Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

Cutiern!

You go girl!!! Wonderful! Fantastic! Congratulations!

Are any of Dr. Spivak's patients going to the support group at his office?

barbara 123,

i was thinking about going this tuesday to one of the meetings, but remembered i had something else planned. from the website, it seems like it could be very informative. i might go to the one on the 27th.

i have another question for my fellow bandsters...do any of you miss food? i really do. i don't enjoy food anymore. i used to love to eat, but not anymore. i used to love going out to eat, but not anymore. does anyone else feel this way?

cutiern:)

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted in ages. Good to see that I am pretty much in line with everyone else. I have lost 68lbs, but have been 'stuck" for the past 5 weeks. My Doc. won't give me a fill because I still have restriction. Translation, I can't eat a whole sandwich... Anyone else have this problem? I have only had two fills.... The last one was in October. I have called twice in the past month for a fill appt., but have been told to keep eating Protein, drinking Water and exercising... Blah Blah Blah!!!

Another thing,

Does anyone have a problem with people calling you things like, "Skinny"? My boss calls me out all the time, in front of my co-workers, and asks me things like how much have I lost now? How much more do I have to go? When am I going shopping for a bikini?? What Nerve!!! And ALWAYS telling me how "skinny" I am. OK, I am 210 lbs.. Yes I have lost 68 lbs. but I AM NOT BY ANY MEANS SKINNY!!!! I tell her this every time she makes the comments, but it is very uncomfortable being put on the spot like that. Any suggestions? Don't get me wrong, I like that people have noticed, but Come On!!

And Yes, I miss food, too! Going out to lunch is not NEAR as fun! In fact, I hate being asked "Is that ALL your going to eat??" "What is wrong with it?" etc... But, I still love my band! Wouldn't trade it for anything!!

Momma:

I had lost 57 pounds getting down to 233 from 290 with only one fill in October. I had to get totally unfilled on Feb.8th due to what they though was a slippage. Thank God it was not!

I have gained since my unfill, but go for my second fill on Thursday. My surgeon and Nurse NP do not belief in giving fills every month,only when they fell you really need it (they work with you to acomplish this).

Oh, to answer your question about food, yes, I do miss some foods, right now with my unfill unfortunately Iam eating them.

When Iam filled and restricted, I do not eat as much and and do not crave them.

I also do not want to eat out, unless its a diner where I can pick out something healthy. If its a resturant I feel uncomfortable asking for it to be prepared a certain way. I guess that will come in time.

I have come into that very uncomfortable task of being invited to my in-laws ( they know I had the surgery) and they did not have food I could eat there.

I had to bring my own food.

This was Christmas and I spoke to my sister-in-law weeks in advance and asked her if she could have at least one dish that I could eat or I could bring one that myself and maybe others could eat. She told me no need I am preparing everything.

I did bring a small salad with some chicken for myself and sugar-free pudding cup since I had Breakfast and lunch and we were having dinner at 3pm. Needless to say, I was very uncomfortable.

I think that family who know that you had surgery,should be more understanding when you ask about making a special dish, or bringing your own food.

Good Luck in your journey, your doing so great-- Keep up the great work and welcome back to the board!

Lisa

Survived the weekend. Had a great time. We drank too much and ate, but the shopping and friendship was terrific. I got some really nice outfits and was so surprised and happy at the smaller sizes I could fit into. I still find myself looking at the larger sizes. Pinkylee got some really nice stuff, including a mauve jacket to die for. I get it when she outgrows it! :)

I go for a fill at 3. I am really apprehensive about this fill. The doctor has changed his rules and now gives them at his office. I've heard if after 3 days you run into problems he does a complete unfill. I don't want that. I hope to have a talk with him so we'll see.

Weather was really ugly this morning with big thunderstorms. I decided to work from home and not get out in the weather.

Sounds like most of us are doing well and good to hear from some of you who don't post very often. Its great to read your progress and to know you aren't alone in this journey.

Congrats to Aimee an CutieRN. You inspire me.

Barbara4 and I were discussing some "positives" of plateauing and struggles we all seem to be going thru. We are learning how to cope with our new life. I want to "fast forward" to goal, but my body is not cooperating. It's time to learn how to continue a healthy bandster lifestyle without the "high" of big weight loss numbers.

I am aware of the ho-hum attitude I have towards food. I am disappointed that I have to concentrate more on chewing than tasting, but I'd still choose the band and my current loss over any taste sensation I've lost.

