Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you count calories or just watch what you eat?

Trying to get a idea on how people are controlling their eating. Do you count calorie's or just watch what you eat? I am unfortunately not one of the people who can adhere by the just "eat lean Protein and veggies and eat as much as you want" as my doctor said. So I am open to how you guys have tracked your food consumptions hoping I can get some good suggestions from those of who have been successful!

Both, I am currently back to counting calories. It does make a difference because I tend not to excuse my behavior if I am being accountable to someone (myself) and will do a better job of paying attention to what goes in. I average 1100 calories a day, some days over 1200, some days closer to 900.

Fitness pal is great - uploaded to my iphone then you can add to it were ever you are and also great for shopping you can scan bar codes and find nutritional values per serving size. Also can track exercise

Both. I use MyFitness Pal everyday. I've started eating a larger Breakfast of eggs, egg whites, Tomato, spinach, avocado, bacon and cottage cheese all scrambled together. It's a fair amount of calories (382) but it keeps me full and satisfied for 5+ hours. Its' delish!

my NUT told me to just count my protien and as long as I hit the Protein grams per day he wants me at Id be fine... I like a little more control than that tho so I track calories and protien in a journal ( i know old school) and MFP ... IDK why I use both I just do.

Question for those of you who use My Fitness Pal - is there a place were it adds and displays your Protein, totals from the day? or do you just manually add them of the dairy?

It is done on MFP for you. Go to "Home", "Daily" and then there is a little pie-chart on the upper right side and a bar-graph next to it. Those will tell you how much Protein and other things you have had. In the "more" section, watch the "tutorial Videos". Those helped me out a lot when I started.

Trying to get a idea on how people are controlling their eating. Do you count calorie's or just watch what you eat? I am unfortunately not one of the people who can adhere by the just "eat lean Protein and veggies and eat as much as you want" as my doctor said. So I am open to how you guys have tracked your food consumptions hoping I can get some good suggestions from those of who have been successful!

I use a Fitbit to keep track. I don't use a food scale but I buy my Protein items in 4 oz portions. There are on line free sites that many people use also. Today I am making 1 pound of meatballs and know 3 are one meal

For those that use MyfitnessPal - do you ignore their suggestion for calories? I have been using it for 3 weeks now and have gained weight instead of loosing. Mind you I know I do not have enough restriction right now (go in Tues for a fill) so that isn't helping my "feeling full" mode like some of you. I am trying to find something that will work and frustrated right now trying to figure it all out.

I do both, and Fit bit

I count calories. I use "Lose it" free phone app.

Both, but I did notice when I was just counting calories I didn't lose as much as I did when I count and watch what I eat.

Right now I'm at 1200 cals a day, depending on the item, I'm very satisfied with that amount.

As far as MFP , their suggestions for the calorie intake will have you gaining weight, because it told me to do 2400, but I'm like umm no Ty , so I adjusted the cal intake within the app to my goal...

Good luck with your weight loss and remember its a life style change, the more you adapt to it the better it will be :)

Here's my opinion:

You mentioned you're not at correct restriction YET, so if you want to lose BEFORE you to reach that correct restriction, you'll have to control your calories by dieting....YUCK, I hate that word. But, it doesn't have to be a diet forever....

Here's a summary of what I replied to in a post last night:

I started tracking/logging my food/exercise on Jan 14th. I'm using LOSEIT....Not, repeat NOT to limit what I eat, my band does that now, but I was just curious. Here's what I have found over 3 months.

I averaged eating about 1750 calories per day. Average calories burned exercising was appx 600 per day. So my Net was 1150 calories. During this timeframe, three months, I went from 252# down to 218#, for a loss of 34#'s.

Everybody says a pound equals 3500 calories. THEY'RE right!

My BMR 2950 TO MAINTAIN: according to the mayo Clinic website http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/calorie-calculator/NU00598

My Intake 1750

1200 calorie deficit for 90 days = 108,000 calorie deficit. 108,000/3500 = 31 And I lost almost exactly that.

For those that use MyfitnessPal - do you ignore their suggestion for calories? I have been using it for 3 weeks now and have gained weight instead of loosing. Mind you I know I do not have enough restriction right now (go in Tues for a fill) so that isn't helping my "feeling full" mode like some of you. I am trying to find something that will work and frustrated right now trying to figure it all out.

If you go up top to SETTINGS, then GOALS, then at the bottom CHANGE GOALS you can change the amount of calories they give you. I think they stick to 1200 generically when you sign up, then you can tweak it if you want.

When I was actively losing, I didn't count or measure anything. I ate till I was satisfied. Now that I've gained a few lbs and I'm trying to prevent more gain, I'm counting calories on MFP.

Good luck!

Marci

I'm a myfitnesspal girl. I don't need to count... I know how much to eat and have decent restriction, but the control freak in me wants to COUNT lol!