Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did your doc suggest as a goal weight?

My surgeon, nor the bariatrician never suggested a goal weight for me, they asked me mine and i said id be very happy at 200, tho i would still be considered obese in terms of my BMI...they never said anything about a lower one, but im sure they have lower in mind lol. I see the bariatrician on wednesday and will ask her. I am 5'1 so the "ideal" range that i see all over the internet is 109-135.

My surgeon advises a goal of BMI under 25. The weight would be different for everyone, depending on you height. A BMI under 25 is healthy. I guess personally, I want to be healthy, not just sort of healthy.

for your height 200 is not a good goal. You will still be obese. I am 5'5 and my doctor told me 175 so I would say at least 140 for you.

I told then 140 they said how about aim for 160 I am 5'7" and 64 years old...age does make a differant

My doctor never gave me one. He ask me what mine was I told him my realistic goal was 160, but my dream goal was 135. I am 5'2 and 32 years old. He told me if I work at it I would reach my dream, I just had to keep working at it after I hit that 160. Of course he reminded me that this would not happen over night, it may take 3 years, but he thought I could do it.

On my ticker I have 140 listed as goal and I would be happy with that and I am half way there in 7.5 months.

60% of my excess weight which would put me at 215, but is not my stopping point, it is simply the average for his patients. Once I reach that we will re-evaluate and set another goal. The charts say my top weight should be 184, which is probably where I will shoot for next. For me it is good to have an intermediary goal, to give me encouragement.

Why settle for still being obese? I do not understand the logic? A healthy BMI for your height is 100 to 125 according to the chart... While that may see insurmountable now it wont as you lose......and the whole idea is to get healthy.

My doctor asked me what my realistic goal was. I said 160. He said it would be at the higher end of the chart so he would like to see 150 but let's reassess when I get there. Well I got to 159 on my last visit in November and he told be he thought I was there!!! Healthy BMI and look fabulous.

The funny things is.... Now I want to get to 150.... No I don't have an eating disorder... I just want to do it for my own personal satisfaction. I am maintaining at 157.... And just not trying very hard but some day I will get there. By the way I am 5'9" so there is a whole lot more of me than you thus the weight difference

]

for your height 200 is not a good goal. You will still be obese. I am 5'5 and my doctor told me 175 so I would say at least 140 for you.

Really Cheryl?? Not only did you tell her 'what to do" you also called her OBESE, YES YOU said it! Wow, nothing you say ever surprises me on this forum.

YOU are really a class act...... I think you need to apologize to Rebecca and maybe next time, THINK before you write! Isn't that what writers do????

My surgeon, nor the bariatrician never suggested a goal weight for me, they asked me mine and i said id be very happy at 200, tho i would still be considered obese in terms of my BMI...they never said anything about a lower one, but im sure they have lower in mind lol. I see the bariatrician on wednesday and will ask her. I am 5'1 so the "ideal" range that i see all over the internet is 109-135.

Hi Rebecca,

My surgeon like yours asked what goal would I like to set my weight at, I said 190. According to the BMI chart that would still put me in a higher body mass index bracket, ..I am shooting for 'Healthy". He has no problems with this at all, and once I get to my goal we will discuss going lower, but as of right now my goal is 190. Yes, I am certain he would like me to go lower and in due time the subject will come up.

I too used the obese word.. I apologize if you are offended. It wasnt the intent. I was using it in accordance with the BMI chart. Certainly Obese looks different on everyone. See the pic on my profile? The one in the black dress on my avatar.... It was taken the first weekend in April last year. I was 205 and considered obsese.... But i was wearing a size 14 which i was thrilled over.

But i was still in the danger zone according to my dr So I continued losing and now I am 50 lbs less. I am at the higher end of the chart for a healthy weight.... In 3 lbs I will be over weight again. and am wearing a pair of size six jeans. My measurement are 34/ 28/ 37... Go figure.

When I asked my doc the same question he said he just wanted me healthy. I am like Cheryl...5'5" and my goal is 160. I also don't want to be skinny skinny either. I like having my curves and everything so my size goal is a 10. Sometimes I think it's like Floridays said...you start with that goal of 200. When you get there I bet you will keep on going and set another goal. At least that way it doesn't seem so overwhelming all at one time. :-)

Really Cheryl?? Not only did you tell her 'what to do" you also called her OBESE, YES YOU said it! Wow, nothing you say ever surprises me on this forum.

YOU are really a class act...... I think you need to apologize to Rebecca and maybe next time, THINK before you write! Isn't that what writers do????

SHE SAID IF SHE WAS 200 SHE WOULD BE OBESE DIDNT SHE. I AM NOT APOLOGISING BECAUSE YOU SAY SO. I DIDNT SAY ANYTHING WRONG. IF YOU DONT LIKE WHAT I POST THEN BLOCK ME. PLEASE DO. BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I MEANT. I WAS NOT SAYING IT TO BE HURTFUL. ARENT YOU DOING THE SAME THING TO ME THAT YOU ARE ACCUSING ME OF PATTY??? I WAS NOT BEING HURTFUL I SAID THAT AT 5'2 200 WOULD STILL BE OBESE AS SHE STATED. YOU ARE WAY OUT OF LINE ACCUSING ME OF SOMETHING I AM NOT. IF YOU DONT LIKE WHAT I POST THEN DONT READ IT.

Dont everyone read things the way they want to interpret things Patty? Maybe you should stop and think before you speak and maybe think that I was not being hurtful because after all if you don't know how to read what other write you shouldnt insinuate what they mean. Isn't that what people do ASSUME THINGS THAT THEY READ? Isnt it Patty? Aren't you assuming you know what I meant? I am a class act and a darn good one at that. So please stop harrassing me on an open forum because you don't like what I write or have little understanding how to interpret ones thoughts.

Since Lapband statistics show 50% +- EWL over 36 months, that is how I set my realistic goal. I weighed 290. The charts say I should weigh 140, so 150lb EW x 50% = 75 lb or a goal of 215. I'm 5'5" and 32 months out and weigh 202. Still obese, but a much healthier weight than my 48.2 BMI. Unreasonable goals is one of the factors that led to me gaining...my next goal is 170, BMI of 28 and overweight, but an improvement, none the less. At my age, 63, it's ok to have a few extra pounds...I got influenzaA, followed closely by influenzaB and lost 10lb in two weeks in December...only 2 have come back.

Goals need to be SMART

Specific (2 lb per week for 10 weeks for example)

Measurable (scale, measuring tape, clothing fit)

Acheivable (within our individual ability to attain)

Realistic (based on our own personal strengths and limitations, such as mobility)

Time-sensitive (smaller goals within short time frames)

I think setting a goal of your ideal BMI would not be acheivable, initially. Set smaller goals, Celebrate and recalibrate as you go along.

Best of luck to you!

right now i am wanting to get under 200 (199) and that is still considered obese.

i am 5'2 on a good day.....my dr's numbers goal weight for me is about 140 if i remember correctly. i am trying not to get all hung up on (numbers). i am right now trying to get to a number i am happy with and i know if i keep going, who knows maybe i can get to that dr's goal. i am not gonna spend alot of excess energy over it. i am more focused on health and me being more mobile.

each to their own.