Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Over eat = Shoulder pain...what the?

@ 2 weeks post op and I'm still complaining of shoulder pain - however, I just relized it is horrible sharp pain when I eat too much!!! I'm eating mush and pureed foods, but I just put the correlation together - is that crazy, is it even possible??

I just VERY stupidly over did it and I'm not throwing up, not burbing, but I want to cut my arm off at the shoulder, the pain is literally that bad..

this has never happened to me but I've read about it happening to others. they all say that it happens when eating too much so at least you know that there is a connection and you're not imagining this..

Really? - well that's good to know - but seems SO odd....how can the 2 be connected?

Even at two weeks it can still be gas, but agree that eating too much may put pressure on nerves. Measure your food. Remember that it take 20 minutes for your brain to tell you that you are satisfied. You can always eat more, but it is hard to go back once you over do it! You will get there!

It happens to me. The pain is referred pain from the Vargas nerve. That nerve "reacts" to your stomach/ pouch being too full.

It happens to me. The pain is referred pain from the Vargas nerve. That nerve "reacts" to your stomach/ pouch being too full.

*vagus* nerve (not vargas)

any way to et relief? or is it just time?

For me, it just takes time. Some people use gas-x, heating pads, walking or doing windmills with their arms. I think you'll find what works for you. If you get this pain when not overeating or eating too fast, talk to your dr.

Take some Gas-X and walk around. I had very bad shoulder pain for 2-3 weeks post-op, then it stopped. I hear many say that they don't have it, but it kicks in a bit when they eat a little too much. For some, it's their first signal.

I had my second fill about 2 weeks ago, and have had left shoulder pain ever since. It doesn't seem to be related to eating, and I'm ready to cut MY arm off, too! The nurse told me to take Gas-X & see what happens. I don't want an un-fill, because my eating has been really good. She didn't seem to think the two were connected, because if I was too tight, I'd be having eating problems. I'll give it another week.

WheelCrazy - when I couldn't take the shoulder pain anymore, I took a swig of Lortab. It helped for awhile (until it wore off), but I could only take it when I didn't have to go anywhere.

yes, gas pain from the C02 used during Surgery does cause shoulder pain. That normally dissipates days-weeks after surgery. (Everyone is different)

Over eating can and does cause this same pain, Some have reported this as being their "soft stop" (but it's not a good guide to use) instead measure your food, count calories ,whatever it takes. When the stomach is too full and if it contacts the diaphragm, anytime the diaphragm is contacted /irritated it doesn't feel pain it refers it TO THE LEFT SHOULDER, the vagas nerve is involved. When this occurs long term it damages the nerve and that takes times TIME TO HEAL.

This can and DOES occur from scar tissue under the band as well.

The pain referenced is Severe/stabbing @ times and or just pain with limited mobility of the shoulder and arm. (constantly not intermittent)

I'm hoping this isn't what your referring to, give it time, and watch what you eat. I hope this resolves, and your discomfort has lessened.

I'm pretty miserable - it was definately due to over eating, TMI but luckily I got a little relief by throwing up some...UGH - BIG lesson learned tonight!! Time to measure and count, signal DON'T work for me! :)

You do have me concerned now though...I go back to the Dr on Tuesday - I'm anxious to talk to him about it all.

Yeah - throwing up is NOT good with the band... That's something you want to try & avoid at all costs.

tell me about it - I felt like I was dying...like I said, huge lesson learned.....the hard way :(

Tough lesson, but are you measuring your portions? At 2 weeks out, measuring everything is so important...most are just starting solid foods.

The vagus nerve and phrenic nerve are both easily irritated by the surgery and can cause pain.

Pay attention to your soft stops, runny nose, little cough, hiccup, etc.

Best of luck on your band journey!!

I get that shoulder pain but can relieve the pain with a simple downward dog yoga pose as its related to gas pain....my shoulder feels instantly better as soon as the gas starts moving in my body. :) Mine has nothing to do with overeating.