Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

On Sparkspeople today:

The table below converts these percentages into grams needed each day based on calorie intake.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 border=1><TBODY><TR><TH class=black10 scope=col><CENTER>Nutrient</CENTER></TH><TH class=black10 scope=col><CENTER>Healthy Range</CENTER></TH><TH class=black10 scope=col><CENTER>grams/day

1200 Calories</CENTER>

</TH><TH class=black10 scope=col><CENTER>grams/day

1500 Calories</CENTER>

1800 Calories</CENTER>

2100 Calories</CENTER>

2400 Calories</CENTER>

</TH></TR><TR><TD class=black10 scope=row><CENTER>Protein</CENTER></TD><TD class=black10><CENTER>10-35%</CENTER></TD><TD class=black10><CENTER>30-105</CENTER></TD><TD class=black10><CENTER>38-131</CENTER></TD><TD class=black10><CENTER>45-158</CENTER></TD><TD class=black10><CENTER>53-184</CENTER></TD><TD class=black10><CENTER>60-210</CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD class=black10 scope=row><CENTER>Carbohydrate</CENTER></TD><TD class=black10><CENTER>45-65%</CENTER></TD><TD class=black10><CENTER>135-195</CENTER></TD><TD class=black10><CENTER>169-244</CENTER></TD><TD class=black10><CENTER>203-293</CENTER></TD><TD class=black10><CENTER>236-341</CENTER></TD><TD class=black10><CENTER>270-390</CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD class=black10 scope=row><CENTER>Fat</CENTER></TD><TD class=black10><CENTER>20-35%</CENTER></TD><TD class=black10><CENTER>27-47</CENTER></TD><TD class=black10><CENTER>33-58</CENTER></TD><TD class=black10><CENTER>40-70</CENTER></TD><TD class=black10><CENTER>47-82</CENTER></TD><TD class=black10><CENTER>53-93</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Monitor yourself in these ways:

• Eat a healthy, nutrient-packed diet.
  • Watch your calories daily and try to keep them in the desired range.
  • Check your Protein, carbohydrate, and fat based on your calorie intake. The number of grams may be higher or lower than your SparkPeople diet plan. However, as long as they fall in the healthy range listed on this chart below, you will be meeting your needs.
  • Choose lean meats and plant-based Proteins over fattier cuts of meat.
  • Choose whole grain carbohydrates like brown rice, whole wheat bread and Pasta, oats, and avoid refined carbohydrates like white rice and bread.
  • Choose heart-healthy fats (olive and canola oils, nuts) and avoid hydrogenated oils in processed foods.

Based on this I may need to up my Protein some to get to the higher range for 1200 calories.

Going for my fill today so back to liquids. I hope this one goes well and I can start losing again.

Good morning everyone!

Well, I do believe that my fill from last week has finally kicked in this morning. I was thinking yesterday that I didn't feel much change in my restriction level. Well, this morning I had my first PB (post fills). It wasn't bad but enough to get my attention. I'm now eating my kashi bar (like a granola bar) very slowly. I'm feeling the restriction. I'm so very excited!!! I hope the restricition is here to stay awhile.

Barb12, that's a cool chart that you found. That's very helpful for those counting calories. I guess I'm just one of the people that refuse to count calories anymore. That's part of my lifestyle change. I've done that for decades and it never seemed to work for me. Hummmm, we will see how it all plays out.

Melissa Lea

Carol and Socalgal and anyone else

I'm sorry if I offended you. You are correct--we need a safe place to vent.

My own DD (who is 30) is wanting a band. My response to her is less than enthusiastic. My DS and BIL are also getting an earful of the difficulties of the band while they contemplate.

In the meantime, they see me slowly getting thinner and more active. If I had it all to do over I would have tried to stay anonymous.

Hey all,

I can't believe it's been two months since I posted, but I have been reading the posts on this board (since they get dumped on a dailiy basis to my email).

I feel bad for many who have been having problems - but you aren't alone. Since my first fill on August 10th, I have only lost about 7 lbs. I really don't think I got enough. I am scheduled for another fill on October 5th, so I'll let you know how that goes.

