Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Overwhelming feeling of fear of failure

I'm getting banded in Wednesday morning and I have this overwhelming feeling that I am going to fail with the LapBand. I'm so worried that I will be hungry all of the time and I am not going to lose weight... Anyone else feeling this?

Pretty normal for this stage. But don't fear it! Want it more than anything you ever wanted before!

You can do it if you WANT it!

Yes. I have those fears as well however, I have found that adopting the "one day at a time" mentality helps me immensely. If I look too far ahead...it's too overwhelming and scary. I tell myself that I can do this FOR TODAY (eat well, exercise, drink liquids, etc.). TODAY I can do this...tomorrow is a different day and I can't control that.....but I can do it today.

Take some deep breaths....it's gonna be a long ride. But one worth taking. I'll be your band sister the very next day....Thurs the 7th. We can do this together. :)

Thank you! I do want this more than anything! I'm so much more excited than scared but suddenly I'm scared that I will fail at this new lifestyle and won't be a success story

Jennifer, we have all felt the same way I am sure.. After years of dieting and really trying and failing your feelings are understandable.. I was banded on 1/15 and have lost 23 lbs.. since pre-op so, it will work.. Is it easy yes and no.. I have some days when I am starving.. and other days I cruise through on my 1 cup of food per meal... You will have to make up your mind that this is for the rest of your life and you will feel so good when you reach your goal.. No matter what you are taking a big step and you will be surprised at how successful you can be. Take care of yourself and don't think too far ahead..

I agree...one day at a time! That's what gets me through. I don't worry about tomorrow until I get to it. And getting through today won't be as bad as you thought. :-)

I'm getting banded in Wednesday morning and I have this overwhelming feeling that I am going to fail with the LapBand. I'm so worried that I will be hungry all of the time and I am not going to lose weight... Anyone else feeling this?

Hi Jennifer,

I think many of us 'subconsciously' think that, or in my case I fear I will never reach my goal because of how long I have been overweight. I do know this time around its different because i have a tool now, that as long as I do my part, I will continue to achieve my dream of losing this weight and keeping it off, and so will you....

Thank you! I do want this more than anything! I'm so much more excited than scared but suddenly I'm scared that I will fail at this new lifestyle and won't be a success story

to fail is to not try or give up and not listen to your doctor.

if you want this as you say you do, then do not let anything stop you.

want it bad enough to accept no excuses..you can do it..

Thank you all for your support and understanding. It's nice to know that I'm not alone :)

I FAILED at EVERY diet I have ever been on....and they were many....that's why I was referred to a surgeon to have WLS....as a last resort...because I could not do it....

In other words, I may not have faith in myself, and fear failure, but the band did not fail me....as long as I got out of the way and let it do what it was designed to do...

Many time I have tried to "Cheat", as I would with diets...but the band would not let me....unless I'm a glutton for some not too pretty results....

You're having surgery....Why? It must be because you are expecting the band to do something...correct?

So how can YOU be the failure.......

B, that was very well put....

I' just went for a fill today and I feel nothing . I felt more restriction last fill. I'm at 11 cc in a 14 band and yes I'm starting to panic. Any suggestions? Do I need to do 5 day pouch?

I FAILED at EVERY diet I have ever been on....and they were many....that's why I was referred to a surgeon to have WLS....as a last resort...because I could not do it....

In other words' date=' I may not have faith in myself, and fear failure, but the band did not fail me....as long as I got out of the way and let it do what it was designed to do...

Many time I have tried to "Cheat", as I would with diets...but the band would not let me....unless I'm a glutton for some not too pretty results....

You're having surgery....Why? It must be because you are expecting the band to do something...correct?

So how can YOU be the failure.......[/quote']

Thank you for this... It has helped me regain some focus

Think of it like brushing your teeth or doing your hair or putting on make up...it's something you do every day because its good for you and makes you feel awesome! ;-)

My insurance Co. insisted that I go through a 6 month Medically Supervised Diet, just so they can officially have in my record, that I am a "Bonafide Failure" when it comes to diets and dieting....therefore WLS is the only option left for me.....