Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In a lot of pain

Hi everyone I was banded in Sep. and when they did my surgery they said they would be fixing a hurniea. Since I was banded I notice a hard spot above my belly button under my scar. This gets inflamed and red and painful I went to my doctor and he said it was a hematoma and that I just need to wait do it to go away. I have continued issues with it swelling pain and redness. In Dec I went to the ER because I was having pain in my upper stomach area rite under my breast bone and the pain started moving into my back and chest. ER doctors told me they couldn't find anything and that I needed to follow up with the surgeon and my primary care doc. When I saw the surgeon he said he had no explanation and that he didn't feel it was related to my band then he went on to say that it might be because I'm heavyer in the stomach are that with me exercising it might be making me have some discomfort. (Load of crap because when I was much heavyer I worked out mor vigorously and never had any issue) my primary car doctor insisted that it was acid reflex and gave me some acid blockers (didn't help) after a while the pain started to go away but now since Sat I have been in so much pain and again not able to eat but also this time it even hurts to swallow liquids. The pain is again in my upper stomach under my breast bone and now spreads almost to my sides it's a constant pain that hurts more any time I swallow or move and sometimes when I breath. This makes everything more difficult. I also feel very nauseated and I keep feeling like I have to burp but can't. Went to a new primary care doc. Today and was given different acid blockers and had blood work done and was referred to a gastrointestinal doctor. Sorry this post is so long I'm just so sick of the doctors telling either they don't know why I'm having these pains or that it's due to my Wieght. Has anyone had any issues like this and if so did u find out what was causing it?? Thank you for any info you have in advance...

Melina

Have you had any fills yet? If so it seems you may be too tight.

It could be your gall bladder.

Sorry to hear your having pain. That pain sounds like the pain I had when I was getting gallbladder attacks. Have they looked into that? Hope your feeling better soon

Hello thank you for the responses my last fill was the Friday before Thanks Giving. So not sure if it would take that long before I would feel that it's too tight. As for the gallbladder mine was removed in 2001.

Sometimes fills take a while to kick in. I would ask for a slight unfill it might be what you need.

You also could have a UTI. Sometimes you don't have common symptoms but I would check both. You can get dip sticks from any pharmacy and if you dip your urine and it shows luekocytes then you might have a UTI. I get crazy stomach symptoms when I have one.

You need to have an upper GI. Insist on it and if your band doctor won't order it you need a new doctor ASAP!!!! Your pain sounds very similar to the pain I was having and they diagnosed me with a slipped band. It could also be your gallbladder, but only a doctor can diagnose that.

Don't give up until you get answers -- pain like that is an indication that there is something wrong and it's your doctor's job to figure out what is going on -- don't let them brush you off; make them figure it out!

I too have been in pain for several days. Banded in 2008. Lost 70lbs, gained 50 back. In Oct I had nausea & diarrhea for weeks. Went to gasto doc who did an endoscopy. Said the esophagus was inflamed & a few small ulcers. He prescribed aciphex, a proton pump inhibitor. Nausea & diarrhea went away; still taking aciphex. He told me the endoscopy showed the lap band in its normal position. I can eat and do not have nausea. But I am bloated, tight in stomach & the back pain is probably the worst. Today I had a burning feeling under left shoulder blade & tenderness in underarm.

The aciphex should have healed the gastritis after 6 weeks. Plus no nausea or diarrhea. Really trying to determine if anything else is up with the band that would not show up on endoscopy. By the way, I have never had a Floro that everyone speaks of because the bariatric surgeon I went to doesn't do them. He did unfill the band totally tho. I have still had some restriction. The only time I have experienced eating problems has been w/the usual things like bread, rice, etc.

I have an appt Thurs but tonite I'm hurting & even contemplated going to ER. Ideas??

Thank u so much for the information.. I am scheduled to go to the gastrointestinal doctor tomorrow.. I went through First Step wieght loss center her in california and it has been a nightmare... They constantly send out to contracted offices for tests, ultrasound ect and they never know what's going on. That's why I'm trying to go through a local doctor for me... As for weather u should go to the ER I think u should if you truly feel like its getting worse. At least there they will run all the test and get the results back quick...

I wanted to let u know that my pain wasn't pain related. CT scan showed lap band normal. The pain I'm having is a pinched nerve. I did go to the ER because I got afraid it was serious. Now I have relief. Thank goodness!

Sorry I just noticed 1st sentence didn't make sense. Pain is not related to lap band.

Hi. I'm back again with the abdominal pain and bloating. Still watching what I eat and even tho the endoscopy & CT scan were both normal I believe this must be lapband.