Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you answer ?

What is your response when someone asks, "so, how much have you lost?l

Me, too......I tell them the answer. I'm proud of it, and it rolls right off my tongue, without hesitation.

Politely I say mind your own 'f' business. That is one thing I will not share. My sons don't ask me and I don't tell anyone except my husband. A family friend asked and when I told my MIL she couldn't believe how rude that person was for asking.

Next week starts the Jewish New Year and I will be seeing people I have not seen in one year, so it will be the same answer, personal info I do not share.

I feel ashamed for letting myself get to 268 pounds is the truth and at this time in my life I can't share pounds lost. Maybe years from now I will tell. Most people I will see at the holidays have no idea I had WLS, another personal thing I don't share.

Politely I say mind your own 'f' business. That is one thing I will not share. My sons don't ask me and I don't tell anyone except my husband. A family friend asked and when I told my MIL she couldn't believe how rude that person was for asking.

Next week starts the Jewish New Year and I will be seeing people I have not seen in one year, so it will be the same answer, personal info I do not share.

I feel ashamed for letting myself get to 268 pounds is the truth and at this time in my life I can't share pounds lost. Maybe years from now I will tell. Most people I will see at the holidays have no idea I had WLS, another personal thing I don't share.

We're going to my BF's house for Rosh Hashana, and I'm sure she mentioned it to a few people who will be there. I'm already anticipating what I will say, if anyone brings it up. At this point, as much as I don't really care what others think, I just don't have the energy explain it. Nor do I care to educate anyone who might have a negative opinion about it. Geez...another glass of wine, please! :unsure:

I share openly. However I don't tell my starting weight unless I trust them or they have walked in my shoes.

I tell them the truth and if they ask how, I tell them the truth about that as well.

I tell the truth.. it keeps me accountable... I tell people that I had WLS to save my life... It may encourage other people to face their obesity and do something to help themselves...

I, also, tell the truth and I start from my pre-lapband losses!

Same here. I usually counter the question with a question. Do you mean in total or since surgery?

I haven't had this happen yet, but anticipate it next week. I'm a teacher and had surgery this summer. I can handle telling co-workers how much I've lost so far if asked (it's noticeable already), but NOT about the surgery. I don't think it would be appropriate to tell students anything, so I'm hoping they won't ask.

This is the first time in my life I've decided to be honest with people when they ask. I tell them, and I'm actually thrilled when they ask! I'm also being honest with my family and my husband about my weight. I've never, ever, ever, ever confided in anybody about my weight (other than my doctors - not even my husband, and I've been married for 31 years), but I've decided that was just me in a state of denial in a way, and that the only way to really face it and deal with it was by them knowing so they can help hold me accountable. It's actually quite liberating! I'm looking forward to the day when I can tell everyone that I've lost 150 pounds! :)

I tell people what weight I lost prior to deciding to have the band. I tell them what I have lost on the pre surgery diet and what I have lost since having had the band. I am proud to say I have lost over 23 kilos or 16 kilos since pre surgery.

I don't really have a blanket response. I'm honest with close friends and most co workers -- people who are there daily, who see what I eat and how hard I hustle at the gym. After a few asinine comments from casual acquaintances or people I just see sporadically, I don't go into details because I feel they're just being nosy or making conversation.. They're not genuinely concerned or interested in my journey. Unfortunately, family wasn't excluded from this either. I've had my band since Nov 2009 and I just told my parents last week. My mom probably weighs somewhere in the 350 - 400lb range, but I knew she would just be critical and not supportive. Due a recent cancer scare and some thyroid issues she's dealing with, I felt she would be more receptive. I asked for her help taking care of me this week post-arm lift and breast lift, and we've had some great convos about it! She's still not 100% on board with it, but at least she's asking questions about it.

Sorry this was so lengthy! In summary: for me it depends on the audience.