Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What if i dont want to diet?

I want to change my life, not be on a diet forever. I want to be able to eat things in moderation, which includes things like pizza once and a while.

I find a lot of people saying that they don't eat a lot of things now. Is that a choice, or because physically they cannot?

As soon as I am told I cannot have something I immediately am fixated on it. I do much better knowing I can have anything, just in moderation. I was hoping the band would help me with the quantity of food, and prevent me from eating an entire bag of chips or box of Cookies, etc. and instead help me stop with one or two.

Most of you seem like you actually diet forever and don't eat in moderation. Is that a choice or a requirement?

I am at goal basically so I am not dieting... And watching my calories like i did while i was losing.... But since don't want to gain back the weight, I listen to my band and stop after small portions. The band physically will not let me overeat but it doesn't stop me from eating the wrong things....that's up to me.

I know if I eat too many calories I will gain weight. So I chose not to do it but I certainly don't think of it as a diet...it's more of a lifestyle change.

I love the band because now I can eat anything in moderation and still lose weight.

The only things I can't eat are apple skins and rice.

When I was losing I didi have to "diet".

I find maintenance with the band VERY easy... best thing I every did.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

tomander@bell.net

Try to think of it more as a lifestyle change. Just like you, I am hoping that me and my band will figure out together what agrees with me and what doesn't. Also, something to consider is that this particular surgery works best for "volume eaters" that need Portion Control versus those that graze constantly or will cheat with ice cream, milkshakes, or other slider foods.

Good Luck!!

It's a choice to deprive yourself, not a requirement.

Personally, I am not dieting. I have changed my lifestyle and eating habits to healthy ones but deprivation is not part of that plan for me. I still eat pizza, but only one slice rather than a whole pie like I used to. In fact, I still eat whatever I want, just in moderation and within my daily calorie allowance.

I also eat bread, Pasta, rice, and potatoes regularly. I don't do the whole low carb thing. Again, it's simply not realistic in my opinion to be low carb forever.

The closest thing I do to dieting is I carb cycle when I'm trying to break a plateau or had a major cheat day I'm recovering from. But again, that's my choice not a requirement, and it's only temporary.

I'm not dieting either and haven't from day one of getting banded. For me the whole idea of getting the band was to stop the yo yo dieting. I know I can have anything I want but to be honest the things I do crave now are good wholesome, fresh foods. I no longer crave cakes, sweets, Cookies, ice cream, chips etc. I used to have chocolate once a week but no longer crave that anymore. Now I crave fruit for sweetness.

Another thing that's changed is when I go shopping, if I don't have a list of things I need I come out empty handed. Have totally lost all interest in food unless its meal time. This band has done wonderful things for me.

Thanks guys. That's exactly what I needed to hear. I have been very successful at losing in the past, with moderation and calorie counting. My downfall is the volume eating and yo yo ing. I'm a binge eater, can easily mess up a weeks worth of healthy eating in one night. That is exactly what I hope the band will help me with.

Thanks guys. That's exactly what I needed to hear. I have been very successful at losing in the past, with moderation and calorie counting. My downfall is the volume eating and yo yo ing. I'm a binge eater, can easily mess up a weeks worth of healthy eating in one night. That is exactly what I hope the band will help me with.

Just remember.. you still have to do your part.. while you don't have to deprive yourself.. you shouldn't eat till you are full either, listen to your band.. and stop before you are full.. you should feel comfortable and should eat very slowly.. good luck to ya!

I am 3 months out and not at restriction so in all reality I am on a diet, because my band is not working for me. And I figure I will be 'on a diet' (eating good choices, sticking to 1 cup of food per meal and 1200 calories per day) for the rest of my life. Call it a diet, call it healthy eating, call it good choices......it is never going to be the way it was pre band. You mentioned specifically chips and Cookies. What I have read from the vets on here that chips and cookies and cakes are the easiest things to eat in quantities being banded because they are considered sliders foods, meaning they slide on right thru. So I am not sure the band will stop you from eating a bag of chips or a sleave of cookies. It really does have to be your willpower. Good luck to you.

Wildrose, you are right. But if you are not on restriction, you will have to consider it a diet. For us vets, we know what we can and can't tolerate, not can't eat. I can't tolerate leafy anything, lettuce, spinach, etc. I can eat rice, and mashed potatoes, but stay away from bread. Bread has always been a major downfall for me when dieting, and can't eat most of it anyway. I do eat croutons, and hard rolls at times. And as one of the other people said, I do have pizza. but stop at one piece, because no more will fit!!! Best wishes, I hope this helps. Karen

My NUT says enjoy what you eat! So I do not deprive myself, but I do try to stick to my two meals and two Snacks a day for about 550-600 calories. As you get in to this you will make smarter decisions. You will now eat for nutrition that counts and satisfies. I will admit this was my first Thanksgiving and Christmas banded and it was hard. I did indulge but I counted it and started over after a bad day. I didn't like that too full feeling and the sweets like I used to love. Up two pounds and then down two pounds so I am happy with that. It is your journey and you have to live with the choices you make. It is a big change and becomes easier over time as you get used to the change, eating less and less carbs. Your taste buds actually change!

I love this thread. I am nearing my goal (about 10-15lbs away) and part of my brain is still in "diet" mode. I do track every day, and choose not to eat certain foods for fear that i will backslide and lose control. I am in the green zone but still get cravings. I am really trying to stop constantly fretting about the calories and just try to live life with the band in a way I can maintain. I'm not gonna lie, dealing with the emotion ties with food and the guilt when I eat a treat (even when I eat well 80% of the time) is a struggle.

Thanks everyone! I am very good at counting calories, and very active (I'd been training for a 1/2 marathon and running 8+ miles a week until my surgery). I really don't have an issue losing. What I have an issue with is keeping it off. I always end up going back to the binge eating, too large of portions, etc... and end up gaining the weight back. So I got a band to help me with maintenance.

I was hopeful that the band would allow me to eat like "normal" healthy, active people do - eating everything, but in moderation.