Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Post Not yet banded

I have researched and considered doing the lap band surgery for a couple years off and on. I am 28 years old 360 pounds. I am on medication for high BP and I have sleep apnea. I have been up to 395 and down to 315 in the past couple years. I am good at losing weight, HORRIBLE at keeping it off... The main thing that makes me nervous about the Lap band is I'm selfpay and the cost of complications etc.. I have been talking to Dr. Curry in Cincinnati, Ohio through e-mail and will be setting up a consultation soon. If all goes well I plan on saving money throughout the year and having the surgery at the end of this year. This forum has taught me so much, thank you guys for your stories, honesty, and helpful hints. This has painted a very clear picture of what living with a lap band truly is like.

Nice to have you here. I think most of us can say the same as you, we've all lost weight many times and either gained it back or quit before reaching goal. That is the reason I chose LBS, can't do yoyo dieting no more.

You are very wise to take your time and learn all there is to know about the LB.

You can learn something from both the one's doing it right and even from the mistakes others make.

I hung around here for 8mths before being banded and learned more here then at all the meetings I had to have to qualify. By the sound of it, you will do very well.

Wishing you all the best on your journey!

I did the same as Maddy, I found this site just about a month after a seminar about lapband weight loss surgery. I came on faithfully every day and really read a lot before I started to post. It was a straight 7 months before I was banded. I still come on often, as this is like second home to me. We all are great supporters for eachother! We keep eachother in check and we always can count on one another for moral support/motivation :)

Welcome!!!

I wish you every success. Read as much as you can and do research to be sure you are up for the band lifestyle. Asking questions here is a great way to start. The more you know, the more you will succeed. Best wishes on your journey. It is the best thing I ever did for myself.

Thanks for all of the replies! This is seriously the most supportive forum ever and that is coming from a cancer survivor who has participated in several! So I do have a question about Water consumption. I know that it varies during meal time per your surgeon, but are you limited to the amount of water you are allowed to consume daily? Water is 90% of what I drink, I don't drink pop at all. I have read a couple posts where people make it sound like they are limited, it seemed odd to me, but I figured I'd ask anyway. Thanks!

Some people have trouble drinking a lot of fluids immediately following surgery but once you're healed there shouldn't be any issues. I drink right up to meal time and then wait an hour after before I have anything else to drink. I have no trouble drinking a lot of Water while I work out either.

Awesome! Thanks for the reply! I probably drink between 100-150 ounces of Water daily. I'm happy to know that this shouldn't be a problem once I'm healed from surgery!

Hi there Creekwood, I too am a self pay thru Curry, had my surgery in July. The nuts in the office will tell you to drink no less than 64oz but have never heard of a maximum, I'm still working on it, but when I focus I can actually do it :). Go to one of their seminars and you can get a discount and of course more information and Dr. Curry is the one who does it. But I will tell you that you only see the nurses after the surgery, which is not bad, they know what they are doing and the nuts (Rebecca and Erin) are great! Isn't it cool that Dr. Curry answers questions via email, we may not see him, but still have access to him.

Wow, great info! Thanks! I watched the online seminar but If you get a discount for the in person seminar I'm there Lol. If you don't mind me asking, what is the discount? Other than the $12,999 what other fees do you have to pay as a self pay patient? Like, does that include the tests etc. that Dr Curry may require. I heard there is a $400 fee, but know very little about it to be honest. I love how accessible Dr Curry is even though I'm not technically his patient yet. I was getting responses to emails within a couple hours one day. Thanks for responding, it's awesome to talk to someone who went through the same Dr that I will be going through!

I believe the discount was towards that $400.00 fee, sorry I vaguely remember. I believe I paid $180.00 (additional to the $12,999) for the 2 week pre-op, they provide medifast shakes and bars, I thought they were good, but stay far, far away from the chili :), it is very gross and smells funny too. The bars are really good, a little too good, but only 1 bar a day. The $12,999 pays for everything else, surgery, going to Journeylite, not Jewish hospital, Jewish costs I think $1000.00 more, 2 years of fills and I see a nutritionist every time I go to a visit (this is included), and he repairs a hiatal hernia at no cost during lap band surgery if he finds one (this is not common for this surgery cost to be included as you will find reading LBT). I ended up having one that he fixed and no more reflux, yay! He only does surgery on Mondays at the Evendale office. I have a lot of work to do at home tonight to catch up, but let me dig out my docs and see if I can figure out the costs for you, I do remember that the Fast Track (work out center) will probably cost $20.13 a month, since it was $20.12 last year. But I'll get back to you, I'm on here every night and feel free to ask any questions you have, I was banded in July 2012 and Dr. Curry is very skilled. And if you didn't already know, Dr. Curry has a lap band himself. Are you in Cincinnati? I'm in Northern Kentucky, but I work in Cincinnati.