Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing weight but no fun to be around.....

So I'm ten months out from my realize band surgery and I have lost around 130 lbs so far. I've been having some problems with irritability and it seems like every one is in on it but me. It feels like I can't really control my mood and sometimes go flying off the rails. Anyone else experiencing something similar to this? Is it hormones? Any advice would be appreciated....

I can irrationally irritable if I don't eat on time. Much more so than pre-band. I wonder if this is a blood-sugar thing, because once I eat, I'm fine. But I need to be very careful about not letting too many hours go by without eating.

I have found the complete opposite!!!

The more weight I lost, the more self confident and happy I became...I honestly feel I started to make more friends, and noticed that people wanted to be around me more.....

The more I realized this the better my self image became...and became even more extroverted than before if that is even possible.

I'll now strike up conversations with strangers....it's contagious.

When I was fat I must have been miserable...

But thanks to the band, it has changed my life in ore ways than returning to a normal weight and body build.

No, can't say that I have had the same problem, like b-52, I felt more energetic and happy losing weight. Maybe you need to take some Vitamins or something. Are you exercising? You sounds like you need an outlet for your irritability. Best wishes.

My mood is complete happiness.. I am more energetic.. can deal with stressful situations easier.. sounds like you may have either a bloodsugar issue or high blood pressure.. check with your Primary Care Dr. and see if they can figure it out.. My Band was the best gift I gave myself...

Hormone levels are really affected by weight loss as estrogen is released in to the system. I have felt hormonal mood swings since surgery and weight loss. I only have one ovary which hasn't worked in yrs (pcos) but since losing weight has started working again. Giving me pms..

Sent from my GT-S5830 using LapBandTalk

here is what i feel/think:

congrats on your surgery and weight loss. it is fantastic..

i read this somewhere, if you choose to be happy, you will...hang in there....we all have been there.

I just thought ...vitamin B12 deficiency can cause irratic moods in men and women. I have an injection of it every month. My previous mood swings were pretty colourful and severe... Just a thought

If I were in your situation, I'd be getting full blood work up to make sure everything is ok.

Yep - I agree. If there is a chemical change causing the mood swings, all the self control in the world isn't going to stop or fix it. If these swings are something you've never dealt with before, then something new is definitely going on. I agree with Mis.....get a complete blood workup. And if nothing shows up, you might consider an appointment with a therapist. Possibly, there are a lot of feelings coming through, now that you're not stuffing them down with food. Years ago, a shrink told me, if you want to know why you compulsively eat, drink, do drugs....any of it, stop doing it. When we're not self medicating with whatever the substance, a lot of emotional issues bubble to the surface.

Good luck.....I hope you find the answer sooner than later.

Hormone levels are really affected by weight loss as estrogen is released in to the system. I have felt hormonal mood swings since surgery and weight loss. I only have one ovary which hasn't worked in yrs (pcos) but since losing weight has started working again. Giving me pms..

My WLS told me this could occur and to be prepared for it if it does. I'm not sure how or if it would affect men. I mean, they do produce estrogen like women, just not as much. But I would agree with Mis73, you should make your doctor aware, and ask for a full work up. Best wishes :)

Congratulations on the 130 pounds lost! Be very proud of that accomplishment. Since I am only reading what you wrote and don't know you, you have already gotten some good suggestions. I would also add that sometimes losing weight brings up issues that may have been covered up in the pastby turning to food. I have a very strong emotional component to my weight issues. Is that a possibility? Just throwing that out there for you.

So I'm ten months out from my realize band surgery and I have lost around 130 lbs so far. I've been having some problems with irritability and it seems like every one is in on it but me. It feels like I can't really control my mood and sometimes go flying off the rails. Anyone else experiencing something similar to this? Is it hormones? Any advice would be appreciated....

I think it may be a female estrogen thing. Lots if us have experienced shorter tempers. I thought mine was menopause related. But not sure. Better now

Hope in his case its not the female thing! HAHA!Best wishes to him tho'!