Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

Hi All;

I'm checkin' in with everyone. I was banded 6/19, and I haven't had a fill yet. I've lost 18lb, post op, although I am able to eat anything. I've been a little frustrated lately, because my weight loss seems to be the result of dieting. I know the band is a tool, but I am working on will power here. I hope there is more restriction with my first fill.

Any advice/war stories about how to approach food after my first fill?

I went to sleep last night and you all reported such great things!!! Glad to see everyone is doing well. I lost 2 lbs this week. I think it was the water!!!!!!!!! I got all my Water in 2 days in a row.

My advice after a first fill is its a new world. Foods that you could eat before the fill might not work after the fill. Go very easy and chew, chew, chew. I would even chew Soup. I know you think that is an exaggeration, but potato soup is what caused my PB and slime session.

Also, fills sneak up on you. You might not feel restriction for days after a fill then whamo it takes. Go very slow, have liquids the day of a fill and for a few days after. Each doctor is different, but it can't hurt to give your stomach a chance to adapt to the new restriction. One of the things I'm starting to learn is that the pouch doesn't change sizes so much as the opening to the rest of the stomach. That is where the real restriction is coming from. I read one say that their doctor says her opening is the size of a nickel. Think about that. That should scare you away from anything bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think this all will take a turn when we get good restriction. Until then we have to use lots and lots of self control. After we get restriction we still have to make good choices.

I say all of this for myself as much as to our group. I have to continue to make good choices. I'm a project manager by trade, so I plan everything. My DH and I plan what I'm going to eat for lunch and he gets it ready. Same for dinner. It is certainly great having such a supportive partner. I can't imagine if I had to cook for a family and then eat something different.

Today is a new day. We can do this. (do you think in my secret life I wanted to be a cheerleader?) Love you guys. You keep me sane!!!!

Is everyone just eating 4 ounces of food or way more than they are suppose to. I have been reading post about stretched pouches. They said to test your pouch to do some test with cottage cheese, i hate that stuff. I dont think that mine is stretched but how would you know. My doc doesnt do fills under flouro. Just curious. I know i eat more than 4 ounces of food.

I try to limit my intake to 3-4 oz of Protein - meat. Then no more than 1/2 cup of vegetable, and a couple of bites of carbs. I think we are only be able to eat 1/2 cup to a cup of food at a time. I also watch calories and don't usually exceed 1100 and most days around 950.

I think stretched pouches are because people are eating too much at one time and the food is sitting in the pouch. Don't know for sure, but just my opinion.

My Dr.'s guidelines say to stay under 1cup - which is 8 Fluid ounces, per meal.

What the Inamed booklet says:

"...pouch that can hold only about half a cup (3 to 4 ounces) if food. If you routinely eat too much, the small stomach pouch may stretch. That will cancel the effect of the operation... You need to learn how much your stomach pouch can hold comfortably and then not exceed this amount...Once your stomach is full, your body receives a signal that you have eaten enough. It takes time, though, for you to become aware of this signal. If you rush through your meal, you may eat more than you need. This can lead to nausea and vomiting. Take time to eat your meal. Try to recognize the feeling of fulness - then stop eating at once."

So if you have restriction, and you over-fill your pouch, you may stretch it, if you eat too much too quickly. The key is to eat very slowly, so you have a chance to feel that signal - and stop as soon as you feel full. My Dr. recommends you take half an hour to eat your meal, that's a long time for under a cup!

However, if you do not have restriction, and food is just moving from the pouch to the lower part of the stomach, you can eat a lot more without stretching your pouch.

Also keep in mind that only solid food will stay in the pouch, the softer, the mushier, the more liquid the food is, the faster it will empty out meaning you can eat more. Also if you drink with food it will wash it through too.

Some Dr.'s, believe carbonated beverages should be avoided, some believe it is because the carbonation causes excess gas, which bandsters are prone to anyways, and some believe it may stretch the pouch.