My schedule keeps me busy to the point I have FAILED to get my exercise in. The most exercise I get is the hikes through the airports when I travel. In the past two months I have spent a week in Florida, and 10 days in New York. I was elated to see that during my trip to New York (which included a 5 day cruise to Canada) I didn't gain any weight - what a plus!

It also blew me away that before that trip I went out to several stores to get some short pants. Well the bad news was, I couldn't find anything that fit at a regular store (they top out around 42 inch waist) and the Big and Tall Stores start around 46-48 inches. So no new clothes for me. So what could I do? I went home and went through stuff in the back of my closet (the stuff I haven't been able to wear for about 2 years) and I found 3 pairs of jeans, 4 pairs of slacks and about 3 or 4 pairs of shorts...that fit just fine! Woo Hoo!

Since I travel a lot by plane, I have to admit, traveling without using an extention belt is a plus! And with my weight loss, I don't have sleep apnea anymore, so I don't have an extra carry-on (my C-PAP machine), so I travel lighter in more ways than one.

I have to admit that I get better results and drop weight when I make sure I get my Water in, AND my Protein. During my last fill I spoke with the nutritionist and asked about how much Protein I should eat. She said the minimum was 60 grams. So I make sure I eat at least two Protein Bars each day. Each bar is 30 grams, so even if I don't get other protein, I still make that goal. I also make sure I drink at least three 5 oz cans of V-8 juice for 3 of my 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day. I notice that with my Water, protein and V-8 I have more energy than I have in the past year or two, so I think with all this energy I should start implementing exercise. maybe that will break the barrier. I do know from past weight loss programs I have plateaued at around 290, which is why I haven't stressed that I didn't drop any during September, but this is a new month and the scales are moving down again.

I haven't posted in a while. My computer has been rotten.

My most recent good news is that, for my birthday (9-22), my DH surprised me with a little exercise room with a bow flex (with room for more equipment) in the garage! It is awesome to be able to go out there and work out and not really having to get dressed or bring kids with me. Now that I've figured out how to use it, I'm trying to strengh train 2x's a week.

I got another fill on 9/25. I now have 1.9cc's in a 4cc band. One week later and I still have restriction :clap2: .

While catching up on all of the posts, I find myself nodding my head up and down for most things. Particularly about the PBing. My worst habit that I still need to break is eating too fast. I know that I wouldn't PB hardly at all if I would just slow down and think before I eat. My DH says that I eat too fast for fear that our 5 growing boys will eat it all first! He's got a point but I do get my portion first and let them go at the rest!

Congrats Darrin on discovering the treasure in your own closet. I did that recently and it feels great to finally pull that stuff out.

Glad to hear from some of you who haven't posted for a while. This thread used to be so active, but many are posting infrequently. I look here for my support because we are all experiencing this together. It's hard to have a conversation about our issues with non bandsters. ;)

I haven't been eating Protein bars and now wonder if I should add them to my menu. I guess I was thinking I should get my Protein from "real" food, whatever that is. Now I'm thinking I should eat these as part of my smaller multiple meals. I don't care for V8 juice, but I think a nice can of Tomato juice would be good. I'm on liquids the next few days so I'll try that.

Barbara 4--Best of luck to you on fill. I would like a small fill just to keep the process rolling, but until I learn to eat slowly no matter what, it's not a good thing. I'm also having difficulty getting in more meals. Think I'll go back to Snacks and make sure they are healthy.

Also--congrats on an exercise day! Hope you found it easy and energizing.

Not a lapband thing--but DH bought me a Dodge Grand Caravan with all the bells and whistles. I love big cars and hope to start riding my bicycle again now that I have a vehicle to carry it in!

Welcome "newbies" to Junebies. Always a pleasure to read everyone's post. Congrats on new closet "finds" and progress.

Pinkylee- You didn't offend me. I was just having a bad week with frustration and I just wanted to dump without someone trying to fix it. I totally understand that people will offer suggestions and I'm open to it, but sometimes when the scale slows or stops, it feel like people(not you or anyone in particular) assume the person must not be "working the band." There are so many factors in weight loss like medications, health conditions, genetics, etc. Sometimes you do it all right and still no progress. That being said, I have had some scale movement this week. It gets confusing as well because some people say for example that they eat Protein Bars and shakes and other people say their doctors told them never again on Protein Shakes. I'm just trying to do it right, but maybe I'll do what others are saying and stop overanalyzing calories and pounds and just try to relax about it.

