Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NIGHT TIME HUNGER :(

I was just wondering how do you handle the night time hunger? I do fine all day long but as soon as night falls here comes the hunger, and if you do eat something to curve the hunger what do you eat?? every body is not a night eater but if you are how do you handle it? thanks

I don't get hungry much at night anymore but when I get that crave for some thing sweet I grab a teaspoon of Peanut Butter. At least with the PB I am satisfying my palette with something that has Protein.< /p>

thanks jim.... maybe I need to try some good old peanut butter...

This is a topic dear to my heart. I cannot control my middle of the night eating. I think it is my diabetes raising it's ugly head! I am trying to have a fruit serving at bedtime. (When I remember.) :angry: This is at 3 or 4 in the morning when I wake up for bathroom duty. I am diabetic borderline, so sugar or juice allows me to go back to sleep! But once in awhile I have toast & sugar free jam . . . but once I start that I want more. When I get my saline back next week that should soon vanish. (I hope.) But "THANK YOU GOD" my cancer has not reappeared! :wub:

I battle night time hunger a lot, but I work a part time 3rd shift job which doesn't help! I always make sure to keep things handy for my late night cravings! I snack on some string cheese, or a few pieces of turkey pepperoni. If I'm craving something sweet, I'll have an apple. For a late night chocolate fix, I'll take 5 or 6 raspberries and 'stuff' each one with a semi sweet chocolate chip.

once I finish dinner, I go into my bedroom. it is my food free zone and even though the kitchen is only down the hall, it makes a difference from a psychological perspective. I find that I think about food more when I am in the living room rather than the bedroom. I realize this only works if you have no children to care for but it's something maybe worth trying. good luck.

I have a snack after dinner almost every night. I account for it, and enjoy it. Sometimes it's an Atkins bar, popcorn, greek yogurt or a piece of fruit. If I'm battling wanting to continue eating afterward, I'll go upstairs and take a hot bath. Sometimes the urge to "hand to mouth it" is so strong, but other times I'm happy after one of "whatever".

night time hunger to me is head hunger

sitting and watching tv, the commercials easy to fall into the snack habit

so i use my drinking, or snack on a healthy option...to satisfy

its tough that is for sure...but you are stronger than you give

yourself credit for

When I exercise after work, it really helps to curb the hunger. I also like sugar free popsicles, they help.

For me, the key is figuring out if it's physical hunger or head hunger. More often than not when it's at night, it's head hunger.

If it is head hunger, I distract myself to ignore it. If it's physical hunger, I have a low calorie/high Protein snack. Like Jim, a spoonful of Peanut Butter works wonders. So does some string cheese or a half cup of cottage cheese.< /p>

thanks everyone for the feed back im going to try some of the suggestion I really appreciate you all taking time out to respond to my post, because I felt like I was really in trouble trying to control this night time monster..but I feel better with all the responses...

i have a self imposed rule not eating after 7pm. i was a night time snacker big time. would actually eat while sleeping and wake up with crumbs in my bed! crazy... so it's hard but i just don't allow myself to indulge anymore. if the cravings won't stop i will drink a hot cup of tea with a little honey or take a soak in the tub.

I battle night time hunger a lot, but I work a part time 3rd shift job which doesn't help! I always make sure to keep things handy for my late night cravings! I snack on some string cheese, or a few pieces of turkey pepperoni. If I'm craving something sweet, I'll have an apple. For a late night chocolate fix, I'll take 5 or 6 raspberries and 'stuff' each one with a semi sweet chocolate chip.

I love the idea of stuffing a chocolate chip into a raspberry. I'm going to try it!