Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice for going thru "bandster hell"

I was banded 3/21 and just started mushies/soft foods last Thursday. I am really feeling hunger more often. I am following the rules (1 cup of food for three meals with Protein first) and of course with no restriction I'm starving an hour or two later. I'm also having headaches.

Just curious from those who are months down the road, how are you getting through this time?

Tips?

Advice?

Thanks a bunch!

Of course, you should always do what your doctor recommends above all else.

However, when I was in bandster hell I simply couldn't make it on just 3 meals a day. What I did was spread my calories so I could eat every 2 hours throughout the day. It was the only way I could make it without starving. It also allowed me to continuously lose weight even while in bandster hell because I was able to stay within my daily calorie allowance.

Best wishes!

I don't recommend my way, but here's what I did. The band seemed to make me eat less from the start, but I could still eat far too much. I just noticed that I was feeling full** quicker with less food. But not enough to lose fat.

So, I started eating healthy foods. Fish, chicken, salads, veggies. Diets suck and the reason I failed on diets was because they made me feel deprived and uncomfortable. So, I ate more food during BH but I ate more healthy foods. I lost 12 lbs the first 2 weeks post surgery and did not lose or gain any weight for the next 3.5 months. Then, my 4th fill took me right up to the green zone and then I started losing. I know that's a long time to wait to see results and I wasn't very happy about it, but it's now in the past and I learned from my BH experience.

tmf

**Full is the operative word here. Early in my journey, I didn't know the difference between full and satisfied. I now know the difference and I can stop eating when I'm no longer hungry. I don't have to eat and push myself till my stomach feels like it's bloated. It took me about 10 months to figure this one out.

I too had to stretch out my calories with mini meals every few hours. Please discuss with your Dr but it was the only way I got through it as well.

The good news....this too is not forever. As you receive fills this should ease the pain a little. Even with just one fill...I can defintley stretch out the hours before going crazy hungry like before.

Good luck! Don't forget to drink lots of water!!

I was banded 3/20 and I eat every 2-3 hours, but very small "meals." This is what my surgeon prescribes and I find it necessary to keep my blood sugar stable and hunger at bay. I don't think I could've adhered to three meals/day! My lunch and dinner are Protein heavy (either fish, chicken, ground beef--I won't dare try regular red meat--or beans). I have a small side of vegetables with that. For my Snacks, I eat applesauce or I make a small smoothie with strawberries and a couple of spoonfuls of milk. Or I have a bit of cheese...in any case I take in my Calcium with my snack allowance.

I have found some "portion creep" since I was first banded so I really need to watch this and stick to 1/2 c. food max at mealtimes.

I was banded 3-13-13. I have learned to start to "feed myself" before its too late. I don't want to see how long in between meals I can go. And like too much fun said, I choose healthy things to eat. I try to fit all of my meals/snacks in before I get to a point of hungry.

Of course' date=' you should always do what your doctor recommends above all else.

However, when I was in bandster hell I simply couldn't make it on just 3 meals a day. What I did was spread my calories so I could eat every 2 hours throughout the day. It was the only way I could make it without starving. It also allowed me to continuously lose weight even while in bandster hell because I was able to stay within my daily calorie allowance.

Best wishes![/quote']

What is the daily calorie allowance? I've been between 700-900

What is the daily calorie allowance? I've been between 700-900

I know your comment wasn't directed at me but I really paid no attention to calories but I did eat healthy. I ate about 2000 a day. I managed to maintain my 12 lb loss till I got my 4th fill and then the weight loss took off.

I had dieted for so long that I just refused to diet anymore and just waited on that fill that would give me restriction. I also ate healthy food so I wasn't hungry all the time. The band did seem to enable me to eat a little less food so I wasn't able to really pig out.

tmf

So I'm trying to eat smaller meals a little sooner between. Thank you for those tips! Like others have said I feel full quicker so I know the band is doing something to help.

My weight is fairly stable, no big up or down changes. My goal for now is to remain stable until my first fill April 26.

As for calories my paperwork says 1500 calories but it also says no more than one cup meals three times a day. How do you get 1500 calories into 3 cups unless its pure sugar or carb loaded?? So this is a question for my visit next week.

As for now I am hanging around 1000-1300 calories per day. I'm making decent food choices focused on Protein and veggies and fruit.

As I come up on being 4 weeks post op I'm trying not to be discouraged that there hasn't been weight loss since the first days post op. I am relishing in the weight that has come off and enjoying my pants being longer (as I have dropped some weight my pants have become longer and looser)!!

Any more tips/war stories about your time in BH???

I was in BH for 4 months so 4 weeks is awful but not fatal. I still eat a snack around 10:30 and 3 pm every day. Usually it's an apple, jerkey, fruit, a few bites of tuna salad etc. That gets me to my next meal just fine.

Yeah 1500 calories is a little too much if you want to lose but should be fine just to maintain. And at this stage, that's all they really expect you to achieve.

Sounds like you've got it all under control so just keep doing what you're doing.