Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

Pinky, It is my goal to go back to personal training.:rolleyes I would also like to get my nutritionist certification.:) I would even love to counsel banding patients. BUT, I will wait for all of that until I get to my goal. I am still learning so much and I am still so new, as we all are. I thought I did my homework. I am one of those people that research things day and night before I make a decision but some things are unique to each of us and therefore we must learn on our own.:phanvan

To all Junebies: Thanks again for your continued support! JUNEBIES ROCK!! I am almost 1/2 way there! Yeeaahhh!!!:clap2:

Morning all,

Thanks to all of you for the support. Hubby is really trying, yesterday he did things like clean the garage, which has been horrible for 2 yrs now, did the dishes, laundry and cooked me a steak dinner. (BTW, it was my first time eating steak and it was delicious), this morning he left me a voicemail at work and sang "You are so Beautiful to me". I want so much to believe him, but he always does so good at first then slips back into his MAN mode after a week or so. I am trying really hard to stand FIRM that words aren't going to get it this time and I am going to have to see that his actions continue before I trust him. IT IS SO HARD!!!!! I want sooo much to believe him. On another note, I was down 2lbs this morning, down to 183!!!! Thats a whopping 72lbs loss so far. I can't hardly believe it!!!!!!! I LOVE this band!!!!!!

OK this is a big day for me. I went to my closet and pulled out a pair of slacks that are a size 20. I couldn't get into them a few weeks ago. Today, they went on without a problem. In fact, a little big in the leg area and just right in the waist. This is a biggee to me as this is the last Women's size. Next will come regulars. I know that this is just one style and the next size 20 might not fit. But these did. I feel success!!!!!!!!

Still have that feeling in my throat. Its not really in my throat and I think its acid reflux without the pain. I'm tempted to take my Aciphex and see if it goes away. I'm afraid to get another fill as this was how I felt when I was overfilled. I'm having no problems and seem to be able to eat anything. If I continue to lose I'll just relax, but the minute I stop I'm off for a fill.

Yesterday my DH taped the Oprah show for me. She has this Doctor come on and explain everyday things. Yesterday it was about poop and the stomach and gas and burbs and digestion and heartburn. It was so very interesting and explains why we go through some of the things we do being banded. It put everything in such a good context with clear explanations. I wish everyone that was banded could have seen it. It took some of the mystery out of the side effects we experience.

Hope everyone is doing well today. I love this time of year. In Houston there is just the slightest hint of fall. Only going to be in the low 80's today! Enjoy the day. :)

Hello Junebies,

I've not posted in a long time. But I have continued to read and keep up. I had my 3rd fill last week on Oct. 3. I'm down about 30 lbs. NOt real fast, but according to some charts, it's about average. I do have the VG band and it's my understanding that it can take a bit longer to reach restriction with it.

On the up side, I have not had any eating related problems. NO PB, slime, golf balls, heartburn, etc. So, if it takes me a little longer and no pain I'm happy.

Everyone take care and keep your eye on the goal.

Terry :)

Terry its good to hear from you. Glad it is going well for you. Your fills must be right on target for no bad effects. That's great. Over fills have been the only times I 've had problems. Slow and steady are good things. I tell myself that every day. :)

Yeahhhh, Barbara, Terry and Regina.:clap2: It sounds like we are all on track. Just when I thought I could get food down in the evening I pb'd last night.:) Oh well, I was probably eating too fast. My hubby has been great, too. He told me if I lost enough weight I could be "world class" last night.:) "World class" I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean???:phanvan But he said it in a positive way so it's a start.:D He never says your beautiful or anything in the last 7 years i've known him.:mad:

Well Laura YOU ARE BEATIFUL!!!! We all are, even if those MEN don't appreciate us enough! You guys have been my life line, even when I just read and don't post. I think every one of you are beautiful inside and out!!!!

