Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Weird Food

So I have this rule I make myself follow. Each time I go to the grocery store I have to try some new produce item that I have never tried before. Red or green cauliflower, Yucca root (that was gross, and it is quite literally poisonous unless you cook it), chayote (GREAT STUFF!), Tomatillos...

Well, today my new find is Lychees, English Cucumbers, and a red Tamarillo.

I can figure out what to do with the English Cucs, but what the heck does one do with Lychees and Red Tamarillos? The Lychees look like cool, so ugly they dare you to eat them. ;o)

Suggestions?

I tried weird bananas once, I had no idea there were so many kinds. That was not a winner. The Yucca root was certainly NOT a winner, but most things I have tried I like.

I keep buying eggplant but before I figure out what to do with it, it rots.

I think that you just peel the lychees and eat them like grapes?

That's what the produce lady said. They are weird looking little buggars.

I forgot, I also got some weird peaches. They look like someone smooshed them, they are short and kinda flat. I tried one and they are pretty good.

So I have this rule I make myself follow. Each time I go to the grocery store I have to try some new produce item that I have never tried before. Red or green cauliflower, Yucca root (that was gross, and it is quite literally poisonous unless you cook it), chayote (GREAT STUFF!), Tomatillos...

I can figure out what to do with the English Cucs, but what the heck does one do with Lychees and Red Tamarillos? The Lychees look like cool, so ugly they dare you to eat them. ;o)

Suggestions?

I tried weird bananas once, I had no idea there were so many kinds. That was not a winner. The Yucca root was certainly NOT a winner, but most things I have tried I like.

How funny WASa I used to do the exact same thing however, I got out of the habit -- I think once I'm back to real food, I'll pick it up again. Most of my items were fruit and a few veggies -however most I knew how to cook ... I'm sure you could go online and google recipes for those items. Will be interesting to see how they turn out/taste.

Keep us posted.

and oh yeah ....

We actually have been buying english cucumbers over the others - they seem to have more flavor, at least this time of the year.

As for the eggplant - couldn't you slice it and grill it with a bit of garlic powder or salt & pepper (like I do my sweet potatoes)?

You just peel lychees, they're a bit of work, but they're delicious. Although they have this weid drying effect on your mouth.

English cucumbers, not so exotic here, just eat em in a salad.

Eggplant - we roast them, or char grill them sliced, they're nice, or you can use slices in place of noodles in a lasagne, um, make moussaka too. There's loads you can do with eggplant.

I've never eaten a Tamarillo.

How funny WASa I used to do the exact same thing however, I got out of the habit -- I think once I'm back to real food, I'll pick it up again. Most of my items were fruit and a few veggies -however most I knew how to cook ... I'm sure you could go online and google recipes for those items. Will be interesting to see how they turn out/taste.

Keep us posted.

Oh no no no... WASa doesn't do recipes. WASa steams it or eats it raw, WASa is a horrible cook! ;o)

You just peel lychees, they're a bit of work, but they're delicious. Although they have this weid drying effect on your mouth.

English cucumbers, not so exotic here, just eat em in a salad.

Eggplant - we roast them, or char grill them sliced, they're nice, or you can use slices in place of noodles in a lasagne, um, make moussaka too. There's loads you can do with eggplant.

I've never eaten a Tamarillo.

Eggplant, I have to try it so I can quit buying it and waiting for it to rot. What is moussaka?

Tamarillo... I tried it today. It was okay, a bit like a semi sweet/semi sour Tomato. It wasn't bad but I won't be rushing out to buy another.

I have never even seen a lychee (singular?) before. I'm looking forward to trying them. Right now... malted milk balls. Yum.

Oh no no no... WASa doesn't do recipes. WASa steams it or eats it raw, WASa is a horrible cook! ;o)

OMG you are too funny ... and I thought I was bad ... :lol0:

Moussaka

Its greek lamb and eggplant casserole, a pretty staple food here, like good old spag bol.

Like who? Can you say that again in English? ;o)))))

OMG you are too funny ... and I thought I was bad ... :lol0:

Oh, I have a story about my oven. Someday I will tell it. It's embarrassing, I have to be in the mood to tell it. ;o) Like.... after a couple of rum and fresh lemonades. Heh....

Oh, I have a story about my oven. Someday I will tell it. It's embarrassing, I have to be in the mood to tell it. ;o) Like.... after a couple of rum and fresh lemonades. Heh....

BARTENDER - Get this lady a rum and fresh lemonade ... and make it a double! :lol0:

Maybe next time I am in AZ we can go for Greek food. Moussaka is pronounced with the accent on the ka part. It's very good if made right. We would have to share, of course.

I love "My Big Fat Greek Restaurant" in AZ. I noticed on the menu that there are several of them in the Phoenix area.