Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diabetic Type II and I have Questions for Pre Op and Post Op

Hi,

I am a Type II Diabetic and am getting started with the Lap band seminars and first appointments.

Is anyone a Diabetic and have information and knowledge of the liquid pre op and post op diet and how to do this as a diabetic safely? I am worried as I go into a hypo very easily if I don't eat every three hours.

I can't do liquid diets to prepare for procedures nevermind this 2 weeks. Nutritionists must have a way.

Any thoughts?

Hi vacationgirl1. Im doing LB on 3/11 an am type II as well. I see surgeon for last pre-op app. on 3/5. Ive been told I will stop ALL meds day of surgery then give myself time to heal. My endocrinologist will then have to make med/insulin dose changes as needed. My true goal is to reduce weight enough to get off insulin. Im 6'4 285 an hoping to lose 50-60 lbs.(hopefully). Keep in close contact with your dr. every step of the way. You'll do fine!! :)

Thanks for sharing :) Have you started your Pre-Op diet? If so, how are you doing? Do you get to have more protein/calories due to the diabetes? I'm on Metformin 2x/day and get hypoglycemic if I don't eat every 3 hours and eat plenty of protein/fat/carb combos.

Did you have to do extra tests and did it take longer for you to prepare for your surgery date due to your Diabetes?

I am so ready to do this and just want things to move along!

Thanks again! Good luck preparing for your surgery!

I'm type 2 also,

If you go hypoglycemic easily how often do you test your blood sugar each day?

I maintain a pretty low blood sugar (75 to 85 range most mornings) with Byetta and Metformin and I didn't have any problems with the liquid diet the 2 weeks pre-op or the clear liquid diet the day before surgery (in fact my blood sugar went up the morning of the surgery). I'm on day 2 of Clear liquids post op restarted my diabetic meds today and not having any problems so far.

Hi,

I'm not surprised that your sugar went up the morning of the surgery. Stress will do that! Good for you having a low blood sugar each morning. If I eat more carbs at night, my sugars are better in the am. If I eat low carbs at night, my sugar is higher in the am! It's been hard.

I'm glad you had no trouble with the liquid diet and your surgery went well! I'd love to hear more about your post-op experience!

Did it take you longer to get your surgery date due to Diabetes? Did you have to have more tests?

IS there something specific you'd like to know? I normally use "myfitnesspal.com" to track my nutrition and calories. If you join that site you can friend me (I'm "Fredrigo") and you'll be able to see what I eat and my weight loss progress.

Did it take you longer to get your surgery date due to Diabetes? Did you have to have more tests?

Actually it took less than week to get approval once I turned in my psych and nutrition evals in. If you have a high BMI like myself, contributing chronic illnesses (High blood pressure and Diabetes in my case) and a well documented history of weight control attempts it's apparently a pretty straightforward decision.

Thanks! My BMI is 41 and I have Diabetes, high cholesterol, and some other issues (co-morbidities.) I have done WW many times as well as diets with nutritionists the past few years when I was told I had Pre-Diabetes, and then became Diabetic with an A1C of 6.5.

On Monday, I go for blood tests and a group nutrition and information 2 hour session. Then, I get my appointments scheduled for psych eval and nutrition as well as anything else they think I need.

I hope it's fast. I need to do this. My head is ready.

I have been on Myfitnesspal.com. I will check it out again to find you.

Thanks!

Hi,

I am a Type II Diabetic and am getting started with the Lap band seminars and first appointments.

Is anyone a Diabetic and have information and knowledge of the liquid pre op and post op diet and how to do this as a diabetic safely? I am worried as I go into a hypo very easily if I don't eat every three hours.

I can't do liquid diets to prepare for procedures nevermind this 2 weeks. Nutritionists must have a way.

Any thoughts?

Why is that? Are you on insulin?

Oral or injected with T2 you should not be hypo if you don't eat every 3 hours.

Either way, I'm T2 and have been on the liquid diet for 13 days and everything is fine.

I had to cut my meds drastically but doing great and lost 15 lbs in first 4 days.

My surgery date is this coming wednesday the 6th. My first appointment was mid January.

I got insurance approval in 5 days so no having diabetes will help not hinder.

Best of luck.

Let us know how it goes.

Good luck with your surgery on the 6th! So glad you are doing well with the liquid diet :)

Timing sounds great! I am looking forward to my first appointment tomorrow for blood work and group nutrition session. Then, they make the appointment with the surgeon after that.

I will work with nutritionists to be stable on the "hypo" end of things. I'm on Metformin 2x/day, so not much for meds. I've always been hypoglycemic. I'll just have to have a plan for that.

Again, all the best to you on the 6th!

So do you feel hypolycemic or does your bloodsugar reading show you you're hypoglycemic?i had a friend who often felt hypoglycemic but once he started testing at those times they found out the symptoms he felt had nothing to do with his blood sugar it was actually his blood pressure causing the symptoms. Eating something worked to alleviate the symptoms but so would simply changing what he was doing.

I only ask because you aren't on very many meds which usually means your A1c is relatively stable so the diet shouldn't be a big problem.

Yes, my blood sugars go down when I am feeling hypoglycemic. Here are my "numbers" that were tested in the hospital and are where I cannot go:

Blood sugar of 190 - I begin to shake and have rough hypo symptoms

Blood sugar of 170 or below - I pass out (Most do this when blood sugar is 130 or so)

So, in my first nutrition meeting today, they said they are sending me to the Joslin Diabetes Hospital, which is luckily right across the street from the hospital I have chosen for my surgery.

Hypoglycemia has been a huge problem of mine since I was a kid. Diabetes is new, and all over my family history.

Do you have an endocrinologist? I've never heard of anyone having a hypoglycemic reaction at 130. In fact my understanding is 130 is pretty normal and hypoglycemia kicks in around 75 or less. The following article is representative of what my research has generally found.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/DiabetesScreening/story?id=3812946

I'd be concerned your blood sugar may be another symptom of something else which is giving you those symptoms. How frequently does your physician do bloodwork?

Oh Gosh... I have blood test done all the time! I also have LOW blood pressure that is stable most of the time, but drops out of now where! I can't monitor it. It is called Neurally Mediated Hypotension. It stinks having both.

It's hard to lose weight with these conditions, Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. This is why I need help!