:) I was banded on June 1 by Dr. Sergio Verboonan in Tijuana, Mexico. Had 2 cc put into a 10 cc French midband. Lost 33 pounds thru first of August and then plateaued.

Mid-Sept. 2006 Did not go back to Mexico for a fill but went to Dr. Wagih Mando in New Orleans (Kenner). He DOES NOT use a fluoroscope--just fills for the port and punches the needle through...no local either...but it was close and cheap...only $180. Hurt like *&^$, though!

He unfilled and then refilled to 3. No change. I could really eat anything I wanted and I tried it all. :hungry: WEight fluctuated 3 to five pounds up and down. I was a bad girl! :cry

Went back October 9 for another fill. He wanted to do 4 total but I begged for 5. MIstake! Slimed the four hours home and until 1 AM. AM still sick this morning. Did keep 1/4 cup of warm chicken broth down with no sliming. Think I will be OK if I stick to da' rulz!

Will go back to Mexico and Dr. SErgio for next fill. Loved him and his staff. Want the fluoro, too, to make sure stuff is in place.

LOL to you all!

I know it's been debated, but I think the fluro fills have been a help for me. I really think thats why I have no eating related problems. Or at least my surgeon knows what he's looking at when he does the fills under fluro. Just MHO!

I have not felt any pain either, just a little sting with the fills. I have to admit though, even with 3 fills I still am a little freaked out at the thought of being a human shishkebob. I mean that needle looks HUGE! I can't make myself watch him stick it in my gut! lol I've tried and I always have to look away. Any one else experience this?

Terry :)

If I have ever questioned why I got this frustrating band, a doctor made it clear yesterday. I have these "lumps" on my lower legs(just a few) that have come and gone for years. They can be painful to the touch. My former pcp said that they were 'stress' bumps and that everybody's body reacts differently to stress and this was my way.

My new pcp referred me to a dermatologist to find out for sure. He looked at my legs, asked me a few questions and then told me to listen carefully.

My lumps are blood clots where the blood pools because my veins are losing the ability to move the blood around properly. He said that if I don't get the weight off and start wearing compression socks immediately whenever I'm walking around, I will not be walking unaided by the time I turn 60.

What a wake up call. I thought of my very active parents who are 62 and really got scared. I'm 37 now and the thought of wearing compression socks for the rest of my life is daunting but as for the weight thing, I've got a good head start.

This kind of puts the whole weight loss thing in a new perspective.

Yup, health issues, especially that one, is a big reason to get the band! We all want to look good but it's way more important to be in good health and nobody that is overweight is healthy. Even if there are no signs of bad health if we stay overweight it will eventually catch up to us.

Yea Tricia --

You have an excellent head start. The number one reason I got the band was to perserve my health. I am one of the "lucky" ones. I didn't have an co-morbid diagnosis prior to my surgery, other than being obese. I knew it was time to take control of my weight and stop it from controlling me.

Regina there is a really good christian book that you and your husband may want to read (together preferably). I can't remember the authors name (I can get it for you when I'm home). It's call "The Five Love Languages". It is truely eye opening. In essence, we communicate love to our significant other in the ways that we want our significant other to communicate love to us. And our languages for this love communication is completely different. Again, it's very eye opening and I highly recommend it to anyone that needs to improve their relationship or make a great relationship even better.

Melissa Lea

Can I clarify on the October challenge? Calories are 1200 or LESS? If so, I made it every day. I was trying to get 1200 and several days last week I fell short due to being tight.

I'm not married, but in my last relationship someone recommended the book "Creative Counterpart". It is a Christian-based book and I found it helpful.

Sounds like everyone is doing much better band-wise than a few weeks ago! I can't believe you are 150 Laura! That's my goal weight! I wish....

I have read the book the 5 love languages, it is VERY good! However I couldn't get him to participate in the reading of it, or take the test with me to figure out what our language is. I know what mine is but he didn't care to know. MEN!!!!!!ARGH!