Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol - haven't seen much sbout it

So does anyone out there suffer from the inevitable ending of the day glass of wine.?!

I'm sure alcohol has attributed to some of my weight gain and I'm scared of it continuing to be a problem going forward after surgery because it's a liquid. I know I'll have to scale back but I have a very stressful job and family life and long for that evening relaxing glass of wine.

How do I cope?

Thoughts??

There's a lot of banded people who enjoy a glass of wine or other drink to wind down their day. I don't personally drink nightly but I do like a drink when I go out to dinner.

Just be sure to count the calories so you don't go over your daily allowance and you should be fine.

I drink wine but in moderation, I used to be a daily wine drinker but during the time when I was very focused on losing, the wine went on the back burner. Too many empty calories, that I was not willing to forfeit for my weight loss. I do go through phases now when I may go weeks and have a glass nightly than I might not touch it for months, just depemds what mood I am in. I rarely drink hard liquer, it makes me just a little to loopy! lol You have to find ways to incorporate the routine things you like in moderation. Good luck!

LAP-BAND AND ALCOHOL: CAN YOU DRINK AFTER LAP-BAND SURGERY?

Thursday, 15 December 2011 11:54

You may have heard conflicting information about your ability to drink alcohol after Lap-Band surgery, or even horror stories about WLS surgery patients who have had a dangerously high blood alcohol content after just one drink.

Some doctors may warn you that you can never drink alcohol again - ever - after being banded, because of the risk of damaging your liver. Others say that it's fine to begin drinking moderately six months after surgery, but to exercise caution. So why the difference in opinion?

WLS AND ALCOHOL

The warnings about WLS and blood alcohol content apply mainly to patients who have undergone Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery (RNY). Because of the changes to the digestive system that occur with RNY, alcohol passes directly into the intestines, where it is rapidly absorbed. This can cause patients to become dangerously intoxicated from small amounts of alcohol. Gastric bypass patients should use extreme caution when drinking, and should never drink and drive.

Lap-Band patients do not undergo the same changes in anatomy and therefore do not experience the same rapid absorption of alcohol as RNY patients. However, that doesn't mean that Lap-Band patients don't experience some risks related to alcohol consumption. There are some important considerations to take into account when deciding whether or not to pick up a beer or pour yourself a glass of wine.

ALCOHOL MAY STILL AFFECT YOU DIFFERENTLY

You're losing weight and eating less, which means that you may feel the effects of alcohol more strongly, especially if you drink on an empty stomach. If you do decide to drink, do so in a safe environment, and never drink and drive. Sip slowly and keep your alcohol consumption low until you know how it will affect you.

ALCOHOL CONTAINS A LOT OF CALORIES

Many doctors prefer that their Lap-Band patients don't drink because of the empty calories in alcohol. Mixed drinks such as margaritas, mai tais, pina coladas, and long island iced teas contain a lot of sugar and as much as 600 calories. Always factors in calories when drinking, and opt for low-cal drinks such as dry wine, vodka mixed with Crystal Light, or light beer - if you can tolerate the carbonation. Some Lap-Band patients find beer easier to drink than soda, but it may take some experimentation to find out what works for you. If champagne is your drink of choice, you may need to open it well in advance and let it go a little flat.

SOME WLS PATIENTS STRUGGLE WITH ADDICTIONS

Your doctor may prefer that you err on the side of caution as many WLS patients experience a phenomenon known as addiction transference. Because they are no longer able to overeat, they may turn to other unhealthy behaviors for dealing with stress and emotions. If you have a history of alcohol abuse, it's best to avoid it completely.

If you want to continue enjoying an occasional drink after Lap-Band surgery, consult your medical team and follow their recommendations as closely. They may advise you to wait six months following surgery to give yourself time to heal and adjust to your new diet.

http://www.malleysurgical.com/news/lap-band-and-alcohol-can-you-drink-after-lap-band-surgery.html

I am not a heavy drinker....but I don't hold back when the occasion arises.....especially when out to dinner...or sporting event....get togethers with family or friends...

