Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

Barbara,

Thanks for the information....i did try the Beans a day early but this is how my diet is suppose to follow:

Day 1

Clear liquids (32-64 ounces per day)

Day 2

Same as day 1 may add protein...40-70 grams a day...Start chewable vitamins and Metanx and continur clear liquids

Day 3

Add full liquids, V8 juice , thin cream Soups, and yogurt (low fat and no sugar added) Same for Day 4

Day 5-6

Add applesauce, pudding, smoothies and bananas

Day 7

Add oatmeal, well cooked veggies (green beans and carrots), veggie Soup, and legumes(beans) well cooked. (NO GRITS, RICE, Pasta OR PEANUT BUTTER)

Days 8-10

Can continue all items from days 1-7 and can now add soft boiled and scrambles eggs, cottage cheese and canned fruits, and baked potato. ( try adding lo-fat cheese to eggs and potatoes for extra flavor)

Days 11-12

Can now slowly add fresh fruits....Chew well, eat slowly and continue Protein supplement..ALWAYS CHOOSE PROTEIN FIRST!

Days 14-15

SLOWLY add baked fish, tuna ( with no fat mayo), toast or crackers, SMALL amount of rice, pasta, vegtables (except : asparagus, celery and corn) can add whole grain Cereal (granola bars and protein bars)

Days 16-55

All of the above.......and now you should be ready to try baked turkey and chicken and salads.

Day 56

You can now move on to ground beef, then gradually add roast beef, ham and sausage. STEAK should be last !!!

GOLDEN RULES:

Eat until comfortable....NOT FULL. Choose Protein 1st. Eat slowly and chew well. Dont drink 15 minutes before or 1 hour after meals. Liquids will not satisfy hunger. Exercise daily.

GOALS: Protein 50 - 70 grams/day

48-64 oz/fluid per day

I guess everybody's doctor is different.....but i did try fish to early and it was uncomfortable so i am following my diet that the nutritionist gave me. But Barbara I will definitely be careful and listen to my new stomach and how these new foods make me feel.

Thanks so much....Cindy

I think it strange that Spivak and Spiegel both advertise together, etc. I thought their programs would be similar. Spiegel has a big NO to oatmeal, Breakfast drinks. Says they clog the band. ?? He also has me on liquids for 1 week, then thicker liquids. I do have to start Protein Drinks 3/day.

Lots of contradictions. Enjoying my Clear Liquids today. Tomorrow's the day!

Try www.weightlosstickers.com there site puts your starting weight and goal weight on the grid instead of weight to lose. They also have some different tickers to chose from! Click on the bbCode, click on select all, right click on the blue highlighted area and click on copy. Go back to your signature page and paste it there. I do the signature preview to make sure it worked! Good Luck!

Barbara,

This confuses me also. I know we have a lot of different Dr.s represented here, but you would think there would be more consistency with pre-op and post-op diets. I am being banded by Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. I have read his book and he states in there that the liquid diet is so your stomach can rest while it heals. When you eat the Proteins and mushies it makes your stomach contract. I sometimes wonder what real difference it makes with the pre-op 7 day liquid diet. I know they say it shrinks the liver and that there is no "fresh" fat around the liver...but there are people posting on here that haven't dieted at all and their surgery went just fine...Kinda makes me wonder...

Good luck tomorrow. My thoughts and prayers are withh all of us June Bandsters! We have quite a group. Hope we can have a reunion sometime!

here is what my post op diet is supposed to look like:

Your first week

Keep in mind that you now have a new stomach, much smaller than a few days ago, the volume needed to fill your stomach is now 2 oz.

During the first week of the gastric band placement, you will be experiencing not only the adaptation to your new food habits, remember that you will also be recovering from a minimally invasive surgery, symptoms like mild pain and soreness are normal.

The first and second week you will be in a liquid diet, using straw is recommended to avoid big gulps that may cause nausea or discomfort.

During the fist week clear liquids are recommended (water apple and grape juices, tree top, ocean spray and welch's are recommended)

From fourth day on, natural fruit juices (strained and Gelatin can be added if well tolerated)

The largest volume take that your stomach can accept is 2 fl. Oz. At a time, let it rest for 2 hours before serving this quantity again. Have all the clear Water that u can in between "meals". Miscalculations may lead to nausea.

Room temperature during first week is the most recommended, slightly cold gelatin is acceptable.

Take gelatin in small chunks and chew and dissolve.

Take care of wounds: clean daily bath using only water and soap, scrubbing only in the same direction of it, cover with gauze or band aid.

NEVER: keep on eating if you are already satisfied.

Try to eat more that you stomach can handle.

Your second and third week

Keep in mind that you now have a new stomach, much smaller than a couple of weeks ago; the volume needed to fill your stomach is now 2 oz.

It is time to include variety and a few more consistent foods to your diet:

• On your second week continue with clear liquids and gelatin and add:
    • Whole natural fruit juice, use synthetic sugar to sweeten.
    • Pear and apple pure
    • Soups (broth):
      • Potato
      • Tomato
      • Lentil
      • Vegetable
      • Chicken

[*]On your third week add:

• Chopped fruit (very small pieces)
    • Whole Vegetable juices
    • Whole Vegetable juices

At this time you should be able to handle correctly your new stomach capacity. But always remember to let it rest for 2 hours before repeating the serving of more consistent food or the 2 oz. Measure, miscalculation may lead to nausea and stomachache.

