Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two days post op hurts to eat!

I'm two days post op and drinking anything is very painful. Just had a Popsicle and its so uncomfortable. Can barely get anything down!

well, your insides are very swollen and healing. it is normal.

please continue to sip very slowly as it does get better as the days go by.

I had a lot of pain post op as well, but not from drinking Clear liquids. Protein shakes though caused tremendous gas and nausea (believe it was the milk in them). The gas pains were horrible.

Hang in there. It will pass before you know it. By day 9, nothing hurt anymore. But days 1 through 7 were hell.

I had the same experience. It passed after a week. But for the first week after syrgery I felt like I got run over by a truck. Followed by a marching band. I couldn't stomach the taste of anything. Even Water tasted awful to me. It did pass, but i was concerned as well. I would just let your doctor know. But really work on sipping water at the least. It should clear up soon after the swelling goes down. Best of luck!!!!

I'm two days post op and drinking anything is very painful. Just had a Popsicle and its so uncomfortable. Can barely get anything down!

Nicole, I'm going through the same thing. I had my surgery on Monday afternoon. I'm able to take very small sips of things, but I do feel the liquid going down. I think the pain is mostly where my stomach was plicated, but I don't really know. One thing helps for me, is to eat/drink things that aren't ice cold. That cold really sends a surge, and room temp or warm seems to work best.

Good luck! Thanks to all these posts by others who have been through this, I trust things will improve each day.

I agree with taking it slow and not going w/ ice cold. At this point, you probably will only be able to take small (frequent) sips to get liquids down. Also, if you are still experiencing pain, are you trying your pain meds? If lukewarm sipping of water/liquids isn't tolerable, I would suggest calling your doctor's office.

I'm trying not to take the pain meds as much because they make me constipated but may have to take one. This gas pain is ridiculous.

Yeah - I agree, the gas pain is ridiculous. I think I've FINALLY gotten rid of most of mine, but it was nuts. The problem is, the pain meds didn't really touch the gas pain. But they made me not care as much, and I was able to sleep. Now I just feel like I was kicked in the stomach. I'm sure that part is the surgery & not gas.

I haven't done a laxative yet, but I drank some prune juice today. I may start drinking Miralax as well. It's hard, though, because we have to drink so slowly. With Miralax, you mix it in 8oz of Water and chug it. Well....I think chugging is a thing of the past for us :P

I am 7 days post op today and had a hard time drinking much of anything the first 2 days. I just took small sips, and slept so my body could heal. Beef broth was the only thing I could drink a decent amount of- not chicken broth at all! Day 2 I started Protein Shakes and spent days 4 &5 with vomiting and nausea...I found that room temperature and warm were AWESOME! Good luck!!!

....going #2 didnt happen until 6days post op! BE PREPARED...LOL

Geez - I might have to bust out the liquid Milk of Magnesia! The though of it grosses me out, but (usually) it works pretty well. With all the straight liquids for so many days, what's really there to come out, anyway?