You know, I guess I did something I didn't realize. I just started relaxing about it all. I haven't really been obsessing about what to eat, how to eat it, etc. I went on vacation and just "fit in" and tried to be good when possible. I ordered out, I ate in, I snacked. I lost 1 1/2 lbs. I didn't eat very much, but ate when I was hungry. Now somehow I have to make that work at home as well.

I don't think I can work the 4-6 meals in either. I can do during the week a light Breakfast, like Activia. I could probably add a Protein shake mid morning. I already eat a light lunch and have a mid afternoon snack. dinner is harder because I want to eat with my DH. I can't stretch that into 2 eating events. I still want to get my Water in. So I guess I'll just try to stay within my 1200 calories, drink my Water, and exercise. I also feel a little tight still from flying. This may turn out to be an interesting fill.

FYI- I am a closet bandster, so I guess I need to vent here more than others! I'm also single, so those of you with supportive DH's are lucky. I was thinking about the food log and not obsessing, but my trainer wants me doing a food log. Maybe I'll make a deal with her that as long as I lose each week, I don't have to do a log. Hmmm

socalgal3, me too!! I feel I need to vent more, too.:paranoid I'm not single but I may as well be. My husband works in OC and we live in Riverside County (about an hour away). he gets home around 8 or 9 every night.:cry Our marriage is good but sadly it's probably 'cuz we never really see eachother except in bed and weekends when he's not working some more... He tries to be supportive but he works so much I don't want to burden him with my lapband problems so here I am to burden you guys!:faint:

Maybe you should tell your trainer you have the band...'cuz it sounds to me that your food part is under control. She probably wouldn't need you to log your food if she knew that. Many moons ago I was a trainer and I would ask my overweight clients to log their food 'cuz it was usually 50% or more of the problem. For me, exercise has never really been the issue but over eating and having no idea at the end of the day what I put in my mouth was so logging seemed logical but I wouldn't need to now...I am more than aware what I am eating now since I am so limited on when/what I can eat.

Carol and Socalgal and anyone else

I'm sorry if I offended you. You are correct--we need a safe place to vent.

My own DD (who is 30) is wanting a band. My response to her is less than enthusiastic. My DS and BIL are also getting an earful of the difficulties of the band while they contemplate.

In the meantime, they see me slowly getting thinner and more active. If I had it all to do over I would have tried to stay anonymous.

Absolutely no offense taken here either. I welcome suggestions and don't know what I'd do if I had not found this wonderful website. Please continue to offer suggestions and advice on whatever. I also like to vent and I do hate this lapband sometimes, but then I would absolutely die if I had to ever lose it. WHAT A HORRIBLE THOUGHT.

Socalgal: I do have a DH and sometimes I just wish he would stop trying to help me with this, he sometimes trys to dictate what I should or should not be eating or doing..... gets to me sometimes. :angry

well I was all excited about starting the October challenge, but then fate stepped in and not in a good way. Last thursday my dh had the big V, so he couldn't lift anything and was really just resting on the couch with his ice pack. So I had to do everything which included taking out the trash. I had 3 trash bags trying to get it all done at once, and they were blocking my view of the steps. I fell missing all the steps and landing with my ankle cockeyed and my wrist under me. I severely sprained my ankle and broke my wrist. I am out of the exercising loop for at least 2-3 weeks. Why does it seem like these crazy things always happen to me? So I guess I will just have to modify the challenge to suit me. But I have been depressed ever since it happened because I was so looking forward to making a change this month. Ok I am done feeling sorry for myself.

Genn,

Yikes I know that hurt. Hope you get on the mend soon. Just do the rest of the challenge and the exercise added when you can. We are always trying to be so efficient as women. :grouphug:

Went for my fill. Had .3 put in. I was home for about an hour when the fever and chills started. Lasted for several hours and now seems to be over. I am hungry, but full. I feel a little different with this fill so I might have restriction. I hope its right and not setting me up for a PB.

According to their scale I gained 3 lbs. This is such a bummer. I'm not upset, but really. When does the weight loss come and stay gone? I hope I have my sweet spot now because I need to lose some serious weight.