Food temperature:

Fruit juices are well tolerated cold (no exaggeration)

Warm Soups.< /p>

The care of your wounds:

As a normal symptom of healing, itching will appear.

Your fourth, fifth and sixth week

Day 1

Breakfast

3 strawberries

Crackers (ritz - oatmeal)

Morning snack

4 - 6 baby carrots

Tea

Lunch

Canned tuna (half a can)

1-2 cup of pea Soup

Afternoon snack

½ cup of lentil soup

½ a cup of chopped fruit

Dinner

½ cup cheerios

½ cup milk

Last day snack

Vegetable soup

DAy 2

breakfast

canned tunna (third of a can)

crackers (ritz-oatmeal)

Morning snack

4-6 baby carrots

lunch

1/2 cup of lentil soup

slice of cheese

afternoon snack

2 oz. of blendend chicken breast

2 spoons of corn

dinner

1/2 cup of chopped fruit top with granola

last day snack

vegetable soup

Day 3

Breakfast

½ cup milk

½ cup of grape fruits or

raisin bran

Morning snack

½ cup of lentil soup

Crackers

Lunch

½ cup of chicken soup

½ cup of blended chicken

Crackers

Afternoon snack

3 - 4 crackers

Canned tuna

Dinner

½ a cup of chopped fruit

1 spoon of yogurt

Last day snack

Carrots

Day 4

breakfast

strained pineapple juice

2 oz. of chopped chicken

crackers

morning snack

canned tuna (half a can)

crackers (ritz-oatmeal)

lunch

1/2 cup of peas

1/2 cup of chopped fruit

afternoon snack

vegetable soup

dinner

2 oz. of chopped chicken breast

last day snack

broccoli soup

Day 5

Breakfast

½ cup of chopped fruit

Morning snack

½ cup of yogurt

1 or 2 oatmeal crackers,

spread some jelly if desire

Lunch

Canned tuna (half a can)

Sliced Tomato

Crackers

Afternoon snack

Chicken soup (Campbell's)

Dinner

2oz. of grilled chicken breast

mushroom cream

Last day snack

Chopped fruit

day 6

breakfast

1/2 cup of grape nuts with milk

morning snack

1/2 cup of chicken fajitas (mixed with onions and vegetables

vegetable soup

lunch

sliced tomoat and cheese-2 oz.

afternoon snack

2 oz. of crabmeat

crackers

dinner

3 strawberries

2 oz. yogurt

last day snack

gelatin

Day 7

Breakfast

½ cup chopped fruit

1 spoon of granola top with honey

Morning snack

Tuna and vegetables with crackers

Lunch

Grilled chicken breast split, pea soup (or choose vegetable)

Afternoon snack

Gelatin

crackers

Dinner

Vegetable soup white rice

Last day snack

Broccoli cream

Remember: Chew, Chew, Chew!

Cold coffee is OK

Use low fat / low calorie yogurt and milk

Carbonated drinks are not recommended

bread, tortilla and banana are nor yet recommended

Never try to eat more than your stomach can handle

Keep in touch with your surgeon and nutritionist:

Every 15 days for 3 months

Every month for the next 3 months

Every 3 months for the next 3 years

Hey Barbara --

Glad to see that you are doing well. My eye sight is slowly returning. I knew about this as one side effect of the anthesthia.

I've also got the gas really bad. I didn't have it until Sunday (yesterday). My shoulder is killing me but I'm walking and moving around. Gas X is no relief for me. So I'm not going to choke down that flavor for no relief.

I ate some soft foods today for lunch. I think I really needed it. My blood sugars felt low and had a terrible headache. Head still hurts a little.

Now working on getting the bowels to work regular.

Talk to you all later,

Melissa lea

Hi everyone,

I know the differences in pre and post op diets are unbelieveable. Today is the first day I have really been hungy. I actually ate everything on my plate for lunch, every other time I have only been able too finish 1/2 at the most. I think my swelling is going down, while that is good it also make me nervous.

Christa94,

Thanks for your post! I printed it! Who is your Dr? and when were you banded? Did you follow this diet and has it worked for you?:clap2:

janelle,

not yet banded. will be on june 30th. but, the doctor's office shared with me what my post op diet should look like. at first it was scary because it is so detailed, but now i can appreciate that. it will take the guesswork out of it for me. hopefully it will work for me. i will keep you all posted.

cindy, 11 lbs in one week is pretty good i think. i have lost 9 lbs. i know my hunger is going to start coming back eventually, so i'm going to cherish this SV.

cutiern:biggrin1:

Cutie.....My hunger has been back since last week.....today I put a whole can of veggie Soup in a blender with extra Water and it was wonderful....added a lil zatarians seasoning ...it was liquid but thicker and i new in my mind that i was having potatoes, peas, carrots .....it actually filled me up for longer than an hour. I may have 3 oz of my red Beans tonight for supper and some smashed up green beans. Did you know that watermelon 1/16 of a slice has 25 grams of sugar...thats 2 cups.....i have been eating that in moderation.

geez, i didn't know it had that much sugar. i never did like watermelon that much. i'm going to go to the grocery store tomorrow and pick up some raspberries and strawberries. i really haven't had any fruit yet. i love pineapple, grapes and oranges, but i think these are no-nos right now.

cutiern

Janelle- Thanks, I think I figured it out. I could not get the tickerfactory to work for me. Sissiweightloss.png[/url][/img]