Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would You Have Weight Loss Surgery Again?

Would You Have Weight Loss Surgery Again?   

107 members have voted

1. 1. Knowing what you know now about weight loss surgery, would you do it again if you had the chance to make your decision again?

• Yes, without a doubt! The surgery has been everything I?d hoped for.
    • Yes, probably. The journey hasn?t been easy, but I?m losing weight and feel that this was my best option.
    • Yes, but I would have chosen a different type of weight loss surgery.
    • No. I?ve had complications and my health has suffered and/or I haven?t been hitting my weight loss goals.
    • I haven?t had the surgery yet, but I?m looking at the results of this poll carefully to help me make my decision!
    • Other...read my response below!

Knowing what you know now about weight loss surgery, would you do it again if you had the chance to make your decision again? Choose your option in the above poll, and then explain it in the discussion below!

I vote 100% yes, lap band has given me back years of my life. Is it easy no, does it require just as much hard work as any other method I have tried, yes the difference is lap band has taught me Portion Control and learning the difference between being full and being satisfied. I would defiantly have the surgery again!

I'd certainly have it again, and I'd def stay with lap band. IT REALLY WORKS!

If I had a discussion with someone considering WLS, as I did last night at a support group meeting, I would tell them to research band with plication.

SO many people I read about on here take forever to reach proper restriction, even if they do go to their surgeons as directed. Every day you can read the following, "So frustrated, losing hope, not losing, I'm eating too much, etc, etc."

I'd also make 100% sure that my fills were going to be done using fluoro, instead of the guessing method.

Just my $.02

Definitly yes! Pretty much ditto what Lovethenewme stated.

Easter last year praying for death to come because of the pain I was in. One year later, I feel so good. I have my life back.

It is not an easy fix, but dedication and work, but well worth it.

My sis had gastric bypass which takes just as much dedication and work and there is failure in that too, if you don't change your lifestyle. After losing her weight, she has now gained it back and became an alcoholic to boot.

I am so excited about my future!

I would do it again in a heart beat.

I would also come back to LBT.com for my support too.

I'd certainly have it again, and I'd def stay with lap band. IT REALLY WORKS!

If I had a discussion with someone considering WLS, as I did last night at a support group meeting, I would tell them to research band with plication.

SO many people I read about on here take forever to reach proper restriction, even if they do go to their surgeons as directed. Every day you can read the following, "So frustrated, losing hope, not losing, I'm eating too much, etc, etc."

I'd also make 100% sure that my fills were going to be done using fluoro, instead of the guessing method.

Just my $.02

Excellant point about fills, all of my fills have been done under fluro. I will not have a fill any other way.

Yes, I would do it again in a heart beat. I am getting healthier all the time. While it isn't the easiest thing I've ever done, it has been worth it. Plus, to me, I like knowing that if something would happen this surgery is reversible.

Everyone is different this type of WLS isn't for everyone, but it was for me.

Yes, I would do it again. One of the best decisions I have made. The difference from this time last year is amazing. I have so much more energy, I feel so much better, and I believe I am healthier. My knees don't hurt as much and I don't wake up in the middle of the night with a back ache. I honestly don't believe I would have lost the weight I have without. I know I have more to lose but am happier than I have been in a long time. I can shop for clothes now without crying. It has not been easy and some time can get frustrating but so worth it.

I also would do it again in a heartbeat. It's been work and change on my part, but I'm positive I wouldn't have lived to see my kids have their own families someday if I hadn't gotten the band and lost 200 pounds.

My advice to anyone considering the band is to do your homework. The biggest problem I see is people going into surgery completely clueless what to expect and what will be expected of them. They come out expecting the band to perform miracles or are simply ignorant to what the band is (and isn't) supposed to do. Education is your best friend making such a life changing decision.

I would 100% do it again. Definitely.

The best thing I ever did!! This site is the best support anyone could ask for.

Thank you!, the Band and LBT.

While I've had complications (a minor slip), I would do it again 100%! I used to have severe hypertension (on 4 different bp meds) and thought I would die early (my dad had his first heart attack at 32 and died at 43), but I'm off all but 1 of my bp meds. My bp is totally normal. And I'm only 45. I've had hypertension since I was 25. Off all but 1/2 of an antidepressant (used to take 3 of those too), and lowered my pain medication dose alot.

It's definately not east, but it's doable. And I'd do it over again (except maybe I'd add plication, which wasn't available in 2009)

Marci

Absolutely, no doubt this was a life saver for me and others like me!

Yes, yes and yes! My journey has been challenging and my weight loss slow at times and yes, stalled for periods of time, but I have no doubt that I did the right thing. I sit here, drinking my morning Protein Shake planning out today's exercise routine in the smallest size clothing that I've worn in 24 years, off blood pressure medication, off metformin because I'm not pre-diabetic anymore and not suffering from sleep apnea anymore so YES! No regrets!!!

Yes

Having my wls was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I would do it again, again, and again if I had too. :D I love the smaller me. I'm more healthy and I look good. :)

I would do it, but expect to revise at some point. The bigger problem is that I most likely cannot revise due to damage from my band. Given the same options at the same time, yes. Today, no. I would choose VSG.