Focus on Calcium and you wont get enough of something else, focus on fibre and your protein will be too low. Its almost impossible to get the right balance on the small amounts of food most WLS patients eat. So nothing is RIGHT or WRONG, its all a matter of balance for your body and what suits you personally.

I grew up in the 80's, to me the basic food pyramid will always be the healthy way to eat, I dont believe its all a conspiracy. But in reality, I may not have the cancer risk that someone on a much lower carb, higher protein diet has but I've probably got four times the risk of say, diabetes, or something incredibly vague like degenerative disease of the eyelashes, lol.

Nothing's perfect, that's why I think moderation and not jumping in boots and all into ANY philosophy of nutrition is probably the safest bet.

I'm with you. The healthiest people in the world are the asians. They use meat as the minor portion of the meal and make veggies the main part. I don't care for any of the protein powders and don't do low carbs. I do healthy (complex) carbs and refuse to give up fruits and veggies. My cholesterol yesterday was 160, triglycerides were 51, HDL was 65, and LDL was 87.

I don't agree with shoving 70 grams of protein in me everyday and stay out of those thread discussing how to get more protein in. Looking at your pic., you're obviously doing something right.

Eh, my cholesterol was 195 when I decided to get surgery and it's 131 now. I find my cholesterol goes down when my calorie consumption goes down. It doesn't seem to matter what the calories are made up of.