Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I do not meet with the nutritionist until July 6, but noticed in the binder I received from the office that I should begin a "high Protein, low carbohydrate" diet now. It calls for getting in 70 grams of protein and limiting carbohydrates to 30 grams. Over my numerous years of dieting--Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, diet pills, etc.--I've never done a strictly high protein diet.

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. I'm not too concerned about lunches (I know I can do salads), but for Breakfast I like eggs when I eat with a muffin or toast (not really by themselves). I know that I will be changing my eating habits and am excited about doing this to feel better/healthier, but I'm just not sure where to start. Do you think I should wait until I meet with the nutritionist, or are there some good (simple) resources on the web that can help me plan out my days/grocery lists? Should I just focus on upping the protein and lowering the carbs at one meal each day for now?

Thank you for any advice you might have and just letting me get this off my chest.

I do not meet with the nutritionist until July 6, but noticed in the binder I received from the office that I should begin a "high Protein, low carbohydrate" diet now. It calls for getting in 70 grams of Protein and limiting carbohydrates to 30 grams. Over my numerous years of dieting--Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, diet pills, etc.--I've never done a strictly high protein diet.

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. I'm not too concerned about lunches (I know I can do salads), but for Breakfast I like eggs when I eat with a muffin or toast (not really by themselves). I know that I will be changing my eating habits and am excited about doing this to feel better/healthier, but I'm just not sure where to start. Do you think I should wait until I meet with the nutritionist, or are there some good (simple) resources on the web that can help me plan out my days/grocery lists? Should I just focus on upping the protein and lowering the carbs at one meal each day for now?

Thank you for any advice you might have and just letting me get this off my chest.

If they want you to start a low carb diet now I would do as they suggest instead of waiting to meet with the nutritionist.

What they are basically asking you to do is Atkins. You can do lots of web searches for Atkins.

I would call the office and ask if they mean carbs or net carbs because it makes a difference. I know my doctor does not want net carbs, he wants a maximum of 30gms of carbs daily.

As a general rule, if it has flour or sugar, don't eat it. Potatoes are very high in carbs. Many veggies have lots of carbs, more than you'd realize. Peas and corn are out. Most fruits are very high in carbs. salad dressings, sauces, Pasta, rice...

You can look up carb content here:

Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com

You can even search by low carb foods.

Do little things such as use a lettuce leaf in place of a bun for burgers. For steaks instead of A1 sauce or something similar coat your steak with a thin layer of olive oil (very thin) and put lots of spices on instead. Marinate and either grill or broil.

Lots of people assume healthy foods are low in carbs and this is not true, there are good carbs too but for the sake of pre op diet even good carbs are out. It helps shrink your liver.

Thank you for the information, I think you're right that I need to start before my meeting with the nutritionist. Right now I am traveling across country to visit family and I purchased some Atkins products for the car. I noticed that the bars I picked up had a lot of carbs (22 grams), so I snacked on one the entire day. I also did remove one of the Buns on my sandwich when we stopped for lunch, but tomorrow I will try putting the meat between the lettuce (no bun at all). I picked up a South Beach diet book at a store also and will do a little reading tonight...hopefully it will give me some good information as well.

Thanks again, I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

I'm booking my surgery tomorrow - They told me they have a July 27th date available. They told me I would take my Educational 4 hour class two weeks before the surgery - They said they would review the Pre op and post op diets at that time.

I know each doctor is different on diet requirements, but wondering why they would wait two weeks prior to the surgery? I must admit that I've gained some weight since the doctor took my fill out. I can eat anything now, and I'm hungry all the time. I need to get back on track and make better choices. It's been nice being able to eat normally again... first time in 4.5 years.... but it's not nice gaining the weight.

I'm really looking forward to my surgery.!!!

I'm booking my surgery tomorrow - I know each doctor is different on diet requirements, but wondering why they would wait two weeks prior to the surgery? I'm really looking forward to my surgery.!!!

Congrats on your date!

It is my understanding that the pre-op diet is more to shrink your liver before surgery than for you to lose any weight. Often times the two go hand-in-hand. It's generally a high Protein, low carb (under 30 g) diet -- like Atkins -- that they put you on. I found it quite easy to follow and although I didn't lose all that much weight, apparently my liver was in wonderful condition!

Hope that helps!

My best advice is to begin High Protein shakes/drinks. You will need them after surgery for sure. They can be really pricey, so try to find sample packs, which u can find online....try out a few different ones. Also, theres many of us that actually still have some of these shakes left...but arent using them anymore. You can ask around and see who would be willing to send u some to try out..

Good luck with the preop...its super important..trust me, I know this first hand (long story)