Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

FYI: especially for newbies-Weight-loss surgery warning

The death of a Perth woman nearly two years after a stomach banding operation was likely preventable and highlights the importance of educating doctors about identifying and managing complications from gastric banding, the Deputy State Coroner has found.

Evelyn Vicker said that given how frequently gastric banding procedures were done, there was a need to ensure patients and GPs were well informed about the risks and side effects.

LINK to story

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/17828091/weight-loss-surgery-warning/

I would hope that we are all "informed consumers", adults, and have taken the time to research the risks and POSSIBLE complications from having a gastric band placed.

Gotta love your "headline"...and the scare tactics attached to it. You are trying to compete with the sensationalist media perhaps?

ALL surgical procedures have risks associated with them...we all know this. We risk our lives every day when we drive a car...but we usually arrive at our destination unscathed.

Being morbidly obese also has very well studied and documented risks associated with it.

Please get real, and STOP beating the proverbial dead horse which this topic is. For every story of complications, there are many more stories of success.

It's partly playing the odds...and our odds are still overwhelmingly in our favor for successful and healthy weight loss.

I am a strong proponent of self determination...those of us who chose WLS did so with the understanding that we either had or were projected to have significant and serious health issues without losing weight. We are doing our best to beat the odds in our favor and improve our health.

So listen to the immortal Beatles, and "Let it be".

She is from my hometown, and this article highlights the fact that people should disclose their medical history (lapband or not) when seeking medical attention. It's like a person with an allergy not mentioning that they're allergic to penicillin. :/

I have fronted at a emergency department before for excessive vomitting. The FIRST thing I said was that I had a lapband and I needed an unfill. Why on earth wouldn't you? So yes, absolutely this was preventable. It's such a tragedy.

any and all surgeries has risks.....and yes even death

we all sign paperwork stating that we understand this..

as some have said, we are adults, we choose to make that decision

shame to see you back on the forum with the usual postings.

Nice attempt at a scare tactic. If you actually wanted inform people rather than spread unfounded fear, you'd have titled this thread more appropriately. For instance "Especially for Newbies- Don't Be Stupid"

I feel horrible that this woman died but it was 100% preventable and due to her own ignorance. Like so many others we see, she seemed to think excessive vomiting was either normal or worse she thought losing weight was worth the vomiting.

This has nothing to do with WLS and everything patient ignorance.

...btw, don't you ever get tired of spreading your BS fear mongering all over these forums? Exactly why do you hate the Lap Band so much?

I normally don't respond to these posts but I am two weeks from banding and I look to the boards for support and information not having the bejesus scared out of me , surgery is frightening enough , we all know the risks and complications associated with this procedure .

Thanks for thinking about the ones that haven't educated themselves.

I sometime wish Alex and Ani would make a lapband health alert charm.

Really ??? People like you need to stop ! Jerk

Like I've said Time and time again...and will continue... Doesn't matter where this is posted it will be attacked. NO problem I have Broad shoulders. Yes I agree 100% this WAS Preventable!! And NOT everyone has the perfect Surgeon/support/ aftercare. Read the boards how many times have newbies asked this very question. "should I be concerned? did my band slip? I vomited.

I find it quite amusing that anyone can post what they ate today, that they pb'd or can't think of what to eat. But anything Factual YET negative is Attacked. It happens, get used to it, Because If everyone here NEW/long banded KNEW everything then no one would come to this forum or the others just like it .

I'll be sure to get clearance from next time I post anything Informative and make sure I've titled it correctly... :lol:

I'm Crushed !! I'm not a JERK I'm a TROLL :lol:

Ok

I won't lie though, I thought the title was a bit off tangent, myself, but I do think you gave us the opportunity of providing context.

I actually think that is article is a timely reminder to everyone that they need to fully disclose their medical history, including the fact that they have the lapband or any other medical issue that may impact their overall health, when seeing a physician. You're not a doctor, don't think you know better as to what it might be. Give them ALL the information so that they can make an most educated and informed decision for you.

Jackie085, quite the following ey? lol I'm not familiar w/ your previous posts that the responders posted about. So I'm just going to respond off of this one. I'd like to thank you. Not because I believe your approach is correct (why all the drama?) but that the information is always valid. I agree, there are too many people undergoing this procedure who are completely ignorant of potential complications, how to identify when you are having a complication and what to do when when you are having a possible complication. The reality is, ignore it and death may very well be the inevitable end to your complication. There is a severe lack of education when patients cannot describe simple symptoms of a slip, erosion, getting stuck etc. How in the hell are you going to react properly and get proper intervention if you can't even identify the problem. Rather, too many people come on LBT for advice. Well, I read posts daily and the advice varies and not all of it is reliable. LBT should not be a supplement for true medical advice by your bariatric surgeon. Every procedure has it's risks and we weighed them prior to having the procedure. Complications and risk lie in the small percentiles. However, that is no excuse to not educate yourself on those complications. This article is just a little reminder of what can happen if you think you can outsmart your band, period.

Discloser and fully reading forms is so important.

I think most people focus on their surgeon's ability.

I tend to focus more on the anestegiologist(sp?)!!

But I'm a worry wart.

What does misadventure mean? Seems like there's much more to this story than just vomiting and a lack of communication?