Mommatrammell mind me asking you to share how that makes you feel? I used to almost cry. Frustrated and glimmers of acceptance are how I feel now.

Pinkylee-

I, too, will take my new way of life over the old, any day. It is a bit depressing at times, not enjoying the "moment", but I try to focus on the other things more. I enjoy the company of the people I am with and focus on the companionship rather than the instant self gratification that the food once gave me. It is a strange new world, isn't it? There are times, though, that I am left unsatisfied after meals, but it quickly passes. I think my major issues are those that I spoke of before, things that certain people say to me and the way that others react to me...

Lisa-

I know what you mean! I don't like to draw attn. to my eating habits. Sometimes I will ask to order off of the kids menu, depending on the circumstances. Most times, it is such a hassel to explain everything to the waiter... I'd just rather order 'light" then get a take home bag.

I guess I am experiencing the opposite of some of you regarding food. I am enjoying my meals/food more now than ever. I think in part because I am forced to slow down and can enjoy and savor the flavor. I have been expriementing with more seasonings making sure everything I cook or order has great flavor. I do not feel deprived. When eating out I'm am trying foods I would never consider in the past (most are helathier options). I still sometimes find my thoughts "obsessing" over food at times but I do not give in to he urge (99% of the time) --ice cream is still a weakness but I have to crave it 3 or more days before I go buy a scoop (1 scoop).

Glad to hear that Barbara and Pinky had a great weekend trip with friends.

Congrats Aimee and CutieRN.

I wish someone would call me skinny... better yet I wish they would call me that and mean it. :love:

Went for a fill today. They put in .6 cc. I am kinda scared right now, since they took out .4 last time. Have been very sore today, but liquids go down fine.

I have officially stayed the same weight.... well down one pound. They said that it is an accomplishment not to have gained, but I don't buy that.

I am now armed with a good fill, lots of Vitamins, and some resolve to lose SOMETHING before the one year mark. I hope I can.

Glad to see everyone is doing well. Have a great evening.

mommatrammel- I too am a little irritated by people's comments lately. Not that I don't enjoy compliments, but I question whether some comments are compliments or not. I agree with you because I am 190 pounds and still overweight on all charts. A co-worker told me today I better not lose anymore weight or I wouldn't be here. I posted earlier about a friend who said I was "wasting away". Another co-worker told me not to lose it too fast and another said she hardly recognized me. I guess I still feel like the fat girl and I still see her in the mirror. It is an experience I'll just have to learn to deal with I guess.

On a side note, I always read in these forums how people stop enjoying the foods they once loved and I was waiting for that to happen to me. It happened this weekend! I went out to Roadhouse with a friend and we ordered "Spicy Lassos"(kinda like the Outback Bloomin Onion). They were SO GREASY we sent them back. Them I ordered a drink and it was so sticky sweet I thought I was drinking a lollipop, so I didn't drink it. Then I ordered a steak and ate a few bites and some mashed potatoes. I was so excited to go out to eat and had given myself permission ahead of time to eat whatever I wanted. But, it just didn't give me the same high it used to and it just wasn't satisfying. I am back on my MediFast today and did good.

Lastly, I gave away a bunch of clothes today to charity. Some of my clothes are making me look "frumpy". They just don't fit right. I decided to budget a small amount for a few outfits at the end of the month. I tried on some old clothes and they did fit, but some of them were sadly out of fashion!

Here's to a GREAT week Junebees!

Had my fill yesterday. I got .2 so we'll see how this does. It will be a few days until I know. A little hungry just having liquids. I'll have liquids most of tomorrow and maybe a little mushie for dinner.

I don't like the new policies of my doctor. I now have to go to his office without about 30 other patients of his. We must bring our own bottle of Water to drink. If we don't return within 3 days of being overfilled, we will be sent to surgicenter for a complete unfill and a barium swallow.

That really upsets me because it has taken me about 9 fills to get to 1.9 with omnipaque. Can you imagine if I have to have an unfill and get filled at .2 or .3 each time. It will be a year before I'm back. So wish me luck and I'll do my best to hold this fill.

That really sucks about your fill policy Barbara. I wonder why he changed his policy. Hummmm. Well, I think you will do just fine on .2 cc. You said that you have been pretty open recently.

Keep us up to date.

Well, need to get back to cleaning for the movers. I've been throwing so much crap out. It's amazing how we accumulate things. I'm also trying to clean the closet out some as well. Trying to get out the oversized clothes.

