Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band removal

Last night I spoke with my old roommate who had Lap Band surgery 3 months after I did. I saw her pictures on FB and reached out to let her know she has done a remarkable job and looks amazing. She let me know she removed the lap band a year ago after reaching her goal of 130lbs. She said she had no compications, she just wanted to live a clean healthy life without the band.

I sometimes think about removing my band since my life is so different too. I eat all organic (as much as possible), vegetarian, and now help consult others in losing weight and working out. I am not ashamed of my lap band and on my website, I let everyone know my TRUE story and how I loss the weight but how I also now maintain the weight off without depending on the band.

Anyone here that reach goal ever think about removing the band?

Last night I spoke with my old roommate who had Lap Band surgery 3 months after I did. I saw her pictures on FB and reached out to let her know she has done a remarkable job and looks amazing. She let me know she removed the lap band a year ago after reaching her goal of 130lbs. She said she had no compications, she just wanted to live a clean healthy life without the band.

I sometimes think about removing my band since my life is so different too. I eat all organic (as much as possible), vegetarian, and now help consult others in losing weight and working out. I am not ashamed of my lap band and on my website, I let everyone know my TRUE story and how I loss the weight but how I also now maintain the weight off without depending on the band.

If you are not having complications why remove the band? Does not make any sense to me.

If I want to eat "clean" and eat lots of fibrous type veggies etc, I will just get a small unfill.

I guess if you have a tight band with no saline or slippage, or reflux issues, it would make sense to remove the band, but if you have a "healthy band" removing all or most of the saline will be the same thing as NO BAND AT ALL.

For Me, removing saline in my band is like having no band at all, so if I ever wanted to eat "freely" I will just get saline removed.

I am honest and not cocky, and I KNOW ME, it will be hell to try to maintain my weight without the help of my band, I can actually lose weight on my own, but I've NEVER been able to maintain my weight.

If I run into a issue where I can't exercise from injury, or have a stress event in my life, I know I would put back every pound without the help of my band.

I am almost 8 years post op and it does NOT GET HARD to maintain weight loss until after the 6 year mark, also I found that the lap band screws up the metabolism, and sometimes WE HAVE NO IDEA of how little our portions are until we get a total unflll or have no band at all.

Most surgeons say 95 percent of lap banders will gain all their weight back if they remove the band, I AGREE, I got cocky too after 7 years and thought I could go it "alone" with hardly no saline in my band last year when I had a hernia and I gained back 50 pounds in about 2 months, it was rapid weight gain, and I ate like a "normal person".

Also I like the "safety net" with the band, I can always reboot it and as they say..."filler up" as long as I have a band that can be adjusted, I can sleep at night..LOL. This is one reason I would not revise to any other weight loss surgery, the band can always be adjusted as long as there are no complications.

Good luck with your endeavors!

I don't think I'll ever remove it unless medically necessary. Hubby keeps saying I should eventually... But it makes no sense to me. I'm a BANDit for life! ;)

If it anit broke don't fix it.. I no reason to do any unnessary surgery and this way I know I will remain true to self..each to his own if it menatal makes you fell better not to have it the don't or just work through the shame...

The concept of removing the band is sound. Right? Who wants a foreign object in their body if they don't need it. However, the chances of needing your band for life is more likely.

I am 4 years out and I have to stay in green just to maintain my weight. It is super easy to gain 5 lbs. Although I work diligently on my eating habits and food choices, the reality is, without the band I know I'll regain all my weight back.

I'm not sure if it's time..or the person. For instance, if I maintain for 20 years and feel I can do it on my own..will that be the difference. Who knows..I'll let you know in 20 yrs lol. However, I am certain that if I ever wanted to electively remove the band, I would certainly do a trial run first and remove the Fluid. If I can go a full year without gaining than that's a real consideration.

I would strongly advise a test trial for anyone interested in this route.

Just wondered if anyone else ever thought about removing it. My boyfriend and my moms ask me when am I removing it since I dont need it anymore? I always say I'm keeping my band until I have complications, if ever.

