Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Possible solution for PB's and restriction pain

My first bites are always painfull also. I suggest having a glass of warm before you eat - coffe works nicely, or consider warm tea. Also, the holding your breath bit works well for me also, but I would be careful to not agitate your band simply because you can.

Chunk - Great weight loss! Good job! Yep - I understand what you're saying and would never intentionally irritate the band. I got a really tight fill and seem to have trouble alot no matter what I do (hot tea, coffee, etc. included). This has gotten better lately as I think the band is starting to loosen up again. I'm just wondering if the holding the breath thing will irritate it any worse than the golfball feeling with the slime? Seems like you're expanding the esophogas to allow the food to readjust. Wondering if that might put any more pressure on the band than the "stuck". I take really tiny little bitty bites and chew, chew, chew... just doesn't always work.

I don't see how taking a deep breath extends the esophagus. This concern seems to have been brought up a couple times, however, the extension of the esophagus couldn't be any worse than a hiccup, which also is a spasm of your diaphram that does a much shorter duration of the deep breath technique I've been trying.

Lets put it this way - if a deep breath were a problem for lapband patients, don't you think it would've been considered long before now by the thousands of others who've had the band done, or the thousands of doctors performing the surgery, or the millions of dollars spent by the pharmaceutical company who holds the patent? If deep breaths were dangerous, the FDA would've never passed the band as a viable WLS tool.

In any event, tomorrow night is my support group meeting and I will ask the doctors present to see if they feel it might be a problem for us. In the meantime, I will continue the deep breathing until I hear otherwise. I'd rather have relief than discomfort.

Jesse -

Me, too. :-) Thanks for checking on it... I don't see how it could hurt much either, but when MiniMe brought it up, I thought I'd chime in and get some thoughts. I'm taking deep breaths until I hear otherwise. Thanks so much for passing this info along! It has helped me tons! You have a good day!

nodumblonnd,

Opposed to the problems being overwight causes, Yes, it is well worth it. First of all, the pain goes away, the port is not on the outside of your body and the sliming is something that may or may not happen. And when it does happen it is easy to take care of. It can be from not chewing well enough or eating too fast. Don't get discouraged over these things. Banding is well worth it. But you have to know how to make the best use of your band. It is a tool to help you lose weight, not the answer. Your doctor will help you understand all this and this board has great help and advice.

I have always been a slow loser and my weightloss is still slow but it has been steady. I am down 35 lbs. with very little change in what I eat, I just eat way less of it because of the band.:clap2:

What I want to know is, if I'm having restriction now, and I haven't gotten a fill yet, even though my surgery was almost 3 months ago, when will I be ready for my first fill?

Jesse

weight.png

It's really personal, Jesse. Some are ready for fills by week 2 post-op, heh, though most doctors make you wait 4-6 weeks or more.

Remember that everyone's stomach is a different size... for some it's a stretch to get the band on there! Stomachs like that will have more restriction to start. For some, the band barely touches their stomach without a fill.

If you've gone 3 months and still have restriction, enjoy it!! As long as you're losing weight successfully, I think you're fine. When you plateau or find that you're regularly eating more then you should, then you need to get that fill.

Congrats on your 60 pounds gone, that's awesome!

Jesse - I agree with Janet 100%. Everyone is different.... But hey - if you've lost 60 lbs, something's working! And if it ain't broke.... :-)

If you've got restriction, no need to worry about that fill. You'll get to a point where you can tell that you've lost restriction. You'll be able to eat more than you did before and won't have that same feeling of fullness.

You're doing great!

Thanks for the advice. I'm typically a "not broken don't fix it" kinda guy but I was concerned that there was a time period that a fill was required.

My weight loss is much slower these days then the first 6 weeks, so I wasn't sure it was still something to be concerned with.

Thanks for the affirmations.

Jesse

weight.png

Watch for 1 to 2 pounds per week... average. So you'll have to take those fast weeks immediately post-op & average them in (hate that!). When the AVERAGE falls below 1 pounds a week, talk to your doc about that there fill! :(

Wow, 61 pounds gone? Wasn't it just 60? :Banane33: Keep it up!

I'm losing weight at a pretty slow rate now, 1-2 pounds a week. Some weeks I don't see any movement, other weeks 3-4 pounds, but on the average, I see about 2 lbs a week. I can't complain. Its been 86 days since my surgery and I'm down 61 pounds. Thats still an average of over 5 pounds a week. When it stops for two weeks straight, then I'll talk to my doc about the fill. Also, I have my 3 month visit coming up soon. I guess I'll run it by him again then.

Thanks,

Jesse

weight.png

Banded January 30th, 2006

LAD

Thanks for the encouragement. I am back & forth whether I think I should get the band. I am 218 for 3 years, but haven't really dieted or anything so I wasn't sure it was time for what seems extreme to me at this point. Also, wanted to know of your Experience with Dr. Kuri, since I am still trying to decide who I feel comfortable with.

pam

As odd as it may sound I have noticed that this does work. I had my 1 year anniversary on the 22nd of April and I have actually used this technique. Don't know why but it does work.

Jennifer

245/170/145

GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY!!!

I had my support group meeting last night and before I went to the meeting, I stopped by and spoke to my doctor. I explained what I've been doing with the deep breathing. I told him about some of the concerns mentioned here. I also asked if he felt that it could in some way be a detriment to me and my band.

His reply, "If it relieves pain and it doesn't create other problems, its perfectly fine. The organs and tissues in and around your stomach/band area are soft and flexible and breathing would have no adverse reaction to your band or digestive tract."

WHAT A BIG RELIEF!!! So, I went to my meeting after our conversation and I shared my discovery with the group. Everyone felt so encouraged to have something new to try that they were buzzing with questions and interest. The nurse who also sits in on these meetings seems to think that this may, if enough people have success with it, be added to the instructions given during the pre-op class.

We shall see what the others think of it.

Jesse

weight.png

Banded January 30, 2006