Melissa

Socialgal-How did you feel about your dinner experience? Was it a let down, or a relief? Or maybe BOTH. I think that now that I have accecpted that food just isn't all that is was cracked up to be, I feel just as happy sipping on a glass of tea through dinner or lunch than I do eating... The answer to the big question of "where do you want to go to eat" has now become a definate "I don't care" and I really don't!! As long as I can have a bite or two off of the plate of who I am dining with, and a glass of tea, I am good! Ugh on the grease. I will never - ever eat anything fried again!! Can't do it. I will PB every time!

I, too went shopping yesterday. I bought a pair of size 16 capris from OLD NAVY!!! :dance: NOT Catherines, but Old Navy!!! In fact, I can't even find anything from Catherines that doesn't look "frumpy" anymore! Funny how before, I wanted all my clothes to be as big and loose as possible, now if they are too big, they look awful! I still can't get away from black or navy, but at least I can wear shirts that FIT and are a bit form fitting! It feels so good! I just can't wait to loose another 10 to 20 and do a little more shopping! How fun is it to go in to a dressing room and actually be able to get in to what you are trying on? Isn't it GREAT?!?!?!?!!?

Poodles, I think it was you that said you wish somebody would call you skinny- Don't get me wrong, I love that my weight loss has been noticed, but to be called that by a woman that IS skinny, but swears she is HUGE, she probabley weighs 115 on a BAD day-And EVERY time she walks by me, it's "Hi Skinny" and every time I have to tell her, "No, Not YET, maybe one day, but NOT YET" I keep hoping she will get the picture, but she doesn't. And no, people, a 210 lb woman is NOT going to blow away... What is it with them? :) Do they tell the average size women that they are going to blow away? No. Dont think so! Guess they just don't understand....

Barbara, I don't understand how they tell if you need to have an "unfill" or not. (your Doc.s new policy) How much Water do they make you drink and when? Right atfter they fill you? What do they do to determine if they are going to unfill you or not? That does suck! Good luck-keeping my fingers crossed for you! Oh yeah, can you tell me why they thought that your band had slipped? What happens when a band slips? Just curious, guess I never have heard all the gory details!

My godness, I guess I am making up for lost time... It is so nice to talk to you guys, thanks for the nice welcome back! I had forgotten how important the support is! I'll try to keep it shorter in the future!

Good Night for now~

My friend sent this beautiful email to me and I wanted to share with you all:

Subject: True words...

Believe, have a seat, relax and read this slowly. It sums it all up...

I believe - that just because two people argue, it doesn't mean they

don't love each other. And just because they don't argue, it doesn't

mean they do.

I believe - that we don't have to change friends if we understand that

friends change.

I believe - that no matter how good a friend is, they're going to hurt

you every once in a while and you must forgive them for that.

I believe - that true friendship continues to grow, even over the

longest

distance. Same goes for true love.

I believe - that you can do something in an instant that will give you

heartache for life.

I believe - that it's taking me a long time to become the person I

want

to be.

I believe - that you should always leave loved ones with loving words.

It may be the last time you see them.

I believe - that you can keep going long after you think you can't.

I believe - that we are responsible for what we do, no matter how we

feel.

I believe - that either you control your attitude or it controls you.

I believe - that heroes are the people who do what has to be done when

it needs to be done, regardless of the consequences.

I believe - that money is a lousy way of keeping score.

I believe - that my best friend and I can do anything or nothing and

have the best time.

I believe - that sometimes the people you expect to kick you when

you're

down, will be the ones to help you get back up.

I believe - that sometimes when I'm angry I have the right to be

angry,

but that doesn't give me the right to be cruel.

I believe - that maturity has more to do with what types of

experiences

you've had and what you've learned from them and less to do with how

many birthdays you've celebrated.

I believe - that it isn't always enough to be forgiven by others.

Sometimes you have to learn to forgive yourself.

I believe - that no matter how bad your heart is broken the world

doesn't stop for your grief.

I believe - that our background and circumstances may have influenced

who we are, but we are responsible for who we become.

I believe - that you shouldn't be so eager to find out a secret. It

could change your life forever.

I believe - two people can look at the exact same thing and see

something totally different.

I believe - that your life can be changed in a matter of hours by

people

who don't even know you.

I believe - that even when you think you have no more to give, when a

friend cries out to you, you will find the strength to help.

I believe - that credentials on the wall do not make you a decent

human

being.

I believe - that the people you care about most in life are taken from

you too soon.

I believe - that you should send this to all of the people that you

believe in ... I just did.

This really brighted my day, pass it on if touched you also!

Love and Hugs,

Lisa