I think it would feel weird to no have my band. Although I have not had a fill in 4 yrs, when I eat to fast or not chew my food properly, I still get the symptoms of stuck. So I burp like crazy. The good thing is that I have learned throughout the years how to prevent it and control it, so I actually have not thrown up in probably over a year. I just burp until the air passes. Thats when my BF asks to just have it removed.

I am in no way ashamed of my band. Without it, I would not have been so dedicated to help others change their lives.

Thanks for the responses. Just curious!

My husband and I have had this conversation before. I have maintained my weight for the past three years. I now only have about 4cc in my band to allow raw veggies to digest properly. I completely agree with doing a trial run first. For me, I have decided to keep my band in. I went through a lot to get my weight to where I am happy with it. I like the comfort of knowing the band is still there if I need it :)

Just wondered if anyone else ever thought about removing it. My boyfriend and my moms ask me when am I removing it since I dont need it anymore? I always say I'm keeping my band until I have complications, if ever.

I think it would feel weird to no have my band. Although I have not had a fill in 4 yrs, when I eat to fast or not chew my food properly, I still get the symptoms of stuck. So I burp like crazy. The good thing is that I have learned throughout the years how to prevent it and control it, so I actually have not thrown up in probably over a year. I just burp until the air passes. Thats when my BF asks to just have it removed.

I am in no way ashamed of my band. Without it, I would not have been so dedicated to help others change their lives.

Thanks for the responses. Just curious!

Well if you still get the experience of "stuck" and burp, whether you believe it or not, YOUR BAND IS STILL HELPING YOU.

I am not sure how tight your band was in the beginning, but it seems like you are already in the "green zone", especially if you are maintaining your weight with no problem, sometimes we don't realize how much the band is helping until we get saline removed..LOL.

I am on my 2nd band, after I lost about 30 pounds my band has loosen again, and I am no longer in the green zone, I've purposely put off my next fill for 2 months because I was on vacation and traveling, but I do intend to get there again with my next fill, next week, and I can't wait.

According to doctors, 85% of those who remove the band gain all their weight back plus extra.

No way I would risk that personally.

You may feel that you have control of your weight now however events in the future can cause you to spin out of control emotionally and if you have a tendency to turn to food for comfort you may end up one of those stats.

It's a very personal choice. Make it for yourself, not your boyfriend or anyone else.

I burp too and food gets stuck but I'd rather that than an extra 45kgs.

Good luck whatever you decide :-)

My PCP shared instances with several of his patients who chose to have their bands removed. One chose to do this for cosmetic reasons (her port was visible when she wore a bikini), the others did for medical reasons. He said all had regained their previously lost weight and then some.

I wanted to give me the best possible scenario to allow me to keep of the weight I have lost. Removing my band for anything but compelling medical reasons is the only way I will have mine removed.

You look GREAT' date=' btw![/quote']

Thank u

When I was in maintenance before my leak, many asked me why I didn't remove my band because obviously I was eating better and was far more active than I ever had been. But the leak taught me one thing, and that is that without the band, I struggle with hunger, and what that does, despite my best efforts, is make me gain weight. 10 months, I gained 35lbs, not from over-eating, but from struggling with eating band sized portions. I still ate very well and was active, but it wasn't enough.

You won't know how you manage until you don't have the band. I agree with Nana, if you really want to see how you'll go, get a complete unfill and see where you are in 12 months. If you're maintaining without it, then get it removed if that's what you really want. That seems like the less risky way forward, to me.

"For Me" I could not see removing the band when and if I ever reach my goal.

I tend to need the band to help me stay on task. Portion Control has always been my weakness and that what the band is very helpful to me in this regard.

My biggest concern is staying away from the so call comfort foods that will slide right down the band such as candy bars, shakes and ice cream, mash potatoes and such. So with the smaller portions it is of vital importance for me to stay satiated as long as possible. With the band it allows me to mostly but not always stay away from my comfort foods.

Having spent 2009 through 2012 with weight going up and down to the point of going from 190 to 250at Christmas even with the band. On the bright side more than likely without the band I would of gained back all of the weight that I had lost and have no doubt that I would be back at 330 plus.

I recommitted myself on January 1 to continue my band journey and hopefully by next March be back under 190.

Having the band removed is not an option "For me."