Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Little success after a year

It's been a year since my surgery, and I've lost a total if 25 lbs. Every day is a struggle to watch what I eat. Dr isn't happy with weight loss and would like to do a revision, sleeve or bypass. What's worse is hubby went on calorie counting binge and has lost over 50 lbs. every day I hear how much Fiber, Protein, and calories he has eaten. I gets numerous ?s on what we are having, what is a serving, etc. He's driving me nuts, and all I want to do is crawl in a hole and eat. It's hard when you have no one to help you over the humps.

Don't get discouraged. On the bright side, you haven't GAINED any weight which you probably would have without your band. Now, you probably just need to switch things up. What are you eating? Are you sticking to a specific diet or just trying to 'not eat bad stuff'? It's easy to get conflicting dieting advice. Some people will say do low carb while others will say low fat and then other people will say just eat the same food but less. It can be problematic if you're trying to follow all the advice at once. First of all, you need to have good restriction...NOT TOO MUCH restriction but GOOD restriction. I judge this as being restricted enough that I cannot eat a cheeseburger with the bun. Once you are at that restriction find a diet that works for you. Personally I do well with Atkins, south beach, or mediterranean because it's easier to cut out bread rice and Pasta with the band. Also, follow the band rules like not eating with your meals. If you are just surviving on Cereal and ice cream you are not going to lose weight. Knowing what you are currently eating would definitely help. Anyway, those are just a few tips and I definitely encourage you to keep on trucking! Who knows, getting another surgery may be the way to go but you've already got the lap band so you might as well try to get the most out of it while you can! Good luck!

Have you had any fills during the year?

First of all, congrats on losing 25lbs!! To me, a loss is a loss regardless of how much...and besides, 25lbs is more than a couple of 10lb bags of potatoes that you're no longer lugging around with you everday!

I know it's so easy to get discouraged, and I also struggle with food every single day. Every morning i wake up and I have to 'start new', reminding myself how to eat, and why I did this. It gets annoying, frustrating, but I talk myself through it and most days end up pretty good. Do you record all your food so you know exactly what you're eating? How about fills, are you feeling good restriction? Are you eating only when you're hungry? Do you exercise, if so, how often, and are you getting enough calories so your body isn't hoarding them?

Honestly, while weightloss may come at a faster rate sooner with bypass or sleeve, in the long run you still have to be accountable for what you're eating, or can fail with those as well. You have a great tool in there right now, and since it doesn't sound like you've had complications, I don't think I'd jump to a revision unless you're able to really figure out why you haven't had the success you're looking for with the band.

Good luck to you!

You have all of us!!! Reach out…it really helps me on days when I feel the same way. I am only a couple of months out from surgery but I have been using that myfitnesspal app and it helps me to track my calories Protein etc. I must admit I don't do it all the time like I should. The weekends are the worst for me, I'm great during the week very disciplined but the weekends send me for a loop.

My husband and I did the surgery together, and even though we are together in the struggle it's different for me then for him. He is losing weight faster than I am, and he's not going to the gym like I am every day.

He needs a full hip replacement and mobility for him is tough, so we have issues where I want to be fit and he can' t be doing what I am doing and yet I am still not losing the weight as much as he is, don't be discouraged look up that my fitness pal website and get the jump on your husband!

It's been a year since my surgery, and I've lost a total if 25 lbs. Every day is a struggle to watch what I eat. Dr isn't happy with weight loss and would like to do a revision, sleeve or bypass. What's worse is hubby went on calorie counting binge and has lost over 50 lbs. every day I hear how much fiber, Protein, and calories he has eaten. I gets numerous ?s on what we are having, what is a serving, etc. He's driving me nuts, and all I want to do is crawl in a hole and eat. It's hard when you have no one to help you over the humps.

I call my hubby the "anti carb nazi". He lost 80 lbs a few yrs ago on Atkins so he swears by low carbs. I've never in almost 3 yrs of knowing him seen him eat a pc of fruit. Too many carbs.

Last Feb, I gave Atkins a try (I got banded 4 yrs ago to stop dieting and here I am dieting again). For 4 weeks, I was miserable. Didn't cheat once. He counted my carbs and would remind me of everything I put in my mouth. I told him to mind his own carbs and leave mine alone.

Now I look at his portions and say "You're gunna eat ALL that?"

There's always a flipside!

It's been a year since my surgery, and I've lost a total if 25 lbs. Every day is a struggle to watch what I eat. Dr isn't happy with weight loss and would like to do a revision, sleeve or bypass. What's worse is hubby went on calorie counting binge and has lost over 50 lbs. every day I hear how much fiber, Protein, and calories he has eaten. I gets numerous ?s on what we are having, what is a serving, etc. He's driving me nuts, and all I want to do is crawl in a hole and eat. It's hard when you have no one to help you over the humps.

Hi there Ms. Vicki. I guess my question is: why is it worse that your hubby counts calories and you didn't join him? If it worked for him and the rest of us, don't you think it would work for you too? All you have to do is make up your mind and do it. Good luck. I hope you don't have to change to another surgery. It sounds like you just need to use the tool that you already have to work with and for you. Getting filled will help.

I call my hubby the "anti carb nazi". He lost 80 lbs a few yrs ago on Atkins so he swears by low carbs. I've never in almost 3 yrs of knowing him seen him eat a pc of fruit. Too many carbs.

Last Feb' date=' I gave Atkins a try (I got banded 4 yrs ago to stop dieting and here I am dieting again). For 4 weeks, I was miserable. Didn't cheat once. He counted my carbs and would remind me of everything I put in my mouth. I told him to mind his own carbs and leave mine alone.

Now I look at his portions and say "You're gunna eat ALL that?"

There's always a flipside![/quote']

Sounds like a match made in heaven lol! Well, at least you should try just counting calories and use the my fitness pal app. The Atkins diet is good short term only like 2 weeks. Atkins is also from my own personal experience is fine until you start re-introducing carbs back into your body. It's like 2 Weeks on 2 weeks off and you're not letting your body adjust to normal everyday foods. So just support each other but do it your way. Best of luck to both of you.

I understand. i lost 65 lbs the first 6 months . Then after my first fill last November I have not lost and actually gained almost 10 back. My dr I'd telling me its my fault. I'm not weighing measuring counting chewing. This sucks. I'm so discouraged. im not even motivated to figure out the problem.:-/

I have a friend who was banded three years ago, lost 40 lbs initially then nothing for TWO YEARS but she kept going to her appointments and then she happened to hit the perfect restriction for her and the weight just melted off... After TWO YEARS. She is now at goal and looks fab.

Her advice to me was just trust the process even if you doubt yourself and continue moving forward.

Minimi

Great for her! Although I am conscious of portions, I feel I can eat anything! I guess I haven't reached the point of restriction yet :(