Bottom line, eat as solid foods as you can handle, measure out less than a cup for each meal on your plate, no fluids with meals, eat super slowly chewing really well, When it's done, make sure that from the time you've started eating that you wait at least half an hour before having a second helping and only if you still feel hungry. If you follow those guidelines you shouldn't be able to stretch your pouch.

HI Everyone-

I had my first fill the other day what an experience that was. I was asking the PA how it works and she tells me you can feel the port through the stomach and then they just stick the needle in and it is done. Wouldn't you know, I lay down and the PA can't find. Not only can't she find it but she continues to tell me how lumpy my stomach is. Not once but quite a few times. At this point I was just laughing. SHe was telling me that this has never happened to her and my stomach is very lumpy. I wanted to tell her enough already, I get the point. The doctor came in and was able to find it in a few seconds and it was done. I don't feel any restriction so I am going to call and go back for another fill.

Keep up the good work everyone. :huggie:

Hello June Bandster.

July Bandster here.

I was banded july 5th and now that i'm starting to slowly move on to eating more regular food i'm starting to worry if i can really do this. Its hard keeping away from the fast food. Its hard not eating everything on you plate when it tastes so good.

All this kind of just jumped up and suddenly i realized i am an emotional eater and an overeater and all of the above.

Its like suddenly realizing you do have a problem and you did need help.

Now that i have the help all i want to do is run back to all the food i used to eat.

Since you were all banded last month, did you go thru this phase and did it pass?

How was it after your first fill? Anything scarey?

Anything you can tell me will be great.

Amus don't be so quick to get another fill. Wait at least a week before you get another one. Sometimes they kick in when you least expect them to.

July5forme,

It is quite natural. Take a deep breath. You are working with no restriction now so its all will power. Just because you had surgery doesn't mean all the old demons were taken away. However, just because you had surgery be careful and keep them under control. You can do more damage during this phase because nothing is stopping you once the swelling goes down. We've all been there. Go back and read some of our posts.

First fills are tricky. Some of us are on our 2nds and 3rds, and some had to have a little unfill and start again. Everyone is different and reacts differently to what is going on. I'm too scared to stray too far. I know the fear will go away so I'm hoping to find my sweet spot with fills soon so I won't be tempted.

Keeping busy doing other things helps. The world doesn't revolve around our surgeries and our food intake. Find some other interests and let this take a back seat. However, plan what you are going to eat so you don't look for last minute choices and fast food.

That's my advice for the day. Hope everyone is doing well. I met my Water challenge for the day. WhoHoo for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JULY5FORME,

try eating on a smaller plate. 3-4 ozs of food on a dinner plate looks like nothing. but 3-4 ozs of food on a salad plate looks like you are having a big meal. it is a mind game, but it helps me. now that you know that you are an emotioner eater, you have fight it. before you put something in your mouth, you have to ask yourself, "how am i feeling?" am i sad, mad, happy, etc. and if you answer yourself yes then you know you are gettting ready to eat for the wrong reason and put the spoon, fork, or whatever it is down and go do something else. if you have true physiological hunger, then eat. i used to be an emotional eater and a binge/purger so i know how difficult it is to retrain yourself and to really get in touch with your feelings and not allow yourself to pacify yourself with food when there is really an emotion that needs to be dealt with. but, it can be done.

Aimee:

Try replacing the m&m's with a lo-cal snack--something easy to grab.

whoo hoo! One M&M today! Count it, one!

Im headed home now to ride my bike and drink more Water and find something I can take for a headache (chocolate withdrawal?) Thank you to everyone :huggie:

Water challenge is over at midnight tonight. I'll review your posts and let you know tomorrow how we did. Thanks for getting involved. I don't know if it was the Water or increased Vitamins, but I have the energy to exercise again. Barb thinks water may have helped her lose 2 pounds this week. Any other testimonials--be truthful--if you feel like you're floating--let us know that too!

Aimee: So happy for you. Proud for you. Amazing control over a powerful pull.

Now for the bad news--my fill just isn't cutting it. I've been hungry and having small Snacks every few hours. Hate to admit it--it's fill time.