Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

describe: STUCK EPISODE

I am just trying to prepare myself:

Can anyone describe a "STUCK" episode?

What do you do when you get "STUCK"?

How do you deal with a "STUCK" episode when out in public?

Are there any known foods that cause these episode's for all bandsters?

While I haven't had one in public since banding, I had incidents prior due to an unrelated medical condition. Best bet is to try and excuse yourself to make an exit to the restroom. I wouldn't suggest trying to drink Water or other liquids while at the table. (Big mistake on my part) For me it starts with hiccups and a tightness feeling in my throat and the thick slime starting to build and slowing pushing up. As far as foods, for me it is not the type of food, but eating too fast or too much. But some really dry meats cause me some issues.

Powdered eggs and white chicken meat are the worst for me, I absolutely cannot force the eggs down, no matter how slowly I chew and swallow. Chicken is usually only a problem if I take too large a bite or don't chew enough. The eggs have only ever been in public, as part of restaurant buffet lines in hotels.

So, the first feeling is tightness, like you swallowed an ice cube whole. Then, you cannot swallow your spit. What happens with me is an involuntary swallowing action and panic because I know nothing is going to go down. At that point, if I can get up and walk around a little, sometimes that helps. If not, I sometimes have to get into a bathroom and hope what was stuck comes up. It isn't like vomiting...but it isn't pretty. Think of a bird regurgitating for a chick...that pretty much nails it for me.

After a stuck episode, I usually am very tight for a day or two. My surgeon recommends going on a liquid or slush diet for 24-48 hours, but I can't always do that. I just am very careful until all is well again.

AZ Gary describes it perfectly. Unfortunately there is no way for us to help you avoid those episodes simply because different foods affect people differently. What goes down easy for me, might be a problem for you and vice versa. But, like triggergramma mentioned - powdered eggs (often found on buffets) and white chicken meat as well as beef that is too dry cause me problems. But even the foods that do go down well will get stuck if you eat too fast or take too big of a bite. You learn quickly though and after each adjustment (fill) things might change, so it's a constant learning experience - but very well worth it.

When I get stuck my saliva starts backing up (sliming) and it's very uncomfortable in my band area. It's not as high up as my throat or all the way down in my stomach. If I am truly stuck the only way to get relief is to bend over and let the food come back up. Honestly, I eat very slowly now and haven't been stuck in over a year.

mine is like what guy described, lots of extra saliva and its not really vomit, just comes back up.. then im fine. only happened 3 times so far and all because I ate too fast. I am learning to slow down.

i will know right away if i am going to have a problem. if i am in public, i hit the restroom and it comes back up. not pleasant. usually it's my own fault for taking too big a bite, but sometimes it's just a certain foods dont agree with me. it's a learning process and each day is different.

For me, I get a distant look in my eyes (hubby ID'd this) with a slight pain in my chest, then I get the feeling of a rock in my sternum, then the slime starts. If I stop eating with the slight pain, I can be OK. If I keep eating until the slime starts...there is no going back. Slime means what went down must come up. If I swallow a couple ounces of Water, that will often trigger it to immediately come back up without wretching.

If you are in a public toilet, put a toilet seat cover in the water, this helps with backsplash when the stuck item hits the bowl. Yes, I've had the splash hit me in the eye. Also watch out for self-flush toilets. My hubby once asked why I'd washed my entire face, including my bangs and removing my make-up.

For me' date=' I get a distant look in my eyes (hubby ID'd this) with a slight pain in my chest, then I get the feeling of a rock in my sternum, then the slime starts. If I stop eating with the slight pain, I can be OK. If I keep eating until the slime starts...there is no going back. Slime means what went down must come up. If I swallow a couple ounces of Water, that will often trigger it to immediately come back up without wretching.

If you are in a public toilet, put a toilet seat cover in the water, this helps with backsplash when the stuck item hits the bowl. Yes, I've had the splash hit me in the eye. Also watch out for self-flush toilets. My hubby once asked why I'd washed my entire face, including my bangs and removing my make-up.[/quote']

Lol sadly I've gotten hit in the eye too! Lol. Now I know a new trick with the toilet seat cover! Thanks

Thank you all; this has been very helpful!

Question:

So when food is stuck and you get the excess saliva (slime) and eventually the food comes back up (PB=Prod.Burp)... is it forceful like vomiting?

Depends on your body. I have not been stuck yet.. But my sister did... She just bent over and the food came out! Nothing like vomiting!

Question:

So when food is stuck and you get the excess saliva (slime) and eventually the food comes back up (PB=Prod.Burp)... is it forceful like vomiting?

Sometimes I can cough and it comes up. Other times I have had to help it along

Question:

Nope, not like vomiting. It is hard to describe...the only time I have ever had it come back up, it was like it had not made it down very far and it just came back up like it had gone down. It is more of a spasm, I guess.