Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mushies help

Ok guys i need some help here. I'm on mushies/liquids now and for the life of me i can't seem to find yummy things to eat. I can get everything down that i try to eat (even a donut :nervous ) and i can't seem to get a good mushies diet. I'm having refried Beans with a bit of cheese, and a potato tuna mash that i made, and baked or mashed potatoe....other then that i'm short of ideas. a little help please....

This is a list I have been collecting from LB groups and forums. Blend these with milk and/or broth. If you can drink it through a straw, it is OK.

Hope they help. Maybe they will inspire your own imagination.

Blended cottage cheese and fruit

Trader Joes oatmeals

Chili – blended during mushie phase

Cream of Wheat

creamy Soups

applesauce

yogurt - Dannon Lite N' Fit

Protein powder for shakes

frozen fruits for Protein Shakes

Small pudding cups (SF/FF) or yogurt

1. refriedbeans toped with cheese

2. cottage cheese & soft low fat cheeses

3. pudding

4. cream of wheat/grits

5. yogurt

6. Jello

7. mashed potatoes

8. scrambled eggs

9. tuna

10.Plain crackers

11. lowfat milk

12. soups(cream or pureed)

SHAKES

• 8 oz soy milk, mini banana, frozen blue berries and a couple tablespoons bran Cereal
  • Choclate Protien mixed with Milk, 3 strawberries, sm banana, some crushed pineapple
  • 2 bananas peeled, broken in half and then frozen
    1 cup frozen strawberries
    1 cup plain yogurt
    2 cups 100% apple juice
    .25 cup wheat germ (optional for additional fibre)
  • mangos and peaches

• SOUPS
    chicken/beef/veggie broths (low sodium as needed)
    soups & broths
    Blend soups
    "Imagine" Soups - in cartons. (Potato Leek, Butternut, Squash, Corn, Creamy Tomato....and more. They are considerably lower in sodium than Campbell’s soups
    Egg Drop Soup - 4 Cups, 160 calories total2 - 14oz cans low sodium chicken broth
    1 - tablespoon rice vinegar
    2 - teaspoons soy sauce
    4 - egg whites

1 - tablespoon *optional* flour for thickener (or even better buy Soup thickener)
    1 - tablespoon *optional* ginger

I also add a few green onion chunks for flavor, but remove them after cooking since I can't have solids right now. Bring all ingredients on the stove to boil except eggs - once boiling drizzle in egg whites.

Mushies is a fun phase because you can skip on the straw. The above is a great list. I enjoyed cottage cheese, yogurt, soft whole wheat Pasta with most anything on it, and pretty much anything in a can. I also ate cooked veggies and a rainbow of homemade Soups. Split pea, yum! I think I may just make a batch tonight, thanks for posting the question K@t.

I also would snack on a teaspoon of Peanut Butter while reading or watching a movie. When my teeth got the urge to crunch, I would chew ice. Hope this helps, Brenda

Mushies is a fun phase because you can skip on the straw.

Well, yeah. I didn't mean that you had to use a straw. Just that is how thin it needs to me. Sorry.

You are going to have to have thinned mushies? Ick. My doc would call the items you listed as full liquids. Mushies are foods that you would not need teeth to eat.

drumroll...The first of the chewing phases, stow the blender, throw the straw in the garbage, ladies...

I progressed from Clear Liquids, to full liquids, to mushies, to solids/normal foods.

I was going to PM because I hate posting anything that looks like conflict, but this can be an important tidbit for members and lurkers alike.

Sorry to contradict you Stitchy, but this will be good news for your post-op recovery. Congrats on the date.

Thats a great list! Thanks so much I'm going to print it off actually and put it up on the fridge. I actually gained back 1 kilo that i lost and that is not the direction i want to be going! Thanks for the help.

You've already gotten a lot of good suggestions but I just checked my list from the dietician and included in mine is soft fish like flounder, tilapia, and salmon (no shell fish). Also listed is a meatball crushed up. You might like these suggestions as they are high in Protein.< /span>

Well, Heather said she was on the mushie/liquid stage. I guess I didn't notice everything she said. Sorry.

Forget about it, I mis-read all the time. You are one of my local gals right? Check in on the NW WA page, K? Love your avatar.

and back to mushies.. I loved hummous and baba ganoush (sp?) too. I almost forgot about them. The flavor just says 'real food'.

Kat,

Mushies for me were more blenderized/pureed food. If that's the case and what your dietician recommended, technically you can puree just about anything. Take my word for it, I spend a lot of time in nursing homes actually inspecting their dietary department and with a little imagination you can puree just about anything. You just gotta make sure it's moist enough to make it so that it's not ground up.........so that it is actually pureed (kind of like baby food). Things to add to foods to moisten it: milk, broth, Water, fruit juice, vegetable/tomato juice (depending on what it is you're pureeing).

Pick what you want to eat and puree, then add the liquid. For example......taco meat (I'd puree with some beef broth or Tomato juice or both), chicken (chicken broth), green Beans (vegetable broth), blueberry muffins (milk)*********these are just some examples, not necessarily advocating you eating blueberry muffins :bandit

*If you puree fruit, you may need to actually add something to thicken it......the juice winds up making it too thin.......corn starch may work, but you have to heat it up to make it thicken.

I know I liked custards, blended cottage cheese with fruit, oatmeal, cream of wheat, yogurt, cream Soups, mashed potatoes, tuna salad, scrambled eggs (scrambled with milk to make them fluffier). All of these were easy to make/grab stuff, so I ate a lot of this, except at dinner when I usually just pureed (for me) what my family was eating.

Forget about it, I mis-read all the time. You are one of my local gals right? Check in on the NW WA page, K? Love your avatar.

and back to mushies.. I loved hummous and baba ganoush (sp?) too. I almost forgot about them. The flavor just says 'real food'.

Brenda...local? You mean Washington State? I'll look in on it.

I just couldn't fathom eating pureed food, and was really sick of just Soup, so I asked what else I could do...

My nutritionist suggested this and it worked like a charm for me!

Boil chicken breast till it "falls off the bone" and is really soft.... (I'd boil for a couple hours with carrots and sliced onions....)

Cut the chicken into very tiny pieces, and top with some of the broth or with fat free gravy or cream of chicken soup... Be sure you chew well, although it will be pretty "mushy". I used to eat this with a 1/4 c. mashed potato and a couple pieces of very soft cooked carrots... It's very mushy, gives you a good Protein count, and tastes yummy! :hungry:

That sounds good Marypetunia.........I don't want to blend food either.........I have been blending my Soups and it just feels like the same thing,...........isn't mushies like mushing with a fork?:)

Hi everybody,

I guess Im bit overdoing the mushies, Im eating just apple sauce, mashed potatoes,yougurth and Protein shakes.Oh and last week I had tunafish with a bit of mayo and onion.

Ok for Soups lovers, I made up this recepie and its sooooo delicious:-)

I chop some onion and put it on a saucepan with a bit of olive oil,then I add some chopped spinach(I use frozen one so its like one cup),add milk and some cream.Then boil for two three minutes,of course add salt,then put like 2 oz of chees (I dont know how you call it but it comes in tin foil and you can put it on bread like spread:-) then add 3-4oz of blue chees. I put it into blender for a while and you have a great tasty soup!:-)