That includes beer....I helped a friend move a few weeks back and we drank beer all day..lost count to be honest, 5-6? maybe?...also worked up a sweat with all the heavy lifting....and did not eat much that day either....

Of course, if you are dieting, then you need to count your calories I suppose.....and some drinks are high in calories....

We always have wine in the house...have at least one glass of red wine a day.....

Also the notion it effects me more than before WLS..in my case I have not found that to be true....as far as carbonation, it is the same as with anything. You need to know your band, listen to it as far as swallowing...same as it is with food. You learn how to live with your band. What you limitations are, when to slow down, and when to stop....all from Band feedback.

My Dr. knows I drink....his only concern was beer..(carbonated)..he asked me a few questions to see if I knew what I was doing, and when he did he said I was fine....

Calories? I stopped counting calories a long time ago...and still lost all my weight and still maintaining without any struggle, thanks to the band and the new lifestyle it brings.

I am glad you posted this as I have been having the same thoughts. I don't drink heavily but up until recently I certainly enjoyed my glass of wine a day (well, ok, maybe two or three on the weekend). I am sure it has contributed to my weight problem as well. Oddly enough I don't miss it at all during this pre-op diet, but I anticipate wanting to have a glass in a few weeks.

I will probably try not to have it daily anymore, but I will definitely include it in my calorie counts - I'd probably prefer a glass of wine to a dessert or something on occasion. I'm thinking maybe even diluting it as a wine "spritzer" with some flat tonic Water or something? We'll see how it goes.

Good luck - we can do this :) Let us know how you do !

During the weight loss phase, drinking any alcohol will slow it down. There are conflicting schools of thought on this, but I found it to be true for me.

Our bodies do not recognize alcohol as any type of food source, and given that, can only store it as fat. The other issue is the food cravings alcohol brings on, and the tendency to eat more when alcohol is involved.

Now that I've said ALL of that, I'm going to a BBQ on Memorial Day weekend, and plan to drink. I haven't had wine or anything else in three months, and I'm looking forward to that first (and maybe 2nd) glass of wine. I'm guessing it will slow down my loss for that week, but I'm willing to suffer the consequences. I miss wine too, even though I don't drink it every night. More like once a week, but then I can drink a good 1/2 to 2/3 bottle. I love it, and getting a little loopy is totally fine with me :P

Like anything, anything you ingest goes towards your calories do you should consider that. But I've never refrained from drinking if I wanted to. As long as I don't get so falling down drunk that I need to vomit (and therefore potentially damage my band) I (and my dr) have no issue with it.

Having a band doesn't mean you give up living. Well it didn't for me anyway.

I drink red wine on occasion. Good news for me is that it takes very very little to "relax me" 1/4 glass or so. And I can drink it slow and enjoy it better than before the band.

All good advice thank you guys for responding and for your support. I look forward to my surgery and to getting to know my band and what works for me. I understand that life goes on and we're all human and the key is just adjusting and adapting. I can't wait for my new lifestyle to begin.

I was never much a drinker - if I drank more then twice a month, that was a lot. I would always prefer to eat my calories, from large amounts of carbs, rather then drink them. My doctor has always said that having a small glass of wine every day, cannot hurt you, unless you are one of those people who have a problem with alcohol. You do need to count that 100 cal into your daily totals for the day. I very much enjoy my wine now, (maybe 2 or 3 times a week), and savor that glass like it is a dessert.

I drink when and what I want..just like before. It doesnt affect me any differently. Only it will loosen things up so I can eat more after a drink ,only thing to be careful about besides extra calories of course.

I like to drink and drink most nights. But beer is out (one sip gave me massive gas pains!) and I can't drink fast, so I have naturally cut down. Usually can't do more than two now without starting to feel drunk, anyway.