Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercising but the scale is not budging!?!

I had surgery on November 27, 2012. My beginning weight was 193, I am now 172. My scale has not budged from 172 in the past past 7-10 days. I exercise every day, consisting of 20-25 mins on the eliptical, and a few days a week I will throw in an extra 10-15 mins. I know my scale is accurate because it is weighing my kids correctly. I don't understand why I haven't lost anything this past week. I do not count my calories, should I start counting?

I had surgery on November 27' date=' 2012. My beginning weight was 193, I am now 172. My scale has not budged from 172 in the past past 7-10 days. I exercise every day, consisting of 20-25 mins on the eliptical, and a few days a week I will throw in an extra 10-15 mins. I know my scale is accurate because it is weighing my kids correctly. I don't understand why I haven't lost anything this past week. I do not count my calories, should I start counting?[/quote']

We have a way of overcompensating our workouts with extra calories. Start measuring and tracking. Try upping the length of your workouts to 40 min too.

I follow a couple of experts on YouTube from Runkeeper. They really help with my goals.

Keep us posted.

okay, thanks ladies, I guess I'll start to track my calories & increase exercise time.

if you take in more calories then you burn off, you will gain or not lose. sounds like you are doing great with the exercising so keep it up. even if the scale is not moving, i promise the band is working..(i dont use a scale, so i go by how lose my clothes are to see that its working). great job all around

I would track your calories just so that you are always aware. But I wouldn't weigh every week, and definitely not every day. Your weight is constantly fluctuating - especially if you are a woman! Also, watch your sodium intake - that can lead to Water retention. Good job so far!! :D

You can't expect to lose weight like a robot. It's not like every day we lose .25 lbs if we burn 900 calories more than we take in. As we exercise we replace some lost fat with muscle. Losing fat is the goal and there will be weeks or months where we don't lose weight but we lose fat.

Circumstances can allow our bodies to retain fluids. TOM, sodium intake, meds, stress and excessive carbohydrates can make us retain lbs of excess fluids. It's very easy for an obese person to retain 10-20 lbs of Water. 2 weeks before and after surgery we lose a lot of weight and most of that is Water. Don't expect it to continue!

tmf

If it makes you feel any better I do an hour of cardio 7 days a week and I'm in a major stall. And yes I do watch my calorie intake. My doctor wants an hour of cardio everyday so it could be that at your weight you need to be doing a lot more exercise in order to lose. Remember at lower weights your basal metabolism will burn less calories than if you weighed more.

I would suggest measuring if you're working out rather than weighing... muscle is heavier than fat I would also track calories... just because you're not loosing weight doesn't mean you're not loosing fat it may just mean you're gaining muscle. ... you body index changes when you start working out and loosing weight which makes us all different....

Good Morning AC,

Congrats on your CONSISTENT exercise approach ! Good news is I can pretty much guarantee why your loss has ceased - assuming the calories - food is in place correctly.

As you may be aware the body is constantly seeking homeostasis and therefore we must MIX up the exercise, "confuse" the body OR it adjusts to the new "norm" and figures out how to keep you at the weight you are. CrossTraining is key. Sooooo get off the elliptical machine - mix up cardio and strength - even within cardio add HIIT or TABATA's to the workout. Additionally - If at all POSSIBLE mix in a group fitness class like Spin, Bootcamp, Boxing, Zumba etc...

Do this 10 days and you will see things start to drop. You could get a personal trainer but that can be pricey - you may want to look into online virtual trainer - real person not app or website - they will give you specific plan and train with you via video online usually a whole month is the price of what one or two personal trainer sessions would cost. MAKE SURE they are Certified Trainer though like from ACE or NASM. I have several friends that have had big success with this.

Good luck !

Lee

279 lbs Lost all diseases reversed

from livestrong.com:

Muscle is heavier by volume -- or more dense -- than fat.

Muscle does not weigh more than fat, since 5 lbs. is 5 lbs.

Read more: http://www.livestron.../#ixzz2KggurpSB

Good Morning AC,

Congrats on your CONSISTENT exercise approach ! Good news is I can pretty much guarantee why your loss has ceased - assuming the calories - food is in place correctly.

As you may be aware the body is constantly seeking homeostasis and therefore we must MIX up the exercise, "confuse" the body OR it adjusts to the new "norm" and figures out how to keep you at the weight you are. CrossTraining is key. Sooooo get off the elliptical machine - mix up cardio and strength - even within cardio add HIIT or TABATA's to the workout. Additionally - If at all POSSIBLE mix in a group fitness class like Spin, Bootcamp, Boxing, Zumba etc...

Do this 10 days and you will see things start to drop. You could get a personal trainer but that can be pricey - you may want to look into online virtual trainer - real person not app or website - they will give you specific plan and train with you via video online usually a whole month is the price of what one or two personal trainer sessions would cost. MAKE SURE they are Certified Trainer though like from ACE or NASM. I have several friends that have had big success with this.

Good luck !

Lee

279 lbs Lost all diseases reversed

Thank you so much Lee! I have dropped a couple more pounds, phew and my clothes are fitting MUCH looser. I am working on mixing things up! Thanks again!

Thank you so much Lee! I have dropped a couple more pounds' date=' phew and my clothes are fitting MUCH looser. I am working on mixing things up! Thanks again![/quote']

Whoop Whoop!!! Great news and thanks for pinging me back and letting me know. It's always great to hear positive feedback and its inspiring when people seize their future and make it happen as you are ; )

Hope in Your Future is POWER in Your Present!

Lee

If it makes you feel any better I do an hour of cardio 7 days a week and I'm in a major stall. And yes I do watch my calorie intake. My doctor wants an hour of cardio everyday so it could be that at your weight you need to be doing a lot more exercise in order to lose. Remember at lower weights your basal metabolism will burn less calories than if you weighed more.

This is my story however I keep pushing.., some days are hard. I can't see my recent weight loss but know it has happened